Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners: The Discussion Thread

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners: The Discussion Thread

Old Jul 15, 13, 5:32 am

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by kilton View Post
Hello,

Can someone give a current status on booking AF flights with DL miles? What is the recommended search site/tool? Is there still an issue with faux classic award space on AF's site?

Thanks!

JFK ATH plenty of AF J inventory last few weeks on DL. Dumb Have you tried a
Regular search yet ?
Old Jul 15, 13, 7:01 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Hello,

Can someone give a current status on booking AF flights with DL miles? What is the recommended search site/tool? Is there still an issue with faux classic award space on AF's site?

Thanks!
ExpertFlyer is still the most reliable search tool. It's not "faux" classic space on the FlyingBlue engine, it's that AF is not making more award space available to their members than to partners. EF shows the inventory available to most partners. (AS gets more, apparently, because they're willing to pay AF more for the space as they collect more miles from their members now, matching the rates FB charges.)

Originally Posted by edh101985 View Post
Can this be possible? Atlanta to Sydney as a stop over. Then fly from Sydney to Tokyo on Vietnam airways for the main destination. Then fly home from Tokyo back to Atl.
SYD would have to be your destination and NRT your stopover. It may price out at 150K in J (100K in Y), but the trick will be how DL attempts to validate SYD-SGN-NRT-ATL. It comes in under the 25M level of MPM, which might work, but the usual trick of VN having a fare routed that way doesn't appear to work. It may be easier (if outside blackout dates) to fly KE and take a stopover in ICN and just pay for SEL-TYO and back.
Old Jul 15, 13, 9:16 am

Programs: Delta DM MM
Originally Posted by mtkeller View Post
ExpertFlyer is still the most reliable search tool. It's not "faux" classic space on the FlyingBlue engine, it's that AF is not making more award space available to their members than to partners. EF shows the inventory available to most partners. (AS gets more, apparently, because they're willing to pay AF more for the space as they collect more miles from their members now, matching the rates FB charges.)
So if EF shows availability for award in Business on AF, is there any way to know if any of those seats can be booked using skymiles. Trying to book a business award to PPT (very popular route I know) but EF shows lots of availability next spring. Nothing will show up on Delta.com. I have booked awards in business to Europe on AF without difficulty but cant get any date to show availability on that route (cant get ATN to show up either) Is this a route that has to be done over the phone?

Last edited by Denal1; Jul 15, 13 at 9:26 am
Old Jul 15, 13, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Denal1 View Post
So if EF shows availability for award in Business on AF, is there any way to know if any of those seats can be booked using skymiles. Trying to book a business award to PPT (very popular route I know) but EF shows lots of availability next spring. Nothing will show up on Delta.com. I have booked awards in business to Europe on AF without difficulty but cant get any date to show availability on that route (cant get ATN to show up either) Is this a route that has to be done over the phone?
If O inventory shows on EF, it should be available to DL. Have you tried multi-city by schedule to force it to show the inventory (or just searching the one LAX-PPT segment)? I know I've seen LAX-PPT online before, but the ways of DL.dumb are not predictable.
Old Jul 15, 13, 9:41 am

If O inventory shows on EF, it should be available to DL. Have you tried multi-city by schedule to force it to show the inventory (or just searching the one LAX-PPT segment)? I know I've seen LAX-PPT online before, but the ways of DL.dumb are not predictable.
Thanks, I will give it a shot! Think I was confusing C and O awards. Only O awards are available for Delta right?

Last edited by Denal1; Jul 15, 13 at 10:00 am
Old Jul 15, 13, 10:13 am

Thanks, I will give it a shot! Think I was confusing C and O awards. Only O awards are available for Delta right?
That is correct.
Old Jul 15, 13, 10:18 am

That is correct.
Thanks!
Old Jul 15, 13, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by PETERPNYC View Post
JFK ATH plenty of AF J inventory last few weeks on DL. Dumb Have you tried a
Regular search yet ?
Indeed, but no calendar search is a bit of a drag, and since the reputation of DL's search is so bad I was worried it would leave stuff out and/or show availability and then not actually allow it to be booked (or maybe UA has this patented).

Thanks folks for the EF clarification -- I figured O was the "Available, but maybe not to DL" space. That'll make it easy.
Old Jul 15, 13, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Indeed, but no calendar search is a bit of a drag, and since the reputation of DL's search is so bad I was worried it would leave stuff out and/or show availability and then not actually allow it to be booked (or maybe UA has this patented).

Thanks folks for the EF clarification -- I figured O was the "Available, but maybe not to DL" space. That'll make it easy.
Ignore the calendar. Just check city pair on each of your possible dates and see what comes up. That is far more reliable than what the calendar shows you.

O is the space available to DL.

If it shows O, then DL can book it. Otherwise they are not available to DL members.
Old Jul 17, 13, 8:57 am

Anyway to check Award availability in Business on Air Tahiti Nui. I can see "I" availability for lots of dates but assume that TN only makes certain seats available to partners. Anyway to know or do you just have to call. I cant see that they split their awards like Air France ("O" and "C")
Old Jul 17, 13, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Has anyone noticed a difference in SV's availability on af.com vs. DL? A RUH-CDG flight showed available on af.com but the DL agent could not see it.
Old Jul 17, 13, 11:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, AA GLD, former DL DM
Anyway to check Award availability in Business on Air Tahiti Nui. I can see "I" availability for lots of dates but assume that TN only makes certain seats available to partners. Anyway to know or do you just have to call. I cant see that they split their awards like Air France ("O" and "C")
IIRC, all of TN's I inventory on EF is indeed available to partners. Granted, my experience has been with using AA miles for TN award travel, but it is likely that the situation is the same for DL miles.
Old Jul 17, 13, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by lamont2718 View Post
IIRC, all of TN's I inventory on EF is indeed available to partners. Granted, my experience has been with using AA miles for TN award travel, but it is likely that the situation is the same for DL miles.
Thanks. Will call them!
Old Jul 17, 13, 7:56 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
TN does not (to my knowledge) limit any award space for their own members only. If I is available when checking via EF, call DL to book. It is possible though that DL agent will not be able to "see" the flight with I/W availability if that flight was added recently. I had this issue when trying to book award seats on additional flights that TN added for the winter holidays season and it took me about a week or two and multiple calls to book seats on such flight (even though they were showing in EF).
Old Jul 17, 13, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM (FO soon), A3 Gold, TK Classic Plus, SPG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, National EE
Thanks. Will call them!
Call, be ready to ask if they can long sell, and be ready to call again. Agents frequently have issues with TN and it may take a few calls to get a winner.

Search this Thread