Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners: The Discussion Thread

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners: The Discussion Thread

Reply

Old Sep 27, 14, 7:19 pm
  #511  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 637
Originally Posted by RealHJ View Post
dullta.com is no longer displaying any KE flights online. So has been the case for a while now.

It's an enhancement. Now you have to call again to search for KE availability. You can't search for it online anymore (like you could on nwa.com a good 10 years ago, and until Dullta took it away the last time; now they have taken it away yet again).
So, now I've got to call in and pay the fee, right? That "enhancement" seems just another way to get more $$$ from travelers, but how good is it really since they have to waste their money on people answering the phone and making the bookings for us?
erik19283 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 14, 7:35 pm
  #512  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: HNL
Programs: DL DM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime GE), National Emerald Executive
Posts: 6,239
Originally Posted by erik19283 View Post
So, now I've got to call in and pay the fee, right? That "enhancement" seems just another way to get more $$$ from travelers, but how good is it really since they have to waste their money on people answering the phone and making the bookings for us?
Exactly. Well, now KE is the same as practically all other airlines (MU, CZ, FM, VN, GA, etc.) for which you always need to call to book. All of these (that were in SkyTeam back then) you could book easily and quickly online on nwa.com, but of course Dullta made sure to "enhance" the self-service ability to book flights online away (while all other airlines are adding online self-service ability, Dullta is working hard to take more and more of essentials such as online flight bookings away).

Exactly, Dullta makes a few pennies in the phone booking fees, but given how it can easily take 2+ hours (my personal record is over 6 hours on the phone for a routine ticket reissue after a cancelled DL flight, moving it one day up) just to force an award ticket through to actually ticket and take a team of 6 if not more Dullta staff to do that, it loses quite a bit more than it makes, as it surely costs DL more than it collects for the amount of time that the manual ticketing (with the usual few levels of escalations) takes, esp. given how extremely buggy DumbMatic is and how disempowered and untrained most of the staff are.

I think the intended effect here is a passenger not booking the award flight, as so many Dullta agents will just say "nothing available" due to having incorrect instructions and training and not knowing how to accurately search for flights (as if they follow the instructions, it just won't work, as the instructions/training are wrong (so purposefully?)), and the passenger not spending hours of required online search on various sites beforehand. So, the intended effect here is most pax not booking award flights they could get, and instead letting the SkyMiles die with them, or otherwise paying double or quadruple miles for DL flights.
RealHJ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 14, 10:54 am
  #513  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: DFW
Programs: AA 1M
Posts: 27,137
Originally Posted by RealHJ View Post
Exactly, Dullta makes a few pennies in the phone booking fees, but given how it can easily take 2+ hours (my personal record is over 6 hours on the phone for a routine ticket reissue after a cancelled DL flight, moving it one day up) just to force an award ticket through to actually ticket and take a team of 6 if not more Dullta staff to do that, it loses quite a bit more than it makes, as it surely costs DL more than it collects for the amount of time that the manual ticketing (with the usual few levels of escalations) takes, esp. given how extremely buggy DumbMatic is and how disempowered and untrained most of the staff are.
Reminds me of when UA double charged me for a RTW. Spend several hours at PHL sorting it out.
UA Fan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 14, 5:49 pm
  #514  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SFO
Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
Posts: 879
This is so sad. Hate calling in and actually thought DL was going in the right direction with KE availability. AS site is actually not that great with showing avail KE either in my opinion. Shows some but not really. KE for GRU-LAX on DL.com use to be quite good in the past.
mrkymark is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 14, 6:55 pm
  #515  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: HNL
Programs: DL DM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime GE), National Emerald Executive
Posts: 6,239
Originally Posted by mrkymark View Post
This is so sad. Hate calling in and actually thought DL was going in the right direction with KE availability. AS site is actually not that great with showing avail KE either in my opinion. Shows some but not really. KE for GRU-LAX on DL.com use to be quite good in the past.
But even how it was on dullta.com is not comparable to how it was on nwa.com (until 2009 or was it 2010?): you could book ANY SkyTeam airline awards online easily in a matter of minutes (or even seconds). Plus, you could see the full ticket receipt online (now only partial; full only comes in a malformatted and untested e-mail that freezes Outlook for some 15-20 minutes before you can print) and all the other airline PNRs online (now those don't shown anywhere ever and you need to call and beg for that if you want to do seat assignments or online checkin). You practically never needed to call...vs. with DL you almost always have to call for everything.
RealHJ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 14, 1:48 am
  #516  
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: DEN/SFO/PVG
Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Gold, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, NA EE, Hertz PC
Posts: 17,104
Originally Posted by RealHJ View Post
dullta.com is no longer displaying any KE flights online. So has been the case for a while now.

It's an enhancement. Now you have to call again to search for KE availability. You can't search for it online anymore (like you could on nwa.com a good 10 years ago, and until Dullta took it away the last time; now they have taken it away yet again).
Sheesh seriously? Not that DL.com was even stable at looking at KE flights. Many times about a year ago when I was searching KE flights, one minute it was there, one minute it was not.

My only word of advice here is to search by schedule. But if they are gone now they are gone. DL is doing everything to make booking partner awards impossible again, so much for making the FFP better.
mnredfox is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 14, 7:12 am
  #517  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York, NY
Programs: UA 1K, DL Platinum, BA Gold
Posts: 137
question on award ticket changes

I hope this is the correct thread for this question...

I originally booked the following award ticket for two people RT in business class for 160K miles each:

JFK-FCO (stopover)
FCO-CDG-JNB (destination)
JNB-CDG-JFK

I then called to add in a domestic stopover in Italy so instead of stopping over in FCO, we were stopping over in Bari and the new itinerary looked like this:

JFK-FCO-BRI (stopover)
BRI-FCO-CDG-JNB (destination)
JNB-CDG-JFK

However, when I spoke the the Platinum desk they said that the system wanted to charge me an additional 60K miles for the BRI stopover. I argued saying that it's still in the same region and instead of stopping over in FCO i'm now doing it in BRI so it should be the same miles. They got the ticketing department on and they couldn't explain it either but agreed to reissue it for free for me since I'm Platinum.

I now have to change the 2nd pax to fly the following (all avail at low level) but I don't want to run into the same issue with DL trying to charge me more miles:

JFK-FCO-BRI (stopover)
BRI-FCO-CDG-JNB (destination)
JNB-CDG-ATL-SBN

Anyone know what's going on here and what I need to tell them to get this to work? I'm thinking maybe it has something to do with married segments.
elbombo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 14, 8:24 am
  #518  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 2,791
Originally Posted by elbombo View Post
I hope this is the correct thread for this question...

I originally booked the following award ticket for two people RT in business class for 160K miles each:

JFK-FCO (stopover)
FCO-CDG-JNB (destination)
JNB-CDG-JFK

I then called to add in a domestic stopover in Italy so instead of stopping over in FCO, we were stopping over in Bari and the new itinerary looked like this:

JFK-FCO-BRI (stopover)
BRI-FCO-CDG-JNB (destination)
JNB-CDG-JFK

However, when I spoke the the Platinum desk they said that the system wanted to charge me an additional 60K miles for the BRI stopover. I argued saying that it's still in the same region and instead of stopping over in FCO i'm now doing it in BRI so it should be the same miles. They got the ticketing department on and they couldn't explain it either but agreed to reissue it for free for me since I'm Platinum.

I now have to change the 2nd pax to fly the following (all avail at low level) but I don't want to run into the same issue with DL trying to charge me more miles:

JFK-FCO-BRI (stopover)
BRI-FCO-CDG-JNB (destination)
JNB-CDG-ATL-SBN

Anyone know what's going on here and what I need to tell them to get this to work? I'm thinking maybe it has something to do with married segments.
JFK-FCO-BRI-FCO-CDG-JNB is 5 segments and the limit is 4 segments each way. Find a city with non-stop flights to both FCO and CDG and you should be ok, i.e. JFK-FCO-XXX-CDG-JNB.
michael_v is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 14, 3:17 am
  #519  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 24
I still see KE award availability on delta.com
mquads is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 14, 6:52 am
  #520  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 637
Originally Posted by mquads View Post
I still see KE award availability on delta.com
I confirm! I couldn't get anything to show up not long ago, and I just tried the same dates I had tried and now KE flights magically show up on my screen!
erik19283 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 14, 9:54 am
  #521  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Boston
Programs: AA Plat Exec
Posts: 431
I can't access the award calendar anymore...

I am trying to find alternatives routes and dates for a 2 weeks travel from SFO to MRS, but each time I click on 'Calendar Award' after having selected specified FROM and TO dates, it no longer display that calendar. How to access it so I can find best days to travel for minimal # of miles?
sorka is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 14, 10:02 am
  #522  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 2,791
Originally Posted by sorka View Post
I can't access the award calendar anymore...

I am trying to find alternatives routes and dates for a 2 weeks travel from SFO to MRS, but each time I click on 'Calendar Award' after having selected specified FROM and TO dates, it no longer display that calendar. How to access it so I can find best days to travel for minimal # of miles?
The award calendar is for Delta operated flights only. DL does not fly to Marseille, therefore it cannot be used in this case. You will have to search segment by segment. Or use the calendar for SFO-CDG and/or SFO-AMS and then adding the AMS/PAR-MRS segment should be easy. If you PM me your travel dates, class of service and number of people, I can help.

Last edited by michael_v; Oct 6, 14 at 10:09 am
michael_v is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 14, 1:01 am
  #523  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SFO
Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
Posts: 879
YAY

Originally Posted by erik19283 View Post
I confirm! I couldn't get anything to show up not long ago, and I just tried the same dates I had tried and now KE flights magically show up on my screen!
Yay, kudos for DL to restore KE availability!
mrkymark is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 14, 1:37 am
  #524  
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: DEN/SFO/PVG
Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Gold, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, NA EE, Hertz PC
Posts: 17,104
Originally Posted by mrkymark View Post
Yay, kudos for DL to restore KE availability!
While nice to have it back, let's not forget getting something back that was foolishly taken away from us in the first place really isn't cause for celebration.
mnredfox is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 14, 10:52 am
  #525  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: VIE
Programs: DL Gold
Posts: 35
I have been thinking to book an Award via VIE - AMS - MCT, but can't find any availability online. KL441 has a stopover in DOH, might that be the reason? Is there any chance I might get availability over the phone?
Daoane is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread