Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Am I the ONLY one that actually USES the Companion Certs? Just upgraded to Plat AMEX

Am I the ONLY one that actually USES the Companion Certs? Just upgraded to Plat AMEX

Old Dec 28, 12, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond / Delta Silver

I keep seeing a ton of threads about people who would wallpaper their bathrooms with companion certs from Amex before they would actually USE them? What's the deal with that? I was actually VERY upset to see that the gold AMEX from Delta would be dropping this feature. I figured for the $95 annual fee I would roll the dice and have the $99 cert to use each year. And, because I don't fly a ton, it's nice to have the checked bag for free.

I never could understand why people couldn't use them. yes, there are restrictions but I've used mine for about 5 years in a row with no problems. These flights were cross country and would have cost $400+ but instead I got two flights for about $500. Seems like a no brainer to me! I guess I can answer my own question and say that you DO have to plan very early to make sure the L,U,T fair is still available but I guess that's my nature.

That's why I called AMEX yesterday to "re-confirm" that I wouldn't be getting any certificate in 2013 and promptly upgraded to the platnium card. I'm guessing I may even come out better anyway since it's $150 a year and a free certificate. Let's just hope they continue to offer that reward!

PLEASE?
Old Dec 28, 12, 9:25 am

Programs: Household of Delta GM & PM, SWA RR CP, SPG Platinum, Hertz #1 Gold, Budget RZ
We use both of our certificates each year in our house. I have heard this from others, but have always gotten the flights I wanted. Definetly saves us some money when going SLC-FLL each year.
Old Dec 28, 12, 9:30 am

Location: Downtown Minneapolis, formerly the shores of Lake Minnetonka
Programs: DL PM (and KM)
I've used mine every year, I have the Platinum Delta Amex. I don't understand why anyone would own the Gold Amex that costs $95 a year and gets you a $99 companion ticket as opposed to the Platinum that only costs $50 more but gets you a free companion ticket. If you're using the companion ticket it's a no brainer.

I've never had issues using mine, I usually plan a little bit in advance and can find flights MSP-LAS for a weekend trip no problem.
Old Dec 28, 12, 9:30 am

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Sky Club
We use them (just did MSP-EWR for Christmas). Hard to get used to not seeing your name on the upgrade list, but as a GM, I'm used to sitting in Y.
Old Dec 28, 12, 9:37 am

Programs: Delta, United
We have used them for the past 6-7 years, before that it was problematic. We typically use for SLC->PNS as those fares are always $$.
Old Dec 28, 12, 9:55 am

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'till morning
Programs: SkyMiles
My husband and I use our certificates, too. So far have had no problem using them on the dates and routes we want.
Old Dec 28, 12, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond / Delta Silver
There we go! Some like minded people!!!

Where are all those folks who say they can't use them? Weird.

I was seeing that the reason that AMEX/Delta was stopping it on the gold card was because nobody was using them. Clearly that isn't the case there.

I just used one for a MEM-RNO round trip and that ticket would have been $500! Certainly helps when the need to ski arises!

But yes, you're right. Now that I look at it I'm not sure why I didn't have the plat card earlier!
Old Dec 28, 12, 10:10 am

Programs: Delta gm Spg gold hilton gold hyatt platinum hertz presidents avis presidential
Just used ours for my wife and I jfk-san, totally cost a drop less than $500
My mom uses hers every year also

Last edited by mendel k; Dec 28, 12 at 10:17 am
Old Dec 28, 12, 10:17 am

Programs: DL PM
I may be incorrect in my understanding, but I thought that when a companion cert is used neither ticket accrues MQM/RDM. Definitely a negative for some people if that is true.
Old Dec 28, 12, 10:20 am
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by BHArt View Post
I may be incorrect in my understanding, but I thought that when a companion cert is used neither ticket accrues MQM/RDM. Definitely a negative for some people if that is true.
Incorrect. The person on the paid ticket still accrues MQM's/RDM's. However, both pax are ineligible for upgrades.
Old Dec 28, 12, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by LBJ View Post
Incorrect. The person on the paid ticket still accrues MQM's/RDM's. However, both pax are ineligible for upgrades.
This is correct. Also, the second ticket isn't completely free, you still have to pay the taxes and fees, unlike domestic award tickets where you only pay the 9/11 fees up to $10.00 per RT.
Old Dec 28, 12, 10:36 am

Programs: DL Gold, IHG Plat
I use mine too. We normally fly to visit my ILs for Thanksgiving, and the Amex cert helps keep the costs manageable.
Old Dec 28, 12, 10:49 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
I used mine this past year. Had the Platinum AmEx. Used it to go to LAX with my fiance to go to Disneyland. Saved me around $450. I know some people complain about how restrictive they are but I think if you plan ahead and get your ticket early enough, using it should be a none-issue.

I've upgraded to the Delta Reserve this year. My companion certificate for the coming year just arrived in my inbox, and it's less restrictive. Not sure where I'll be using it for this coming year. I think the New York Giants will be playing the San Diego Chargers in San Diego this coming football season so perhaps I'll use it for a weekend trip to SAN to catch that game.
Old Dec 28, 12, 10:53 am

i use mine. gonna use the reserve certificate for f/c seat to vegas
Old Dec 28, 12, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, BA Silver
+1 for using the companion cert.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: