Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners: The Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners: The Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mtkeller
Bank them to AS. You can then bank some of your future AA travel to AS as well to get up to enough miles to book a trip.
+1, AS if you don't have any DL SM.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 3:09 pm

Thumbs up mnredfox

Originally Posted by illinidad
Thanks very, very much for taking time to put this together and maintain it.^^^
+1000000 (thanks, not skypesos )

This thread should be a sticky.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 6:05 am

This is all superb information, and reduces the time needed to learn all of these intricacies from months of reading various threads to a half an hour. Invaluable information, and it clearly took a while to gather the information and put it all together in such a straightforward, easy-to-understand manor, so it's hugely appreciated.

I typically fly *A, and it can take months of time to piece all of this information together when starting from scratch with a new alliance. So THANK YOU!!

A couple of suggestions: Since redeeming miles for J travel is the goal of many FTers, could you indicate the type of seat in J for each partner. It doesn't take too much time to hunt to find this information elsewhere, but it'd be helpful to have it here, or at least links to other seat threads. For instance, until very recently, Lufthansa didn't have flat-bed J seats on any of their a/c, which would be helpful information to have up front for Delta's partners.

Also, general availability of award seats might help, as well as timing of when those award seats are available. You've given us the tools to do our own searches, which is a great help, but if a particular partner rarely/never has award seats available in J, for instance, it would be nice to know up front rather than spend time on a futile search. Also, if it's known the best time to search for award seats, that would be helpful, too. For instance, on *A, on Lufthansa, they release F award inventory a couple of weeks prior to the flight, and knowing this type of information is really helpful.

Thanks again!
Old Sep 25, 2012, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ConciergeBrandon
+1000000 (thanks, not skypesos )

This thread should be a sticky.
Thanks. It's already a sticky in my book. Funny cause I've had to use my own thread a lot recently.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I spoke with an agent today regarding booking classes for HA. I found T for HNL-PPT on ExpertFlyer. When she found nothing, and the next flights also found nothing I asked her what fare class she was using for coach. She said Z, then went off to check and came back saying Z as in zebra for coach and D for business. I won't call a conversation with one agent authoritative. delta.com errored-out on the dates for which I had found T inventory.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 8:11 am

Programs: american airlines
What is AS?
Old Sep 28, 2012, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by peopleplatters
What is AS?
Alaska airlines...
Old Sep 28, 2012, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by peopleplatters
What is AS?
This thread is barely 3 pages long and you ask a question that this thread is created to answer? Please always read the first page before asking questions. You'll never learn if you always have members just answer questions.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by llamagatekeeper
This thread is barely 3 pages long and you ask a question that this thread is created to answer? Please always read the first page before asking questions. You'll never learn if you always have members just answer questions.
Easy on the newbie. Easy there.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:21 am

Programs: UA
Are questions about Delta RTW Awards fine? If so, can you book Delta partners like MH?
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:36 am

Hello,

I have a question. I am fairly new to all of this, and have not used any of my miles except for delta. I plan on taking a trip to Hong Kong next year. What would be my best way of going from Atlanta for 2 economy tickets at 70k each?
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Easy on the newbie. Easy there.
I rewrote that several times and it still comes out harsh...haha.

It's just frustrating to see a lot of the hard work that mnredfox put to use wasn't being used. He's done an excellent job at condensing information in one location. I will applaud the fact of asking a question in this thread instead of starting a new post
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by edh101985
Hello,

I have a question. I am fairly new to all of this, and have not used any of my miles except for delta. I plan on taking a trip to Hong Kong next year. What would be my best way of going from Atlanta for 2 economy tickets at 70k each?
Korean Air (KE) has really good availability when they are not in the blackout season. ATL - ICN - HKG all on KE would work pretty easily as it isn't impossible to get multiple seats. You'll have to call Delta for availability, but in my experience the call centers are getting a lot better at performing/knowing how to perform a long sell.

China Southern (CZ) is another potential, but will cost more as they have fuel surcharges (YQ) that are currently collected and nothing direct to HK. China Eastern (MU) also operates flights to HKG, but I don't think they have anything direct from ATL and would need a few connections inside the US and then route through PVG...not optimal, but you could make it work. If you want help I'm more than happy to keep discussing over PM.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 2:11 pm

Programs: Delta DM
This may be the most helpful and brilliant thread on FT. Thank you so much for the effort(s) that went into it!
Old Sep 28, 2012, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by RealHJ
Care to provide a screenshot of what to look for there and how to search?

(And yes, I don't think it shows on the English site. At least on the HK English site I used to search for revenue flights (to see the aircraft type mostly, is it the good 33E or not), it doesn't show award availability from what I recall.)
Here it is. The url is www.ceair.com

Home Page. You need to specify "domestic" and "international". For "international", need to choose "From China" or "To China", and which region you are going to/from.

Result Page.

Showing award availability.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.