Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners: The Discussion Thread

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners: The Discussion Thread

Old Jan 26, 14, 8:32 pm

Programs: DL DM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime GE), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by VladQ View Post
+1, but you should nevertheless try to get booked on such non-SkyTeam flight using SkyTeam airline's award class space. Indeed it's rather an exception than a rule, but there are multiple non-ST airlines codesharing with ST airlines and flights on their metal is bookable using ST airline's award space. Those airlines are usually independent of an alliance, for example, AZ7178 is actually operated by FB (FB190), but you can get an award seat in economy class on FCO-SOF 2/2/14 flight using SkyMiles. Same for AF1936 CDG-KBP on 1/31/14 - it's operated by PS (PS128), but you can book two award seats in business on that flight using SkyMiles.
This is a good point, if there is a SkyTeam codeshare for it and the ST codesharing airline cancelled one of their flights, even if they never release award seats on such codeshare flights (e.g. AZ never sells award seats on its BT codshare flights), they may be able to make an exception for that once. However, it is a long shot, with a chance of success at 0.000001% likely (need to escalate it may levels, get in touch with the right person at the other airline, then they need to release the seat and DL needs to book it right away before someone else does), and likely many more hours spent in frustration trying to get it arranged than the actual flying time (i.e., not worth your time - which is the whole point here, DL just wants you to cancel and refund and wash their hands of it).
Old Jan 30, 14, 10:23 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Here's a question: was told by an agent tonight that AR flights operated by Austral (from what I can gather it's their equivalent to DL Connection) can't be booked with SkyMiles when I tried to book an AEP-GRU segment an a Business award ticket. He claimed that this was told to him by the rate desk, which didn't seem right to me. Has anyone had experience with booking these flights? Right now I have that segment on GOL instead, but would like to change with something with Business (or "Club Economy").
Old Jan 30, 14, 11:32 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by Berto View Post
Here's a question: was told by an agent tonight that AR flights operated by Austral (from what I can gather it's their equivalent to DL Connection) can't be booked with SkyMiles when I tried to book an AEP-GRU segment an a Business award ticket. He claimed that this was told to him by the rate desk, which didn't seem right to me. Has anyone had experience with booking these flights? Right now I have that segment on GOL instead, but would like to change with something with Business (or "Club Economy").
Those flights are not actual codeshares and are eligible for SkyTeam Award Redemption purposes, but they don't have a Business Cabin:

[KVS Availability Tool 7.3.4/Diamond - Awards/SkyTeam/FR-AF]
Code:
AEP  Buenos Aires Jorge Newbery BA AR [SABE]
GRU  Sao Paulo Guarulhos Intl SP BR [SBGR]
THU  01 May 2014 | 1 Seat

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive         St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  ------------
AR         2240    BUE   07:00     GRU   09:45              YS+
AR         2274    BUE   09:40     GRU   12:25              YS+
AR         2244    BUE   16:15     GRU   19:00              YS+
AR         1248    BUE   19:25     GRU   22:10              YS+
Old Jan 31, 14, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by KVS View Post
Those flights are not actual codeshares and are eligible for SkyTeam Award Redemption purposes, but they don't have a Business Cabin:

[KVS Availability Tool 7.3.4/Diamond - Awards/SkyTeam/FR-AF]
Code:
AEP  Buenos Aires Jorge Newbery BA AR [SABE]
GRU  Sao Paulo Guarulhos Intl SP BR [SBGR]
THU  01 May 2014 | 1 Seat

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive         St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  ------------
AR         2240    BUE   07:00     GRU   09:45              YS+
AR         2274    BUE   09:40     GRU   12:25              YS+
AR         2244    BUE   16:15     GRU   19:00              YS+
AR         1248    BUE   19:25     GRU   22:10              YS+
Yeah, that's what I saw; but the agent indicated that I wouldn't be able to even book economy on that AR flight either. Now, this makes things stranger. Guess I'll be giving Delta a call today from the office.

Separate from this; how does one book AR's Club Economy class with a Delta? I was under the impression that was their business/first class, and I would think there would be a way to book it, no? If I cant get it on that AEP-GRU segment, I'd love to know if I can expect to be able to book it for my planned side trip to USH.
Old Jan 31, 14, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Gold, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, NA EE, Hertz PC
Yeah, that's what I saw; but the agent indicated that I wouldn't be able to even book economy on that AR flight either. Now, this makes things stranger. Guess I'll be giving Delta a call today from the office.

Separate from this; how does one book AR's Club Economy class with a Delta? I was under the impression that was their business/first class, and I would think there would be a way to book it, no? If I cant get it on that AEP-GRU segment, I'd love to know if I can expect to be able to book it for my planned side trip to USH.
Ask for the ST or international desk.
Old Jan 31, 14, 9:27 am
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

AR "Club Economy" is Premium Economy, not Business and cannot be booked as a SkyTeam Award.
Old Jan 31, 14, 9:35 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
I'm trying to complete an award trip for me and my family (total of 3 px) for the summer and have had no luck figuring out the return. We are flying back end of June from BEG back to CAE, and the best I can find so far is:

FCO-YYZ in Y on 6/28
YYZ-ATL-CAE in Y on 6/29

Still need to get us to FCO (Alitalia's noon flight only has 2 award seats open and I need 3), and I guess last resort will be buying one-way tix. I'm also trying to avoid the overnight in Toronto, but so far no luck trying any other int'l gateway on the return (looked at ATL, DTW, NYC, BOS, PHL).
Old Feb 3, 14, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by KVS View Post
AR "Club Economy" is Premium Economy, not Business and cannot be booked as a SkyTeam Award.
Actually, it appears that this is possible. After I booked my AEP-GRU-ATL-ECP flights on a combination of G3 and DL, low availability opened back up on the GRU-ATL-ECP flights, so I called up Delta again to try to swap over to the Aerolineas flight. Asking if there was "Business Class" available for the entire routing if I swapped to AR2244, I was given an affirmative. It took the agent some work, but I now find myself ticketed in Z on that AR segment which is visible in both KVS and Expertflyer under the regular availability searches and comes up as either Premium Economy or Business depending on where you look. For a point of reference prior to calling it was Z2 for the flight in question and right after booking it decreased to Z1. It's definitely possible...that or I'm going to be in for a surprise in May!
Old Feb 8, 14, 5:01 pm

I'm looking at trying to put an award itinerary together in business. I've noticed that for PPT->LAX O(AF Biz Award) inventory doesn't seem to be available still close in, but X(AF Econ Award) inventory seems to be available pretty far out.

Is it possible to book the business itinerary for most flights but grab the X inventory for the PPT->LAX segment and then call and pay the change fee to get O when/if it opens?

if anyone is wondering trying to put together something like below
Looking to try
DCA -DL> LAX -VA> BNE -VA> CNS | Open Jaw | AKL -TN> PPT (stopover) -AF> LAX -AS> DCA

Last edited by ethos; Feb 8, 14 at 8:58 pm Reason: added airlines to be more specific
Old Feb 8, 14, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Award: SJO-NRT/HND (stopover)-CGK-PHX Biz class

I'm trying to price out an award ticket for my kid. As I read the new award chart, it says 60k Biz from Central America, and 70k to US/Canada.

I should be able to get a free stopover in NRT on this, with CGK as the destination. As usual you've got to look at it one segment at a time on DL.com. I've found some segments without problems, but not sure if an agent will be able to tie it all together or not.

First segment in late September, second segment in late October, and the return would in early Jan 2015.

I'd think either KE or CI would be the best partners. If I recall right, KE had one of their flights with a connection in NRT. Maybe CI on the return.

If anyone has booked something similar, or has any ideas, let me know.
Old Feb 8, 14, 8:16 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by ethos View Post
I'm looking at trying to put an award itinerary together in business. I've noticed that for PPT->LAX O inventory doesn't seem to be available still close in, but X inventory seems to be available pretty far out.

Is it possible to book the business itinerary for most flights but grab the X inventory for the PPT->LAX segment and then call and pay the change fee to get O when/if it opens?

if anyone is wondering trying to put together something like below
Looking to try
IAD/DCA -> LAX -> BNE -> CNS | Open Jaw | AKL -> PPT (stopover) -> LAX -> IAD/DCA
You should mention specifically that X and O are AF award classes. I don't think many here are redeeming often on LAX-PPT to know this. There is also TN (which you are obviously using to fly back from AKL) where award classes are I and W.

The answer to your question is Yes. Go ahead and book X and set up an alert on AF O in EF. By the way, your taxes will be messed up with this routing as DL computers add TN taxes on LAX-PPT, even if you fly AF.
Old Feb 8, 14, 8:59 pm

Edited post to reflect AF and TN plus that O and X were AF booking classes.

Thanks for your answer. Since TN can't be booked via the web, is it better to make a award booking online and call in to add TN or do the whole thing via phone?
Old Feb 8, 14, 11:00 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ethos View Post
Edited post to reflect AF and TN plus that O and X were AF booking classes.

Thanks for your answer. Since TN can't be booked via the web, is it better to make a award booking online and call in to add TN or do the whole thing via phone?
My personal preference is to book as much as possible online (faster and more reliable) and only call to add segments that can only be booked by phone. I assume you did not book AKL-PPT leg too as it requires a phone call too. As for whether to book TN or AF in J (should you have a choice) - I would go with AF.
Old Feb 9, 14, 8:37 am

Thanks again.

If i can pay the fee to move from AF X to AF 0, then i assume i could do the same to move from TN I to AF O. Unless there would be an issue due to changing the partner. This way i'd at least be able to confirm a business product and setup an alert for AF O space. That way if the AF award business product never opens up i still have confirmed business.
Old Feb 9, 14, 1:54 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Yes, you can do that. There will be a slight tax difference (that can be in either direction including refunding) on top of the change fee with this scenario. But that said, check the departure times to make sure that they work for you. If AF leaves in the early morning this would force you to have an overnight in PPT (I assume you plan to go to the outer islands) vs TN flights which usually depart late in the evening making same-day connections from VT possible.

Search this Thread