Wiki Posts
Search

Delta hates musicians

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2013, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL
Delta hates musicians

First it was the Cellist. Now it's a guitar.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow...214634001.html

It was a musician's worst nightmare.

Last edited by RSSrsvp; Jan 7, 2013 at 5:47 pm Reason: Removed copyrighted material
Old Jan 4, 2013, 8:05 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Interesting story, and I hope DL compensates him. But how do you come up with the conclusion that DL, as a company policy, hates musicians? I'm assuming it's sarcasm/joking in the title.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 8:16 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Originally Posted by roknroll
Interesting story, and I hope DL compensates him. But how do you come up with the conclusion that DL, as a company policy, hates musicians? I'm assuming it's sarcasm/joking in the title.
He's referencing the viral video "United Hates Guitars," mentioned in the article as well. Hilarious by the way.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 9:39 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond
Wow kind of amazing that the guitar was not a total loss considering what happened to the case. I hate to say this, but unless you buy excess valuation insurance, the guitar is not covered by DL's baggage policy. Whether or not DL makes an exception is another matter, however.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 9:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I gotta say, I never dreamed I would ever see the phrase "Hanukkah-themed rock band...."
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:09 pm

Programs: AS, DL, AA, UA, WN
Originally Posted by orca15
He's referencing the viral video "United Hates Guitars," mentioned in the article as well. Hilarious by the way.
Well, the viral video is "United Breaks Guitars," so I think that's a bit of a stretch. If that's what OP was going for, I think "Delta Breaks Guitars" would be the obvious subject.

I believe the OP is instead making a generalization (sort of) based on this and a previous case where Delta wouldn't accommodate a carry-on cello properly. Note the first line of the post:
First it was the Cellist. Now it's a guitar.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:15 pm

Programs: Airline free agent; Starwood Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by RacingJunkie
Schneider says he even showed them a link to a story about Congress passing the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 that made it easier for musicians to fly with their instruments—allowing them to purchase an extra seat on the plane for their fragile instruments.
And yet nothing in the story indicates that he tried to purchase an extra seat for his beloved guitar, which he indirectly acknowledges:

Schneider says he asked Delta staffers not to check in the vintage guitar... and allow him to carry it on the plane and place it in an available space, as he did on the flight from Portland.
Sorry, dude, you can't have it both ways. Either buy the extra seat for it or follow the carry on rules. I hope he gets zero compensation, but I'm sure that won't be the case.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:39 pm

Programs: Several
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
I gotta say, I never dreamed I would ever see the phrase "Hanukkah-themed rock band...."
Adam Sandler's stuff is pretty good, but I don't think I'd ever take a band like that seriously
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by AdamATL
And yet nothing in the story indicates that he tried to purchase an extra seat for his beloved guitar, which he indirectly acknowledges:

Sorry, dude, you can't have it both ways. Either buy the extra seat for it or follow the carry on rules. I hope he gets zero compensation, but I'm sure that won't be the case.
Sure sounds like he tried:

Schneider says he even showed them a link to a story about Congress passing the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 that made it easier for musicians to fly with their instruments—allowing them to purchase an extra seat on the plane for their fragile instruments.

But he was denied.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:58 pm

Im a musician and have a violin worth around 50,000 dollars. I have a case that's compact specifically for traveling. One time a GA was going to not let me board the plane with my instrument. I almost went home as checking it is obviously not an option. At the last moment she changed her mind and let me bring it on board, but I was pretty close to missing my trip. It's a very frustrating situation especially since rules can vary, depending upon which person you get.

It sounds like, from the article, this person tried to purchase an extra seat and was denied. If he was denied and forced to check the guitar, I definitely think he's owed compensation and I hope he gets it.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 4:11 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Seems like they'd only enjoy seasonal popularity.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 10:34 am

So he showed them an article about allowing musicians to pay for a ticket for their instruments... did he try to buy one? Was there not a ticket available? Did he show them this article and say that he should be able to carry on his instrument? Either buy a ticket for your $10K instrument or check it. A guitar is too large to use as a carry on bag.
Also if your instrument is worth so much and you're travelling then be responsible and get a travel case not some cardboard case.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 11:38 am

Programs: DL DM
I never really have sympathy for these articles... especially because of how well publicized some of the nightmares have been. They know it's a possibility/good possibility and choose not to take any preventative measures.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 1:32 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by AdamATL
Really? You hope he gets nothing?

You get the award for Delta apologist of the century.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 2:45 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by HongKonger
Seems like they'd only enjoy seasonal popularity.
Don't book them for a Friday night gig.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.