Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners: The Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners: The Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2013, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by RealHJ
Isn't it that a published route is only required for US domestic travel, but that for int'l it just has to stay within MPM and not be backtracking and then it's generally fine?
I've only done domestic, so would have to defer to others more expert than myself.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 1:25 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan
The valid routing is the key; pretty much means it has to be a typical Delta transfer airport which LAX is. For example, I think you won't be able to do stopovers in Memphis anymore since it won't be a valid routing anymore.
I suspect that MEM will remain in the routing rules for a long time. There are all sorts of routings that are not possible any more that exist in the routing rules today. Airlines tend not to delete routings unless they become problematic. Since it will be hard to get flights through MEM, it's unlikely the routings will become problematic.

Originally Posted by RealHJ
Isn't it that a published route is only required for US domestic travel, but that for int'l it just has to stay within MPM and not be backtracking and then it's generally fine?
Correct, although I think there are some international destinations within the Americas that use routings. An MPM is a published routing, so it's fine to refer to it that way.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 9:03 am

Programs: AA EXP
I apologize in advance questions that I am sure have been asked and answered in the past. I'm new to redeeming skymiles.

I am trying to book a JFK-CDG-MRU award in Business.
As far as I understand it, the low level award should cost 120,000 miles.

AF business seats are only available using Skymiles in booking code O, right?
Using expertflyer to find O seats, I see availability on the desired date, but DL.com prices the itinerary at 212,500 miles per person. Is this just a matter of the website pricing incorrectly or are there different levels for O awards too?

Thanks for your help.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 9:20 am

There's only one level for AF O space. Is JFK-CDG and back on AF or DL? It sounds like you're not getting low level space over the Atlantic.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 9:44 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by mtkeller
There's only one level for AF O space. Is JFK-CDG and back on AF or DL? It sounds like you're not getting low level space over the Atlantic.
Thanks, you were right--I didn't realize the return was on DL.
Interesting that DL charges less for partner redemption than on their own metal, I guess its because its only low-level/saver availability.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by corporateslave
Thanks, you were right--I didn't realize the return was on DL.
Interesting that DL charges less for partner redemption than on their own metal, I guess its because its only low-level/saver availability.
It would price at 120K if you find low level delta seats over the Atlantic; they are rare, but rumor is they do exist. Thus why many of us avoid delta metal over water. Think Airfrance, Alitalia, or maybe Aeromexico? You just need to get across the water. Delta lets you mix partners.

Also, consider just booking anything that is low level awards across the pond once you find it. (you do this by searching one way segments and see if the price as a low level awards) Once an inevitable schedule change occurs causing issues, you can rebook on exactly the Delta flights you want no matter the space if not sold out.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 9:44 pm

Trying to book two J seats on November 20, 2013 from LAX - CAN on CZ, Wandering Aramean's site shows those seats available. I called Delta today, and 1st rep said they cannot find any availability on that date. I hung up and called again. Rep said same thing, I requested a manual sell, rep cannot do that. Hung up and called again. Rep said same thing, no manual sell available. Transferred to supervisor and he said same thing. Cannot manually request seats. Can only book seats that are available to Delta.

Any advice how I can get these seats? TIA.

Last edited by 22calbr; Jun 26, 2013 at 9:50 pm Reason: added flight date
Old Jun 26, 2013, 10:15 pm

What booking class are they trying to pull? They most certainly can do a long sell.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 9:08 am

What booking class are they trying to pull? They most certainly can do a long sell.
They gave me "O" for biz and "X" for economy.
You suggest I should just try calling again and hope I don't get the same "that partner does not show any availability to Delta and a manual request is not allowed" ?
Old Jun 27, 2013, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by 22calbr
They gave me "O" for biz and "X" for economy.
You suggest I should just try calling again and hope I don't get the same "that partner does not show any availability to Delta and a manual request is not allowed" ?
Are you asking for a "manual request"? You really should be asking for a "long sell". It's possible that if you're asking for a "manual request", someone's interpreting it as a different procedure.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 12:40 pm

Sounds good. I will try that right now and update when complete. Thanks.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 12:58 pm

Are you asking for a "manual request"? You really should be asking for a "long sell". It's possible that if you're asking for a "manual request", someone's interpreting it as a different procedure.
Alright just got off the phone with a very nice representative. Requested those seats for Nov 20th, system cannot see it. Asked for a "long sell". Rep said they no longer need to "long sell" with CZ, since they instituted a new program approximately 2 months ago where they can directly book CZ's inventory.

Wandering aremean still shows those seats available. What to do what to do...
Old Jun 27, 2013, 1:09 pm

Alright just got off the phone with a very nice representative. Requested those seats for Nov 20th, system cannot see it. Asked for a "long sell". Rep said they no longer need to "long sell" with CZ, since they instituted a new program approximately 2 months ago where they can directly book CZ's inventory.

Wandering aremean still shows those seats available. What to do what to do...
Have you checked the FlyingBlue engine to see if it's showing the space? Maybe EF (what I checked) and WA are pulling some bad data. I know that was frequently the case with MU.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 2:06 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Do call back and [politely] insist on a Long-Sell -- those Award Seats are still available:

[KVS Availability Tool 7.2.3/Diamond - Awards/SkyTeam/FR-AF]
Code:
LAX  Los Angeles Intl CA US [KLAX]
CAN  Guangzhou Baiyun CN [ZGGG]
WED  20 Nov 2013 | 1 Seat

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive         St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  -------------
CZ         328     LAX   22:00     CAN   05:20 +2           CS2  WS/  YS2
AF         77      LAX   21:15     CDG   17:00 +1           CA9  WX9  YX9
 -> AF     102     CDG   23:30 +1  CAN   18:15 +2
CI         7       LAX   23:25     TPE   05:50 +2           CS+  WS/  YS+
 -> CI     521     TPE   14:15 +2  CAN   16:15 +2
Old Jun 27, 2013, 3:45 pm

Alright tried twice just now. 1st rep same story. Rep #2, Jake, seemed the most competent of the bunch. Said seats were available, but not for award redemption, only for cash purchase. I requested long sell for those two biz seats. System denied it. Then requested for first or economy. He said only two tier flight and tried a long sell on the economy. System denied it again...

Thanks to mtkeller and KVS for their help.

Originally Posted by KVS
Do call back and [politely] insist on a Long-Sell -- those Award Seats are still available:

[KVS Availability Tool 7.2.3/Diamond - Awards/SkyTeam/FR-AF]
Code:
LAX  Los Angeles Intl CA US [KLAX]
CAN  Guangzhou Baiyun CN [ZGGG]
WED  20 Nov 2013 | 1 Seat

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive         St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  -------------
CZ         328     LAX   22:00     CAN   05:20 +2           CS2  WS/  YS2
AF         77      LAX   21:15     CDG   17:00 +1           CA9  WX9  YX9
 -> AF     102     CDG   23:30 +1  CAN   18:15 +2
CI         7       LAX   23:25     TPE   05:50 +2           CS+  WS/  YS+
 -> CI     521     TPE   14:15 +2  CAN   16:15 +2

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.