Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners: The Discussion Thread

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners: The Discussion Thread

Old Jan 6, 2013, 5:28 pm

Programs: Delta GM; Fly Clear; Amex Reserve
Originally Posted by mtkeller
AZ cannot be booked online. Check ExpertFlyer, then call to book it. The agent will need to do a long sell.
Call Delta or Alitalia? I've almost given up talking with Delta reps as I get a distinct feeling they don't want to find low miles trips but I'll give it a shot though. Thanks.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 6:01 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by wpxstar
Call Delta or Alitalia? I've almost given up talking with Delta reps as I get a distinct feeling they don't want to find low miles trips but I'll give it a shot though. Thanks.
You have to call Delta. The best way to do it is find the space on ExpertFlyer, then call Delta and ask them to book it, specifically asking them to do a long sell. If they don't know what that is or won't do it thank them and hang up. Then call and try again. I'd suggest weekday mornings rather than weekends or evenings.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
You have to call Delta. The best way to do it is find the space on ExpertFlyer, then call Delta and ask them to book it, specifically asking them to do a long sell. If they don't know what that is or won't do it thank them and hang up. Then call and try again. I'd suggest weekday mornings rather than weekends or evenings.
+1, for Alitalia this is the way to go. You must call DL reps to book, and DL reps should be able to find inventory for you. Remember any partner (and thus AZ) will be in low. The point of doing your homework in EF is to help coach the DL agent to find the specific segments you know are low, as often DL agents either can't find the flight itself or won't verify it being low.

And yes, request the agent do a long sell.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Instructions on how to search for MU (contribution by mtkeller, thanks! I have linked from post #2):

1. Go to http://en.ceair.com
2. Search for the route you want. Like with most award searches, it's best to do this segment-by-segment.
3. Look under "Redeem Bonus Points". If you see a "/" (see this example), there's no award inventory in any class.
4. If you see an orange check mark, like this example, there's award space:
5. Click the check mark to see what sort of space as done here in this example.
6. If both business and economy show mileage rates, there's space in both cabins. If there's mileage listed for one cabin but just a "/" for the other, there's no space in that cabin.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:16 am
Original Poster

I have updated post 1 to include info about the issues with the faux AF classic level showing up at AF.com. I'm not sure it's showing up as O availability on EF, paging EFV.

Any other input please let me know. Always looking to make this thread better.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by mnredfox
I have updated post 1 to include info about the issues with the faux AF classic level showing up at AF.com. I'm not sure it's showing up as O availability on EF, paging EFV.

It's not showing as O or X inventory, since ExpertFlyer doesn't get that data by screen scraping like KVS does.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 11:44 am
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

It's not showing as O or X inventory, since ExpertFlyer doesn't get that data by screen scraping like KVS does.
mtkeller is correct, ExpertFlyer uniquely accesses the published AF O/X inventory available to partners.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice
mtkeller is correct, ExpertFlyer uniquely accesses the published AF O/X inventory available to partners.
Thanks, I will update post 1 to correct my error.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

^ to Canarsie for splitting the "sticky" where the useful info is and creating a discussion thread. Please let me know if you have any other inputs/suggestions. Otherwise this thread is meant for all things discussion and "help me book my partner ticket" requests.

Thanks to mikepa and mtkeller and others who have suggested splitting the thread - the original idea was theirs. ^

One idea to clean things up would be to merge the Using SM on ST/Partners Sticky with the How to book Low J sticky. Useful info about how to book low would be merged into a singular sticky, then we could create a master all-questions discussion thread for help me book my SM ticket: DL metal low in J or partners.

What are everyone's thoughts to this? Denolloyd, do you have any input since your name is on that thread? I don't care about taking credit at all (honestly), just looking for ways to help the DL forum here.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 4:26 pm

Please let me know if you have any other inputs/suggestions.
One update as I quickly read it was under Section 3 where it states there are no married segments for award tickets. I didn't think these existed on DL either until I found, booked (and flew) one.

This was on a CVG-PDX RT, which is a direct with a stop in SLC. No change in gauge; outbound was same a/c both segments, return was different. Anyway, same flt # (obviously) for both outbound and both return segments. Was available and booked at Low when booking as the direct flight, while individual segments were pricing at Medium or High (confirmed beyond the calendar).

In a nutshell, the Denolloyd segment method would have yielded a higher cost for this itin vs. the standard method, which leads me to believe that married segment pricing was at play here.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davisew
One update as I quickly read it was under Section 3 where it states there are no married segments for award tickets. I didn't think these existed on DL either until I found, booked (and flew) one.

This was on a CVG-PDX RT, which is a direct with a stop in SLC. No change in gauge; outbound was same a/c both segments, return was different. Anyway, same flt # (obviously) for both outbound and both return segments. Was available and booked at Low when booking as the direct flight, while individual segments were pricing at Medium or High (confirmed beyond the calendar).

In a nutshell, the Denolloyd segment method would have yielded a higher cost for this itin vs. the standard method, which leads me to believe that married segment pricing was at play here.
Thanks for the input, I've updated it to make it more clear. Since that thread was specifically for partners I should have made it more clear. You are correct on DL metal you can have married segments, for partners or mixed I do not believe you can.

If I am still wrong please let me know and I'll update accordingly.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 5:34 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
Canarsie, thanks for organizing this discussion.

Two questions about KQ:
Where can I search availability 330 days out? Expert Flyer?
I noticed that KQ awards come with YQ? Any ideas how high the fees are?

Thanks!
Old Jan 16, 2013, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by Kay_nyc

Two questions about KQ:

Thanks!
YQ/YR very closely follows revenue tickets. Use ITA Matrix to price out the route you're looking at and check what the YQ/YR is.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kay_nyc

Two questions about KQ:

Thanks!
According to the thread KQ can be searched via KVS or airfrance.us. YQ can be very closely estimated via ITA.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 6:52 pm

According to the thread KQ can be searched via KVS or airfrance.us. YQ can be very closely estimated via ITA.
The FB engine (and therefore KVS, which just scrapes it) can only search out 300 days.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.