Wiki Posts
Search

The Sky (Club) is Falling

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2012, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Starwood Gold, JetBlue, Marriott Silver, Hilton Honors
The Sky (Club) is Falling

Well, I bucked up for a membership yesterday. I thought we (wife and 3 kids) might be stranded at JFK this morning with the weather, so I took advantage of the currrent SC offer. I knew the wife wouldn't be too happy with the spend, so I told her it would be s nice place away from the gate for the kids with free breakfast for all. Well, that was a major disappointement but not the worst of the experience. We were in T2 SC. My three year old was sitting in his stroller and I picked him and took himto the bathroom. While we were gone, the ceiling tile above his stroller, fell to the ground. It missed the stroller by 8-10 inches. It was saturated and must have weighed 15-20 pounds and 18 inches sq. Well, my wife was not thrilled. Imagine if that had landed on his head? It would have done serious damage. She packed us up and out we went. The service was also very poor. No cream or milK for coffee and just bagels, yogurt and some oatmeal. I have only been in the San Diego club, and although small, the service and offerings were much better. My wife told me on the way out that I was ripped off. I think she was right.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Wow! That state of disrepair is unbelievable! Not to mention very hazardous!

I feel that the Skyclubs are a good additional benefit, whichever way one gets it, but I am not so sure its something that I'd pay an annual fee for. I get my Skyclub access via the Amex Plat, for which I am thankful.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

The place was pretty crowded and an obvious leak. I hope they closed it and checked all tiles after we left. The service was terrible also. Not very accommodating for drinks (soft).
Old Dec 27, 2012, 3:56 pm

Programs: DL KM (charter)
I would consider complaining like hell and asking for a refund, since you just purchased it yesterday. Hope your trip gets better.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

What is the contact info for complaints? It was a little better...for the wife. I gave her the upgrade...it was her birthday after all.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 4:03 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Krankenfaren
No cream or milK for coffee . . .
While most SkyClubs do serve the little round coffee creamers, for some reason that one doesn't. On the fancy coffee machine, you hafto press "Coffee with Milk". That's about as close as you're gonna get!
Old Dec 27, 2012, 4:03 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
SAN is one of the best club in the system IMO. Your experience in JFK was not typical however. Even the crappy SkyClubs are, while worn, in decent repair. I'd complain to DL about the ceiling tile but in my experience, most clubs are not like that.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davetravels
While most SkyClubs do serve the little round coffee creamers, for some reason that one doesn't. On the fancy coffee machine, you hafto press "Coffee with Milk". That's about as close as you're gonna get!

Yes, took us awhile to figure that out, but it was piping hot!
Old Dec 27, 2012, 4:06 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
As a Delta PM, I think you'll probably get some benefit out of it considering you fly quite a bit. If it's mostly direct flights with little time to spend before your flights, then that's another story.

Food offerings are pretty slim, and they get old fast. Free drinks is a nice perk, plus you'll usually get nicer less crowded bathrooms. Some of them have showers which I have really appreciated on domestic redeyes.

I think the Platinum AMEX is a better value for SkyClub access (as well as access to other airline lounges). You'll pay $450, but you can get a lot of that back with the $200 airline fee reimbursement, plus you can get free Global Entry which would qualify you for TSA pre-check. There's other perks on top of that as well.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 4:19 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Hell, I think oatmeal and yougart is the BEST food served in SCs (and I actually like it).

But the free entertainment (dodge the falling tiles) I could live without.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 4:48 pm
In memoriam

Is it the Sky Club or JFK?

http://observer.com/2012/01/terminal...ey-soar-again/

I'm not sure when I was last in JFK (30-40 years ago?) - but it would be a hub of last resort for me now. And - when I fly to NYC - I fly into LGA or EWR (which are no great shakes IMO). Robyn
Old Dec 27, 2012, 5:22 pm

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
Oh dear, I wish you had asked us before you bought. The Sky Club is not meant to be a restaurant, and there is often nothing of value at breakfast, if you value your health... As for the club being a "quiet" place away from the gate, that is just a bad joke these days. The Sky Club is primarily a bar and sometimes a shower but it is not quiet nor is it a good place to bring a child. Bits of the ceiling falling off on the kid is taking it a bit far though...I'm sure you are experiencing buyer's remorse. I *think* if you have less than 72 hours since you made the purchase you can cancel it. CALL your attorney general's office first thing in the morning and find out for sure before it's too late. I am not guaranteeing this will work. It's your responsibility to hop on it and find out. It does work for a lot of memberships though.

Yes, I'm a woman, so maybe we just think the same way, but I definitely think your wife was right that it was a very poor purchase! People who expect quiet are going to be unhappy campers. People who expect what's actually there -- booze etc. -- are the ones who generally get the most enjoyment out of the club.

Originally Posted by Krankenfaren
Well, I bucked up for a membership yesterday. I thought we (wife and 3 kids) might be stranded at JFK this morning with the weather, so I took advantage of the currrent SC offer. I knew the wife wouldn't be too happy with the spend, so I told her it would be s nice place away from the gate for the kids with free breakfast for all. Well, that was a major disappointement but not the worst of the experience. We were in T2 SC. My three year old was sitting in his stroller and I picked him and took himto the bathroom. While we were gone, the ceiling tile above his stroller, fell to the ground. It missed the stroller by 8-10 inches. It was saturated and must have weighed 15-20 pounds and 18 inches sq. Well, my wife was not thrilled. Imagine if that had landed on his head? It would have done serious damage. She packed us up and out we went. The service was also very poor. No cream or milK for coffee and just bagels, yogurt and some oatmeal. I have only been in the San Diego club, and although small, the service and offerings were much better. My wife told me on the way out that I was ripped off. I think she was right.

Last edited by peachfront; Dec 27, 2012 at 5:27 pm
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
JFK T2 is among the most miserable of Sky Clubs. I've never had a ceiling tile fall on me... worst was the mold all over the showers (which I believe has finally been cleaned since I took these pictures, but it persisted for quite a long time).

Old Dec 28, 2012, 6:34 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Renovations on that building are very difficult because of the large amount of asbestos....not an excuse, just sayin......
Old Dec 28, 2012, 7:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I find it ironic that the OP brought three kids, including one in a stroller, into a SC while complaining that the SC was not quiet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.