Community
Wiki Posts
Search

VDB @ DTW; Does this make any sense?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2012, 6:27 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by OHDL1
In this case...probably should have just IDB if running into a time crunch. The max...$1300 is just over 2x600 and way over 3x600. Guessing she had plenty of seats on the last flight to try for 2 or 3 vols if only one seat needed. And...$600 is the max the GA can offer.

(Actually for domestic $400 is GA max...$600 Redcoat "max", international is GA $600...Redcoat $750 "max".....I know, I know YMMV)
As I posted earlier in the thread, GA offered $800 + hotel + meal for DTW-YYZ last flight out on Oct 8. First offer (that I heard anyhow), and it was over the PA.

Probably counts as international, though, even though it's a 214 mile flight.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US former CP Looking for a new airline to love me
Originally Posted by exwannabe
NY, I am a little slow so could please clarify a few points.

Please answer slowly so us ATL boys can understand.

Well, hello, Mr. Anderson, thanks for joining the discussion.

Originally Posted by exwannabe

First, you seamed to think you could get more for VDB'ing from a booked F seat. I do not understand why. DL will potentially incure an extra cost in rebooking you, and there is nothing to be saved in releasing your F seat (as they certainly can not sell it). I would assume purchased F seats would be a negative factor for VDBs, but you expect otherwise. What is your logic?

Second, as has been explained several times, DL generally pays all at whatever the last VDB got (like a Dutch auction). So if we have 7 early VDBs at 600, the you at 800. that would cost DL 6400(8x800) total. But if they took 3 more at 600 it would only be 6000 (10x600). Seams like it is cheaper to pay the extra pax at 600.

Third, should a GA have a cap on this? If not, I suspect Shena would now be able to fly paid F on SQ.
The F (actually V) seat is only relevant as far as: 1) It may have allowed the GA to make a better fit with the list of potential IDB's or even VDB's 2) It may allow the GA to justify a different payment to one vice others, should the others find out... The F seat had no impact on rebooking me, I was merely a fortunate upgrade, and would have been dropped to coach in all probability if I took the VDB.
The "generally pay all whatever the last VDB got" can make the cost of paying the last VDB more add up to a higher total than VDB'ing several to make room for one. But it does not in all circumstances, ie, if the last in this case took $650, it's still cheaper to give all 8 $650 ($400 more) than VDB a second unnecessarily ($600). Regardless, do you think that pay all the same is an iron clad requirement? My experience over the years would say not.

As far as a cap, I think economic elasticity theories would tell us that such an item is not required. A cap is provided, perhaps superfluously, by IDB rules.

Originally Posted by fti
Obviously you have read few of my posts on the DL forum. Anyone who has would definitely not call me a DL apologist . Maybe call me a realist!

Most of us on the forum would say you got what you deserved. You wanted higher comp for the inconvenience of a VDB. DL knew they could do it for less than you wanted, they might have held up the plane a few more minutes to do it. Job completed.
Interested to know how you think you can speak for most on this forum. I'm happy to have created a lively thread, but the majority who participate in this forum will not weigh in here, so don't you think it's presumptuous to claim to speak for the majority?
Regardless, I would say I got more than what I deserved. An upgrade, a generous disrupted travel voucher from a kiosk, and I arrived safely at a closer destination than I would have with my original (cancelled) flight.
Perhaps you are patterning your response to the frequently seen on any airline board; the "{insert airline name here} screwed me thread". That was not my message. My message was much more that DL GA implementation of policy, or perhaps the DL policy itself, makes no economic sense, or at least appeared not to, in this specific circumstance.
And what on earth is a "swarmy" negotiating technique?

Originally Posted by bubbashow
I know that you think you are really something, but despite that, the agent is under no obligation to tell you by how many pax the flight is overbooked. Ive seen the back system at work and you would be AMAZED how fast dramatically ovrr booked can turn to booked even. Swarmy negotiating tactics arent necessary. Tell the agent what you want if the cant take it, thry move on to the nedt passenger. Done
Well glad you know what I know. You don't think it a little bizarre that the GA would act like the oversold info was a state secret, then, not 10 minutes later, broadcast it to all in a 4 gate radius? Reminds me of the time I asked a DTW GA where I was on the standby list. Her answer: "I don't provide that information..." Guess she was correct in one sense. Just as she made that statement, the GIDS behind her sprang to life and showed exactly where everyone was on the standby list.

Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler
$600 is quite a large offer to VDB domestically. If someone is asking for more than that I wouldn't be surprised if the GA wouldn't want to deal with that. Personally I'd rather IDB a non-elite that was last to check-in for the flight over VDBing someone who flies a ton on Delta and has status and is asking for more than $600 to Volunteer. That really doesn't seem like volunteering to me. If the system worked that way people would hold out for $5000 in these situations. If I was a GA and someone was being unreasonable (which I believe over $600 for DTW-Florida is with some of the lowest fares to Florida in the US) I wouldn't want to negotiate with them, I'd move on. Again, I think many GAs would rather IDB what this board refers to as a kettle than VDB someone looking for $1000.

Many people in DTW-Florida get super low fares (less than $150ow). Wasn't compensation only like 2-3 times over the ticket price in cash (up to like $1300ow) if they cannot get the pax to their destination within X hours? If that is the case IDB would pay out less than VDB.
I think the negatives of IDB were adequately explained by others... (DOT report consequences, cash vice Delta $$$... ) The price originally paid for tickets in VDB situations has no bearing on the matter. The plane that holds 312 PAX is booked at 320. GA challenge is to persuade 8 people to make alternate plans, by, in effect bribing them. GA could make it a win-win by sharing info with potential volunteers, working to minimize VDB impact on travel, and making rational economic decisions. Apparently that is not how it's done at DTW.

Originally Posted by sbjnyc
Who is going to volunteer first if everyone knows the next guy gets more comp? Their policy is a common sense approach to get as many volunteers as possible.
I think it's normally understood (perhaps not at DTW) that the last volunteer will take more $$$ to pry out of their seat than the first. If you think it's common sense that offering a firm, unshakable amount to all volunteers gets the most possible volunteers, I'm completely lost on what I could tell you.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
I don't know if they do this (I haven't been IDB'd lately), but it's perfectly legal to tell the passenger "You're entitled to a check for $400, or we could give you a voucher for $500 for future travel instead."

Despite the lowering of value, I'd still take the voucher (since I know I'll personally pay a lot more than $500 for tickets in the next year, with not many vouchers).
Old Dec 29, 2012, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Why do airlines still oversell planes, if a person does not show the airline still gets paid since all tickets have to be prepaid. Years back you could book a seat and not pay till you arrived at the airport.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 2:38 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Why do airlines still oversell planes, if a person does not show the airline still gets paid since all tickets have to be prepaid. Years back you could book a seat and not pay till you arrived at the airport.
A) Pax can SDC out of seats
B) Some tickets are refundable
C) Many tickets are significantly more expensive than the $150/$250 change fee
D) Pax may miss flights due to IROPS

Overselling is part of maxing load factor, one of the most important metrics in the business.

I suspect the whole issue with kiosks asking if you want to VDB is really an effort to collect better stats (which is why is is not really used at the gate(.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Why do airlines still oversell planes, if a person does not show the airline still gets paid since all tickets have to be prepaid.
Even if that were true (ignoring SDC, refundable tickets, etc.) which is better: sell 100% of the seats for $X, or oversell 110% of the seats for $1.1*X? Providing the cost of overselling (VDB+IDB) is under the extra revenue (which the airline tries very hard to arrange), overselling maximizes revenue.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 1:31 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Delta SC
Regarding IDB, who do they typically choose to IdB? One would think they would avoid anyone with status
Old Dec 30, 2012, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by mjgwi
Regarding IDB, who do they typically choose to IdB? One would think they would avoid anyone with status
Those without seat assignments who have not checked in or those who arrive late to the gate.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 2:43 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by rwoman
Those without seat assignments who have not checked in or those who arrive late to the gate.
I think you have to check in if you are IDB'd. Not checked in means you just miss the flight without any compensation. I think it is the last one(s) to check in or who arrive late to the gate are the first to be IDB'd.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fti
I think you have to check in if you are IDB'd. Not checked in means you just miss the flight without any compensation. I think it is the last one(s) to check in or who arrive late to the gate are the first to be IDB'd.
If one is referring to IDB compensation, there's no DOT-mandated IDB compensation for either late check-in's or late gate arrivals. Even though you may happen to feel you were denied boarding "involuntarily", it does not mean DOT IDB compensation rules apply.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 7:28 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by mjgwi
As said above, those who are late to the gate/check-in or just off the flight, no IDB.

First up for IDBs are those with confirmed tickets but no seat assignments. Within that group, it is by status (no status IDB'd first).

After these it is Y by status then F/BE by status. I doubt it ever gets this far as DL always hold seats back.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 4:51 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by HongKonger
It is supposed to be cash and an IDBed pax has the right to cash (well, a check, but anyway), but all airlines offer vouchers or other comp instead and most people don't know any better. If the pax accepts what the airline offers, the airline has broken no law and the pax misses out on the cash. All airlines do this. If you are ever IDBed, just tell them you know the law and require check in hand immediately.
Delta dollars may be like money but money is money
Old Dec 31, 2012, 7:21 am

Programs: DL DM
IME AF VDB is a cash or credit offer.....eg: 250 Euros or 400 Euro credit.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 8:34 am

I just hope that someone in the first 4 VDB's in this tale, accepted their $50 bid. That always cracks me up.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Many years ago, I got a peek at AA's (confidential) order for Denied Boarding in case of non-comp IDB (e.g. Gov't requisitions seats, or smaller plane substituted). First to board were the airline's Board of Directors. It went down from there; members (not even status members) of AA's Frequent Flier Program were above those who paid Full Fare Coach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.