Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Am I the ONLY one that actually USES the Companion Certs? Just upgraded to Plat AMEX

Am I the ONLY one that actually USES the Companion Certs? Just upgraded to Plat AMEX

Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:48 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Use mine every year. I have the reserve delta card so it's a free companion in first or coach. Used it a few months ago for two tickets msp-lax-oak. Worked like a charm. Even my upgrades cleared the whole way
Old Dec 29, 2012, 5:07 am

I used mine for Christmas flights between SFO & DTW. Saved me $700+. I'm really thankful I was able to use the cert and get an actual really great value for it (and I didn't care about the upgrades, since there's always little chance of DM upgrades when there's FCM like crazy during the holiday season).

Hopefully they'll keep the program going into next year and continue to not black out holiday travel.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 7:43 am

Programs: UAL Platinum, Amex Plat, Kimpton Inner Circle
I've had the Reserve card for 4 yrs and have used my certs each year. If you fly a lot, this card can't be beat!
Old Dec 29, 2012, 8:14 am

I'm torn on using the reserve cert on a first class vs coach ticket. On one hand you obviously "save" a lot if you buy an F ticket. On the other hand you probably spend more than if you were buying 2 coach tickets it seems.
Also I assume this excuse for getting rid of the gold card was baloney. I like that they started promoting the heck out of this card and are now making it much less valuable. No companion cert, no spend threshold.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 8:25 am

Programs: DL DM
My wife just wasted hers. Booked a trip then her friend changed her mind.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
The last time I used mine was for a JFK-SFO trip and definitely validates the benefit of having the DL AMEX Platinum card! The one enhancement I would like to see on the companion ticket would be expanding the travel from the 48 states to destinations like SJU. @:-)
Old Dec 29, 2012, 4:05 pm

Programs: DL DM
I use mine every year. No problems using it so far for various routes.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO
I use mine every year. The GF travels with me a handful of times per year, and we'd never buy higher than LUT anyways, so it makes total sense for us. I get the MQMs and she gets a free flight except for taxes. For international trips I usually use miles for us. Basically I try to make all her tickets either on companion certs or miles since she doesn't accrue MQMs, and I try to take all the MQM flights possible.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
I used mine once; the issue is having someone to travel with who can have the same schedule I do.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 9:03 pm

Programs: WN,DL,AA,UA,B6,more!
I use mine every year too. Just upgraded to reserve card and got my 2013 cert. Going to try for F redemption. Looking at transcon to LAS, SFO, LAX, or SAN. Also thinking of doing JFK-LAX/SFO in BE using the cert.

Still unknown at this point.

Used mine last year for my 30th down to MIA. Rented convertible using Hertz points and drove down to EYW for the weekend. Definitely would do again! ^

Foo
Old Dec 29, 2012, 9:49 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamo... Globalist
I always use my certificate, I also just added the reserve card to my wallet, so I'm looking forward to having to certs to use each year.

The only bad thing i've experienced is not getting on the upgrade list, which makes me mad until i think about how much money the cert is saving me.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:27 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
A friend just told me that he can't use his cert which expires Jan 31. He didn't realize that travel needed to be completed by that date.

If anyone has use for a 2-for-1 cert with travel completed by Jan 31, PM me and I can put you in touch with him. Don't forget the LUT restrictions.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 1:26 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Someone told me they no longer offer a free companion on the PLAT DL card? I looked online - looks like they may be right...don't see it.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 2:11 pm

Programs: DL silver,Hilton Gold,Marriott,VA,Amex Plat,Hertz Gold
Unable to use cents for last three years....tried going to Florida, New York, Lax and sfo. With no luck....I gave up . No qualifying flats to be found out of Dtw.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 2:13 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
I love these companion certificates too. My parents each have a Delta Amex and they let me use theirs. I always redeem them for JFK-LAX or JFK-SFO trips that are booked far in advance, which for $300-$400 total is a steal.

I actually think the US Airways companion certificate is more valuable though. There is no comparable fare-class (L, U, T) restriction, and the certificate is also good for travel to Canada, which can be very expensive. Plus you can add 2 companions for $99 each rather than just 1, and the companions also receive Dividend Miles along with the primary passenger (unlike with Delta).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.