Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners: The Discussion Thread

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners: The Discussion Thread

Old Mar 9, 14, 10:58 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Was looking at potentially using some miles for a few internal sectors on an upcoming trip to South America and noticed that award tickets were pricing out a 25k Y / 40k J. I thought that inter-South America flights were 20k Y / 30k J, at least that is what I could have swore I saw last month when I started looking. Did these recently go up in price or was there some sort of glitch before that was pricing these awards out lower before? If so, then I am kicking myself for not booking something a few weeks ago...
Old Mar 13, 14, 1:47 pm

Does Delta.com not show any HA (Hawaiian) international flights? I'm looking to get on the HNL-ICN flight, but it never shows up for any date.
Old Mar 13, 14, 5:01 pm

Programs: DL DM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime GE), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by waingro View Post
Does Delta.com not show any HA (Hawaiian) international flights? I'm looking to get on the HNL-ICN flight, but it never shows up for any date.
I believe that as of a year or two ago you can redeem DL miles only for, and earn on, HA inter-island flights only and no others.

Until a while ago you could redeem it for, and earn on, HA flights HNL to PPT, PPG, MNL and SYD. But, that seems to have been removed back in 2013, or may be even 2012. (HA flights HNL to ICN, NRT, KIX, FUK, CTS, SDJ, TPE and PEK, however, have been never bookable using DL SM and have been always blocked from both earning and redeeming.)
Old Mar 13, 14, 6:11 pm

Ahh....you're right. This is from Hawaiian's website:

"Delta SkyMiles
Earn: Delta SkyMiles members can earn miles when they fly Hawaiian Airlines' eligible flights. Click Here for more information.

Redeem: Delta SkyMiles members can redeem their miles for tickets on Hawaiian Airlines' interisland route network within the Hawaiian Islands. Contact Delta Airlines to book your award ticket now."

For some reason, I always thought HA was SkyTeam.
Old Mar 13, 14, 7:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime GE), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by waingro View Post
For some reason, I always thought HA was SkyTeam.
It's not...HA works with everyone. You can earn and redeem on HA from DL, AA, UA, AS and VS (I think also from QF, JL, NH and a few others also).

It's unlikely for HA to go into any alliance, as it is better off working with everyone, and is growing at a massive pace adding a new int'l route or two every quarter for the last few years.

If you want to book HA int'l flights, then you can use your AA miles to book HNL-SYD, HNL-SDJ, HNL-CTS, etc., etc. AA doesn't block redemption on any HA int'l flight, to the best of my knowledge. (Not sure about others.) And, you can easily book it right online on www.aa.com.
Old Mar 13, 14, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by RealHJ View Post
It's not...HA works with everyone. You can earn and redeem on HA from DL, AA, UA, AS and VS (I think also from QF, JL, NH and a few others also).

It's unlikely for HA to go into any alliance, as it is better off working with everyone, and is growing at a massive pace adding a new int'l route or two every quarter for the last few years.

If you want to book HA int'l flights, then you can use your AA miles to book HNL-SYD, HNL-SDJ, HNL-CTS, etc., etc. AA doesn't block redemption on any HA int'l flight, to the best of my knowledge. (Not sure about others.) And, you can easily book it right online on www.aa.com.
While there is no doubt HA are growing, their hard product in J is outdated, recent review here:

http://thepointsguy.com/2014/03/flig...utdated-seats/
Old Mar 13, 14, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by michael_v View Post
While there is no doubt HA are growing, their hard product in J is outdated, recent review here:

http://thepointsguy.com/2014/03/flig...utdated-seats/
Absolutely, it's outright horrible. It's as uncomfortable as DL (and others) domestic "F". Very slight recline, slightly wider seat (at best, it's like premium economy). Impossible to sleep in or even rest comfortably in. And yet, those are the seats that HA is putting in on all their new A330s, and I believe plan for their new A350s as well.

The HA FF is very poor also: 2x+ higher redemption values than DL on the same routes (though now with the recent devaluations, it's slightly less of a difference), redemption generally only on direct HA flights only and thus lack of any meaningful connections (for awards, that is), and lackuster availability.

So, HA is really not recommended for anything but inter-island. And also they are known to cancel int'l routes with just a few weeks notice (look at the recent HNL-FUK and HNL-MNL cancellations with little advance notice thereof).
Old Mar 14, 14, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Gold, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, NA EE, Hertz PC
HA is sort of like AS WRT not joining an alliance.
Old Mar 14, 14, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by mnredfox View Post
HA is sort of like AS WRT not joining an alliance.
Very much. AS and HA are also similar for their business/first seating, and good food and service, but lacking on in-flight comfort. Except that HA flies many 2x+ longer routes than the longest that AS does, so the lack of in-flight comfort (in business class) is more notable.
Old Mar 14, 14, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
The HA FF is very poor also
I've heard the award booking process is also a nightmare.
Old Mar 14, 14, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan View Post
I've heard the award booking process is also a nightmare.
It's the opposite. Very easy, all online.

But, if you need anything else or have any problems, perpetually long hold times on the phone and rather poor service out of the outsourced call centre in Philippines.
Old Mar 14, 14, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
It's the opposite. Very easy, all online.

But, if you need anything else or have any problems, perpetually long hold times on the phone and rather poor service out of the outsourced call centre in Philippines.
I was referring to the partner award booking. That is possible only over the phone right?
Old Mar 14, 14, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan View Post
I was referring to the partner award booking. That is possible only over the phone right?
Oh yes, that is right. The HA call centre is..not the most helpful. It's fine, but certainly not fast or efficient.
Old Apr 15, 14, 12:53 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
Hi, guys,

I'm interested in booking the new CZ JFK-CAN flights later this year. I already found the availability using AF website. But I can't find anything using DL website, is it because CZ awards are simply not bookable using DL website? Will DL charge a phone ticketing fee if I call to book? If DL website doesn't show CZ awards, is it safe to assume DL should charge the same tax & fees as I see on AF? DL website is a major PITA. TIA.
Old Apr 15, 14, 8:45 pm

With the massive downgrade from nwa.com / 012 tickets to delta.com / 006 tickets, Delta took away the ability to book all but very few awards online. Delta has been continually taking away more and more self-service online to drive the majority of requests to be only handled by phone. So yes, for this like for most award non-DL awards, you will need to call to book by phone and pay the phone ticketing fees.

The taxes and fees should be generally the same, but it may not be necessarily so, due to ForEx for one and also due to sometimes one ticketing airline applying YQ ("fuel" surcharge) and others not.

Search this Thread