Mixed cabin itinerary and baggage fees

Old Jan 3, 13, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum, VA Gold
Mixed cabin itinerary and baggage fees

Hi! Pretty much a newbie when it comes to flying on DL, so go easy on me.. I've made a reservation to travel with multiple cabins on the one PNR; what I'm trying to work out is what I'll be up for in baggage fees. I tried e-mailing DL using their web form, but got a "form letter" response - I'm not even sure whether they actually read my question fully before responding - so I figured I'd ask the experts!

Here's what I've got booked (fare class in brackets):

SFO-ATL (D)
ATL-AVL (T)
AVL-ATL (K)
ATL-SFO (A)

I figure I'm safe for the first and last flights - the DL website seems to indicate that I'll be able to check three bags for free - but it's the ones in the middle I'm not so sure about. Does the entire itinerary qualify for free baggage due to the booking class of the first flight? The e-ticket left me more confused than not, as it said I could check 3 PC for the first flight and 0 PC for the rest (even though the last flight should definitely allow 3 PC as well).

I'm Platinum with VA, but I'm pretty sure that baggage is a benefit I'm not entitled to (slightly annoying, but at least I get Sky Priority these days).

Thanks heaps in advance!
Old Jan 3, 13, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Are you connecting in ATL, or are these 4 distinct trips?
Old Jan 3, 13, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by notzac View Post
Hi! Pretty much a newbie when it comes to flying on DL, so go easy on me.. I've made a reservation to travel with multiple cabins on the one PNR; what I'm trying to work out is what I'll be up for in baggage fees. I tried e-mailing DL using their web form, but got a "form letter" response - I'm not even sure whether they actually read my question fully before responding - so I figured I'd ask the experts!

Here's what I've got booked (fare class in brackets):

SFO-ATL (D)
ATL-AVL (T)
AVL-ATL (K)
ATL-SFO (A)

I figure I'm safe for the first and last flights - the DL website seems to indicate that I'll be able to check three bags for free - but it's the ones in the middle I'm not so sure about. Does the entire itinerary qualify for free baggage due to the booking class of the first flight? The e-ticket left me more confused than not, as it said I could check 3 PC for the first flight and 0 PC for the rest (even though the last flight should definitely allow 3 PC as well).

I'm Platinum with VA, but I'm pretty sure that baggage is a benefit I'm not entitled to (slightly annoying, but at least I get Sky Priority these days).

Thanks heaps in advance!
Outbound should be ok. Return shouldn't be a problem if there's no FC on the RJ. When I do OAJ or ilm I've never had a problem with 3 when the atl connect was FC.
Old Jan 3, 13, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by javabytes View Post
Are you connecting in ATL, or are these 4 distinct trips?
Good question - I should have mentioned. It's three separate "trips": SFO-ATL, ATL-AVL and AVL-ATL-SFO. Does that change things?
Old Jan 3, 13, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Good question - I should have mentioned. It's three separate "trips": SFO-ATL, ATL-AVL and AVL-ATL-SFO. Does that change things?
My thought is you will likely have to pay ATL-AVL, and you will get free bags SFO-ATL and AVL-ATL-SFO.
Old Jan 3, 13, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

My thought is you will likely have to pay ATL-AVL, and you will get free bags SFO-ATL and AVL-ATL-SFO.
Better than I thought then would it make sense to find someone at ATL to ask when I arrive there from SFO to double-check? If I have to pay I would rather pay online for the cheaper price..
Old Jan 3, 13, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Better than I thought then would it make sense to find someone at ATL to ask when I arrive there from SFO to double-check? If I have to pay I would rather pay online for the cheaper price..
Sounds like the kind of thing I would tweet @DeltaAssist.
Old Jan 3, 13, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Sounds like the kind of thing I would tweet @DeltaAssist.
Haha, I'm still trying to work out Twitter - maybe someday I'll get myself an account I really appreciate your assistance!
Old Jan 3, 13, 8:32 pm

Programs: DL PM as of 12/8/2016
I haven't paid for a bag on DL in some years but I'm 99% certain that DL no longer offers a discount for paying baggage fees online... Sorry

AMEX will get you 1 free bag on that ATL-AVL flight. The others you should get 3 free bags for being in FC on at least one leg of the trip.

Rene over @ Delta Points has a great FAQ on using twitter to contact DL. It really is simple. I created a Twitter account solely to talk to DL...

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/deltap...-how-to-guide/

Search this Thread
Search Engine: