What's your SDC-for-upgrade strategy?

Old Jan 6, 13, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, WN A-List w/CP, UA Silver, Starwood Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
What's your SDC-for-upgrade strategy?

Just curious on what other upgrade-hungry GM/PM/DMs do when their schedules allow flexibility for SDC changes. I use EF the day of travel to see the number of F or J seats still for sale, check out seat maps which can be helpful but not exact, and also check if there's still V or X inventory (usually there isn't close to flight time).

But how do you guys who really milk this benefit for greater upgrade chances (come on, we know you're out there ) choose flights to switch to when you can't be sure how many folks are already on the UPG list nor where you would fall on the list? Are you just taking educated guesses? Or is there a better way to do this that I'm unaware of? Curious - thanks.
Old Jan 6, 13, 7:01 pm

Programs: DL Gold; Bonvoy Gold; HHonors Gold; Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
umm, really? My SDC strategy is simply to get there sooner or at a more convenient time.
Old Jan 6, 13, 7:31 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by jalves View Post
umm, really? My SDC strategy is simply to get there sooner or at a more convenient time.
Amen!

As an Emory alum, I'm hoping you are also an alum, rather than staff. I'd hate to think I give money to an organization that has staff with so much time on their hands.
Old Jan 6, 13, 7:45 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
I know people SDC mainly for UG's since it is talked about a fair amount on the forum. I just can't point you to any specific threads that mention it.
Old Jan 6, 13, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, WN A-List w/CP, UA Silver, Starwood Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
ha, double alum, don't worry.

Clearly getting home earlier is a prime benefit we all take advantage of. But a lot of my routes are heavily serviced with flights every hour or two. What's not to like about sitting up front if one can make it happen?
Old Jan 6, 13, 9:14 pm

I'm with the OP ... I have used this benefit a couple of times on outbound flights out of SLC. Recently while flying between SLC and BDL, I was confirmed on a flight via MSP that didn't clear. There were several other connecting cities (ATL, DTW and maybe even JFK). I checked into the MSP flight and clearly saw I would get upgraded. I could see more open F seats on the DTW flight ... so I called and changed to this flight, checkin and saw I had a good chance to clearing at the gate (which I did). I left about the same time and got to BDL about the same time (the flights into BDL were an easy upgrade via either connection city).

Happydad

Search this Thread
Search Engine: