Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners: The Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners: The Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2012, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by mtkeller
There was another report of some intra-Asia issues with CZ recently. Don't remember the final resolution. If you're not up agains the segment limit, you might try VN via SGN/HAN.
Hmm. This seems to be the issue, not sure why/when this happened. All was fine when I booked the original back in September. I'm now 0/4 and considering a booking service to keep tabs on this, so I don't have to call weekly to see if this issue has been fixed.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MichaelKade
Trying to search Alitalia inventory but it wants me to log in to see Award inventory. Any easier way to do it than day by day via EF?
When you say login do you mean AF/KL's FB website? Create an account for free, you don't need any miles to search.

Originally Posted by nittany987
Accidentally booked an award ticket for 2 on 7/7, SIN-CAN-LAX on CZ. Need to get on a 7/6 flight. Hopped on expertflyer, show I availability with 3. Confirmed with KVS that 3 are open.

Call in to DL PM desk, and 3 times have been told that the SIN-CAN leg is unavailable. Can't get them to see the inventory, but they do show it on the 7th... so it seems like something odd is happening here.

Any thoughts on why this might be? I can't find any other routings/airlines that would make this work (other than the helpful suggestion that DL flights are available at the 'High' level )
Hmm, that's a bit rare. CZ usually works quite well with what EF/KVS shows. Can you verify with:

http://beta.awardtravelr.com/
or AF/KL's FB?

If so, then I'd call back. I've had it a few times when DL's systems just needed some more time to synchronize with CZ. Odd as it is, sometimes DL's IT just has no explanations. I'd call again.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 4:11 am

Just a reminder that if you want to book MH awards, be prepared for a long phone call. I had an agent that was quite competent but it just takes a while for MH to confirm award space.

Expertflyer seems to show the award space if you search for the I fare bucket.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 9:29 am

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by mtkeller
EF can search a week at a time. FlyingBlue works as well, but I don't know any good way to avoid it showing you AF/KL inventory that might not be bookable through DL.
How are you searching a week at a time? Asks me for departure/return dates and no option is given for a week...
Old Dec 4, 2012, 9:34 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by MichaelKade
How are you searching a week at a time? Asks me for departure/return dates and no option is given for a week...
Change exact date drop down that's to the right of the time to ±3 days.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by mnredfox
When you say login do you mean AF/KL's FB website? Create an account for free, you don't need any miles to search.

Hmm, that's a bit rare. CZ usually works quite well with what EF/KVS shows. Can you verify with:

or AF/KL's FB?

If so, then I'd call back. I've had it a few times when DL's systems just needed some more time to synchronize with CZ. Odd as it is, sometimes DL's IT just has no explanations. I'd call again.
Will give them a call later today, but both the awardtravelr.com and FB show this flight as available and bookable at the 'classic' level... Will provide update.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 2:23 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
Where can I find a list of Korean Air blackout dates?
Old Dec 4, 2012, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Kay_nyc
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ae-2013-a.html
Old Dec 4, 2012, 3:33 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
Thank you!

One more question: Can I book an award ticket on AF 330 days out, or do I have to wait until 300 days out when AF releases availability?
Old Dec 4, 2012, 3:41 pm

Thank you!

One more question: Can I book an award ticket on AF 330 days out, or do I have to wait until 300 days out when AF releases availability?
AF inventory is available to DL at 330 days. You don't have to wait until the FB engine displays it.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 4:34 pm

Will give them a call later today, but both the awardtravelr.com and FB show this flight as available and bookable at the 'classic' level... Will provide update.

or AF/KL's FB?

So, just got off the line with the PM and manual reissue desks, and they were able to make the change that I needed. I have no idea if the individual did something beyond what the folks from the last couple of days did, but he was able to confirm the availability and get me rebooked. He did have to do a long sell to get the seats, but glad it worked out.

5th time is the charm evidently.

-----

Edit: Jumped the gun. When I got to the manual reissue desk, they realized the agent had me on a flight a month earlier (so I would be returning before I left...). The lady at the manual reissue desk went through the long sell process, where she said China Southern claimed no inventory for the SIN-CAN leg. So now I'm back at square one.

What's interesting is that the AF/KLM Flying Blue shows classic availability for this flight. When I pointed this out to the rep from the reissue desk, she was very adamant that they must have access to expanded inventory as a result of paying China Southern more money. This strikes me as incredibly unlikely.

While I am loyal to Delta, they sure know how to ruin the actual redemption of that loyalty.

-----

Edit #2: Noticed that in "My Trips," my itinerary was showing a changed flight to my desired date. I was happy, but wary, so called to confirm with PM desk. They said that it was not confirmed, and immediately sent me over to manual reissue desk. Those folks got on the phone with CZ, and said that CZ was refusing to release the seats. Furthermore, the agent with whom I spoke on an earlier failed call had cancelled my old ticket (despite clearly communicating that he would not). Now CZ was not showing availability for my original flight, but the reissue agent was able to convince CZ to open my 'old' seats back up after a 30 minute hold. So at least I have a seat, but back where I started.

---

Edit #3: Called back to check availability on alternative departure spots (KUL, SGN, HAN) on my desired date. The English lady on the PM desk was able to find availability on all of these. Figuring that I might as well press my luck, I asked her to double check the Singapore flight, which she was able to find and book for me for an additional $7.80 in YQ. I inquired what she had done to succeed where 6 others had failed, and she just said that she had to use my routings and search by segment (which I thought the others were doing). That seems like something that the other agents would have done as well (ie. arguing over releasing space on the SIN-CAN leg with CZ), but oh well.

Figured I'd relay my experiences. Exhausting and exasperating, but eventually I got there. Sounds like a typical DL flight...
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tc_jedi
Just a reminder that if you want to book MH awards, be prepared for a long phone call. I had an agent that was quite competent but it just takes a while for MH to confirm award space.

Expertflyer seems to show the award space if you search for the I fare bucket.
Which I assume means long time for MH to return the long sell. Sounds about right, I think this was the case in NW days too.

Meaning it should be available.

Also listed in the Guide in Post 2, section 5.

Edit: Jumped the gun. When I got to the manual reissue desk, they realized the agent had me on a flight a month earlier (so I would be returning before I left...). The lady at the manual reissue desk went through the long sell process, where she said China Southern claimed no inventory for the SIN-CAN leg. So now I'm back at square one.
Still doesn't make sense why you have to do long sells still, I've never had issues with CZ. That being said, I believe you 100% and blame the ridiculous inconsistency of DL IT.

What's interesting is that the AF/KLM Flying Blue shows classic availability for this flight. When I pointed this out to the rep from the reissue desk, she was very adamant that they must have access to expanded inventory as a result of paying China Southern more money. This strikes me as incredibly unlikely.
Hogwash, another bunch of made up BS from a DL agent. It's DL's IT striking again.

Edit #3: Called back to check availability on alternative departure spots (KUL, SGN, HAN) on my desired date. The English lady on the PM desk was able to find availability on all of these. Figuring that I might as well press my luck, I asked her to double check the Singapore flight, which she was able to find and book for me for an additional $7.80 in YQ. I inquired what she had done to succeed where 6 others had failed, and she just said that she had to use my routings and search by segment (which I thought the others were doing). That seems like something that the other agents would have done as well (ie. arguing over releasing space on the SIN-CAN leg with CZ), but oh well.

Figured I'd relay my experiences. Exhausting and exasperating, but eventually I got there. Sounds like a typical DL flight...
Interesting. Perhaps it was some married segment issue. DL agents are trained not to search by segment since they want to avoid misconnects on invalid connections. However, if you do your homework ahead of time you can convince agents to search segment by segment for you, so long as you can demonstrate to them that it is a valid connection (if there is a published routing this way and that MCT is not violated). In general, segment by segment searching is cleaner and is a way to coax DL's systems to work. This is akin to searching segment by segment on low using DL.dumb.

Congrats, glad it worked out for you. Sadly this (the long and painful process) is the norm for booking partner flights, hence this thread.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
When will DL make this process a little easier or at least train their agents a little bit?
Old Dec 5, 2012, 12:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA Fan
When will DL make this process a little easier or at least train their agents a little bit?
The silly part is a little bit of training would go a long way to save costs. Esp in agent time.

Better tools too might help.

Then they could get rid of the dumb unfriendly policies of search limits, time limits spent helping customers. Customers would then have a better more pleasant (and faster) booking experience.

I haven't seen the negative in any of this yet.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 2:00 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
The silly part is a little bit of training would go a long way to save costs. Esp in agent time.

Better tools too (might) WILL help.
Took the liberty of editing the above comment....

Comparing my recent international partner award redemptions requiring phone assistance: Slightly dumb UA agent completed my booking MUCH faster than ANY of the very smart Delta agents handling the Diamond line.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.