Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

When does SWU Waitlist clear on JFK<->LAX? What are my odds? What should I have don

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When does SWU Waitlist clear on JFK<->LAX? What are my odds? What should I have don

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2013, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles 1M & DM ; Hyatt Discoverist

I'd appreciate advice given the situation I'm in. What I'm trying to do is get my BE upgrade confirmed ASAP with an SWU on a K fare for JFK<->LAX in late February 2012. Here's details (some spurious :

I'm traveling for work on JFK <-> LAX. My wife is coming along, and we're adding some days for vacation. My wife hasn't flown in 10 years, and has developed a bit of a flying phobia. For her first flight, I wanted to make sure she's in BE, so I booked straight-up using FF miles and she's confirmed in seat 1D. No problems there.

Since my flight is for my job (and I didn't have enough FF miles to book myself an BE award ticket anyway), I decided to book a K fare for the roundtrip (reimbursing my company out of pocket for the ~ $200 difference between the cheaper fares) and use an SWU.

I've not been PM for too long, but I'd heard (from a DL phone agent, actually) that using an SWU on a domestic K fare is an automatic upgrade.

Instead, they've got me upgraded wait-listed. I see in My Trips this box first:

JFK -> LAX: DL NUMBER
BUSINESS (Z) | NOT ASSIGNED
followed by this box second:

MEDALLION UPGRADE REQUESTED
ECONOMY (K): 18D
I've read in other threads that SWU's need to be coded properly to get first on the list. Is mine coded right? Do I need to research further to tell?

Meanwhile, for now, my wife is sitting alone in BE, and annoyed at me that I'm going to be back in coach.

As it stands, there are still 16 BE seats for sale on JFK->LAX and 15 for LAX->JFK (flights in late February 2012). When do those seats get released? Not until day of the flight?

Apart from buying a BE seat outright, is there anything I can do now to confirm a BE? As a lesson-learned, can you tell me what I should have done?
Old Jan 3, 2013, 6:53 pm

Programs: DAL-PM
I dont think you ever clear ahead of time on LAX/SFO-JFK. You should get it at the gate though unless it sells out.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Upgrades clear at the time of request only if there is upgrade inventory available. Otherwise, you go on the waitlist. On the premium domestic routes like JFK-LAX and JFK-SFO, upgrade inventory is, for all practical purposes, never released before the gate. The agent should be able to tell you at the time of booking whether or not there is upgrade inventory available for you to clear immediately. A subscription to ExpertFlyer will also give you this information.

So plan to not get the upgrade until 30-45 minutes before departure.

On the day you check in: A properly coded SWU will put you up near the top of the upgrade list. You are above all other passengers waiting for complimentary upgrades, and can only be topped by other medallions who used a SWU or other passengers who paid for BusinessElite but were rebooked in coach (usually due to IROPS). If you check in and see yourself far down on the list, it's worth a call to ensure your SWU was coded properly. The agent should be able to confirm your upgrade priority as "UP2B", which is the priority code for a Platinum Medallion waitlisted for a SWU upgrade. If they say your upgrade priority code is UP3, that's your complimentary upgrade priority and it indicates your SWU was not properly applied. Ask them to fix it.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 7:44 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
It might be best to ask to take yourself off the complimentary medallion upgrade list, and wait list for Z with your SWU. LAX JFK almost never clears outside of 40 minutes to departure, and your SWU will have a higher priority than the medallion upgrade, but the system might not read it correctly if you're on the medallion upgrade list.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 9:09 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Hertz PC, National EE, Bonvoy TE, GE, CLEAR
Originally Posted by amolkold
It might be best to ask to take yourself off the complimentary medallion upgrade list, and wait list for Z with your SWU. LAX JFK almost never clears outside of 40 minutes to departure, and your SWU will have a higher priority than the medallion upgrade, but the system might not read it correctly if you're on the medallion upgrade list.
+1

Remove yourself from the complimentary upgrade list. No reason to be on there as SWU has higher priority.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 9:51 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
It will not clear in advance on this route.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sushi lover
I dont think you ever clear ahead of time on LAX/SFO-JFK. You should get it at the gate though unless it sells out.
+1, never will clear. I've never seen Z open up, but oddly once I was UG'd instantly on Q fare, it was odd. Just make sure it is coded correctly on the WL and ensure so at the airport.

Originally Posted by Skystreak
+1

Remove yourself from the complimentary upgrade list. No reason to be on there as SWU has higher priority.
Not necessary, I'd make sure it was coded correctly, more important.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Just to reiterate because I think this is an important thread...

Advance upgrades won't clear on JFK-LAX except for extremely rare circumstances like an equip swap to a 767. You have to wait for the gate upgrade list.

This all hinges on your SWU being properly coded, which as mentioned would mean you have an UP2B priority on the airport list. If you have UP3 then you are being sorted by your normal plat status and not getting higher because of the SWU. You should be able to tell if you are #1 or close to that on the list. Be sure to call/ask agents what your upgrade priority is and if it isn't UP2B then get it fixed. The GA will likely not know how to fix it or that an SWU should give you higher priority.

You don't have to remove yourself from the comp upgrade... that has no impact provided that the SWU is coded properly.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:20 am

Programs: DAL-PM
When you use a SWU and it is properly coded, your name will be moved from your normal PM priority to the new higher priority. You will not show up twice on the list.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:45 am

Does OP have ExpertFlyer?
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by javabytes
Upgrades clear at the time of request only if there is upgrade inventory available. Otherwise, you go on the waitlist. On the premium domestic routes like JFK-LAX and JFK-SFO, upgrade inventory is, for all practical purposes, never released before the gate. The agent should be able to tell you at the time of booking whether or not there is upgrade inventory available for you to clear immediately. A subscription to ExpertFlyer will also give you this information.

So plan to not get the upgrade until 30-45 minutes before departure.

On the day you check in: A properly coded SWU will put you up near the top of the upgrade list. You are above all other passengers waiting for complimentary upgrades, and can only be topped by other medallions who used a SWU or other passengers who paid for BusinessElite but were rebooked in coach (usually due to IROPS). If you check in and see yourself far down on the list, it's worth a call to ensure your SWU was coded properly. The agent should be able to confirm your upgrade priority as "UP2B", which is the priority code for a Platinum Medallion waitlisted for a SWU upgrade. If they say your upgrade priority code is UP3, that's your complimentary upgrade priority and it indicates your SWU was not properly applied. Ask them to fix it.
This is correct but IMO the OP should not wait until the day of flight to ensure it is properly coded. There have been problems with the various locations where one can view the UG list and it might not be clear to him where he actually is on the list especially as a newbie. Plus, there's always some (very very small) chance that Z will open ahead of time and if it does he'll want his SWU to clear automatically when it does.

OP, call to make sure your SWU is properly coded. Also unfortunately the DL phone agent gave you incorrect information on the automatic/guaranteed upgrade. This happens more than it should.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles 1M & DM ; Hyatt Discoverist
How would ExpertFlyer help ensure upgrade?

Originally Posted by DelrayChris
Does OP have ExpertFlyer?
No, I don't. I was looking at it last night, and it seemed to me all that it could give me was piece of mind to see when Z opened up. It can't actually make me any higher on the upgrade list? How would I use ExpertFlyer to make more sure my upgrade is processed?
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:37 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Charter Member/1.8MM, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by shipitfish
I'd appreciate advice given the situation I'm in. What I'm trying to do is get my BE upgrade confirmed ASAP with an SWU on a K fare for JFK<->LAX in late February 2012. Here's details (some spurious :

I'm traveling for work on JFK <-> LAX. My wife is coming along, and we're adding some days for vacation. My wife hasn't flown in 10 years, and has developed a bit of a flying phobia. For her first flight, I wanted to make sure she's in BE, so I booked straight-up using FF miles and she's confirmed in seat 1D. No problems there.

Since my flight is for my job (and I didn't have enough FF miles to book myself an BE award ticket anyway), I decided to book a K fare for the roundtrip (reimbursing my company out of pocket for the ~ $200 difference between the cheaper fares) and use an SWU.

I've not been PM for too long, but I'd heard (from a DL phone agent, actually) that using an SWU on a domestic K fare is an automatic upgrade.

Instead, they've got me upgraded wait-listed. I see in My Trips this box first:

BUSINESS (Z) | NOT ASSIGNED
followed by this box second:

MEDALLION UPGRADE REQUESTED
ECONOMY (K): 18D
I've read in other threads that SWU's need to be coded properly to get first on the list. Is mine coded right? Do I need to research further to tell?

Meanwhile, for now, my wife is sitting alone in BE, and annoyed at me that I'm going to be back in coach.

As it stands, there are still 16 BE seats for sale on JFK->LAX and 15 for LAX->JFK (flights in late February 2012). When do those seats get released? Not until day of the flight?

Apart from buying a BE seat outright, is there anything I can do now to confirm a BE? As a lesson-learned, can you tell me what I should have done?
Great, now you're going to be one of those people that wants me to change seats with you so that you can sit next to your wife. Pay for the upgrade pal, think of the extra MQMs you'll receive.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
He is paying for the upgrade, he purchased a K fare and is using an SWU.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by shipitfish
No, I don't. I was looking at it last night, and it seemed to me all that it could give me was piece of mind to see when Z opened up. It can't actually make me any higher on the upgrade list? How would I use ExpertFlyer to make more sure my upgrade is processed?
Most folks would advise against the waitlist in the first place when you're spending your money. So EF would help you search for Z inventory at time of booking. It would not help in your current situation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.