FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   JFK Security Strike 20th Dec (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1417207-jfk-security-strike-20th-dec.html)

mwawi Dec 13, 2012 4:49 pm

JFK Security Strike 20th Dec

Looks like the security people at JFK are proposing to strike next week. Has anyone heard much about this and how it's going to affect passengers travelling through JFK.
If this happens are we going to be re-routed to other hubs for international flights or how is this going to get handled.

December 13. 2012 - NEW YORK (AP) - Security guards at John F. Kennedy Airport are threatening to walk off the job this month.

The nonunion workers say they want better training and equipment.

A strike-authorization vote is set for Thursday or Friday. If approved, they could walk out on Dec. 20.

The 300 workers direct traffic in front of terminals and check tarmac gates to make sure they're secure, among other duties.

They work for two different companies, Air Serve and Global Elite Group.

Both companies say they are open to discussions with the workers.

The workers also filed complaints with the TSA, saying job conditions resulted in security lapses. According to the Wall Street Journal, the agency said an investigation didn't reveal any regulatory violations.

Any thoughts

DLCorpGal Dec 14, 2012 9:55 am

Originally Posted by mwawi (Post 19852345)
Looks like the security people at JFK are proposing to strike next week. Has anyone heard much about this and how it's going to affect passengers travelling through JFK.
If this happens are we going to be re-routed to other hubs for international flights or how is this going to get handled.

December 13. 2012 - NEW YORK (AP) - Security guards at John F. Kennedy Airport are threatening to walk off the job this month.

A strike-authorization vote is set for Thursday or Friday. If approved, they could walk out on Dec. 20.

The 300 workers direct traffic in front of terminals and check tarmac gates to make sure they're secure, among other duties.

They work for two different companies, Air Serve and Global Elite Group.

Both companies say they are open to discussions with the workers.

The workers also filed complaints with the TSA, saying job conditions resulted in security lapses. According to the Wall Street Journal, the agency said an investigation didn't reveal any regulatory violations.

Any thoughts

We don't expect any disruptions to our operations at JFK as a result of any action that may be taken by these groups. We do not contract with Global Elite Group. We do work with Air Serve, but their management has a contingency plan in place to avoid any service disruptions.
Thanks,
DLCorpGalNYC

MSPeconomist Dec 14, 2012 9:57 am

Originally Posted by DLCorpGalNYC (Post 19856041)
We don't expect any disruptions to our operations at JFK as a result of any action that may be taken by these groups. We do not contract with Global Elite Group. We do work with Air Serve, but their management has a contingency plan in place to avoid any service disruptions.
Thanks,
DLCorpGalNYC

Thank you for taking the time to post this information.

avflyer Dec 14, 2012 10:12 am

Thanks,
DLCorpGalNYC

Really great response and response time. Bravo.

So happens my family and I are flying TATL on the evening of the 20th out of JFK. When I first saw the thread title I was thinking that it was the TSA - which would have been hell. If these guys go on strike at least I will be able to park at the terminal to unload my luggage ;)

mwawi Dec 14, 2012 2:13 pm

Thanks,
DLCorpGalNYC

Thank you for the fast response. Greatly appreciate it. ^

adamj023 Dec 14, 2012 2:44 pm

Looks like they do direct traffic so it should cause delays to some extent if it were to occur.

Considering how crowded JFK is and how limited the taxiway space is now, it will likely be more significant than one would think.

Pharaoh Dec 14, 2012 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by adamj023 (Post 19857887)
Looks like they do direct traffic so it should cause delays to some extent if it were to occur.

Considering how crowded JFK is and how limited the taxiway space is now, it will likely be more significant than one would think.

They direct car, truck, taxi, bus, scooter, etc. traffic, not airplane traffic (the FAA tower does that).

adamj023 Dec 14, 2012 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by Pharaoh (Post 19858352)
They direct car, truck, taxi, bus, scooter, etc. traffic, not airplane traffic (the FAA tower does that).

Then who are the guys who direct the airplanes with the flags on the ground?

If it is just directing airport traffic like the guys who say red zone and stuff and keep traffic flowing then yeah it won't be a huge deal.

Reminds me of the airplane movies and memories of being to the airport in the old days.

mikehillwig Dec 14, 2012 4:33 pm

So nonunion workers are going to strike? Most companies call that quitting.

adamj023 Dec 14, 2012 4:53 pm

Reagan back during the 1981 ATC strike where he laid off the employees.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Re...trike_1981.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paF5tEaqcVQ

TTT Dec 14, 2012 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by adamj023 (Post 19858389)
Then who are the guys who direct the airplanes with the flags on the ground?

Airline or contract ground crew. Companies like SwissPort, Delta Global Services, Menzies, World Flight Service are the big ground service contract firms.

sbjnyc Dec 14, 2012 6:23 pm

Thanks,
DLCorpGalNYC

Thanks for the info. I'm flying out of JFK on 12/20 so any additional updates you may have would be greatly appreciated.

BobH Dec 14, 2012 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by mwawi (Post 19852345)
Looks like the security people at JFK are proposing to strike next week.

Any thoughts

What doesn't make sense here is how can a group of workers that doesn't have a union go on an organized strike

and if they were to put up a picket line, would anyone who belongs to a union cross it?

Makes me wonder if the reporter that put this together did any fact verification.

Bob H