Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta's disgraceful walk for International arrivals at ATL

Old Dec 12, 12, 11:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA life 1K, 2MM; AA Life Pt 3mm; DL nada now!; AS nada now; BA, FD, CX, LH, DD, Amex Pt, Diners

This must appear in a thread somewhere but I can't find it. I arrived today off an intl flight at Delta's Terminal E and to get to the street I had to walk to the International terminal to get my bags. If it was not 3/4 mile then I'd be surprised. I am lucky to be fit and now a lot fitter but my mother for one would be dead from this experience. I have never in my life experienced such a disgraceful walk from the plane to the final exit. For sure anyone arriving in and finishing their journey in ATL needs to avoid DL. I wonder if Richard Anderson personally has it in for passengers who arrive on DL international flights. Sure as heck he is not the slightest caring about them. The first part of the arrival process is an incredibly long walk that ends up at an elevator. But getting out at the bottom the nightmare continues with an escalator thrown in somewhere. This is just abuse by DL and yet another example of how customer service in the US has gone to heck.

Last edited by UAAAPeter; Dec 12, 12 at 11:59 pm Reason: typo
Old Dec 13, 12, 12:13 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors

This is what the wheelchair/cart service is for. It's free, if you need it use it.

I'm sure Richard Anderson designed the ATL airport specifically to inconvenience you.

Congratulations on having lived such a charmed life that this seemed like a serious negative experience to you.

(Just in case this isn't a troll/joke.)
Old Dec 13, 12, 12:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA life 1K, 2MM; AA Life Pt 3mm; DL nada now!; AS nada now; BA, FD, CX, LH, DD, Amex Pt, Diners
Troll/joke

Originally Posted by HongKonger View Post
This is what the wheelchair/cart service is for. It's free, if you need it use it.

I'm sure Richard Anderson designed the ATL airport specifically to inconvenience you.

Congratulations on having lived such a charmed life that this seemed like a serious negative experience to you.

I will assume this reply is indeed a joke. Do you have any idea from personal experience how long this walk is? And it was not that serious an experience for me as I am lucky enough to be fit and a walk like this is actually a chance to exercise off the junk food I received on the plane. But a lot of people are not as fit as I am lucky enough to be. And they don't know to expect an arduous walk like this, and would have no idea of the need to order a cart, if indeed they exist. And the average unfit traveler would hardly contemplate a wheel chair. As it happened there were a couple of carts - that immediately filled - for about 200 trivial yards of the total distance. I suggest you fly into ATL and experience this issue before exercising your excellent skills in sarcasm at fellow FTers who are only trying to bring attention to a very real problem. And trust me, it is a serious negative experience that needs fixing.
Old Dec 13, 12, 1:11 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by UAAAPeter View Post

I will assume this reply is indeed a joke. Do you have any idea from personal experience how long this walk is? And it was not that serious an experience for me as I am lucky enough to be fit and a walk like this is actually a chance to exercise off the junk food I received on the plane. But a lot of people are not as fit as I am lucky enough to be. And they don't know to expect an arduous walk like this, and would have no idea of the need to order a cart, if indeed they exist. And the average unfit traveler would hardly contemplate a wheel chair. As it happened there were a couple of carts - that immediately filled - for about 200 trivial yards of the total distance. I suggest you fly into ATL and experience this issue before exercising your excellent skills in sarcasm at fellow FTers who are only trying to bring attention to a very real problem. And trust me, it is a serious negative experience that needs fixing.
Not a joke at all. A response in words since there is no facepalm emoticon on FT.

I've flown int'l into ATL before and it is no longer of a walk than one usually must do in HKG my home airport which is considered one of the best designed airports in the world.

At an airport there is always someone you can ask if you have a problem. Life will be more pleasant if you don't sweat the small stuff.

I(2x)BTL
Old Dec 13, 12, 1:18 am

Location: In the process of moving from Dubai back to Tokyo because I didn't like it there. Working in Melaka, Malaysia now.
Programs: No longer loyal to any airline.
Thumbs down

I've flown into and out of ATL on int'l flights sevral times with DL and I don't recall the walk being worse than anywhere else..............maybe this was the OP's first flight or something.

Next time, just pass a message to the FA's requesting landing at a closer gate.
Old Dec 13, 12, 2:03 am

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL
since there is no facepalm emoticon on FT.
Might fit the bill

Old Dec 13, 12, 6:09 am

I understand the OPs rant, but sadly it's same in many of the worlds international airports. Many require a 1/2 to 3/4 mile walk from the plane to the passport control, and I've never seen any electric carts available there, so at least ATL does offer service above and beyond most other airports.

(What I've NEVER understood is why my plane always seems to park right at the very end of the mile long terminal while all the other gates closer to immigration are empty. I think the airlines are trying to make us fitter.)

Also, when you fly from LHR to CDG on AF I always seem to walk half the way there! The gate is a very long distance from the terminal at both ends!
Old Dec 13, 12, 6:22 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
do you guys really know how long 3/4 of a mile is? I'm thinking no.
Old Dec 13, 12, 6:30 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
In a manner of speaking, he did. Delta had extensive input into the design of the international terminal.
Old Dec 13, 12, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, AA Plat
Originally Posted by mikepa View Post
I understand the OPs rant, but sadly it's same in many of the worlds international airports. Many require a 1/2 to 3/4 mile walk from the plane to the passport control, and I've never seen any electric carts available there, so at least ATL does offer service above and beyond most other airports.

(What I've NEVER understood is why my plane always seems to park right at the very end of the mile long terminal while all the other gates closer to immigration are empty. I think the airlines are trying to make us fitter.)

Also, when you fly from LHR to CDG on AF I always seem to walk half the way there! The gate is a very long distance from the terminal at both ends!
The walk will not hurt most and, if it does (barring some sort of physical limitation), perhaps that's saying something. I've done the schlep through LHR many times...T3 and T4 can be quite a walk when coming from some gates...even with a moving sidewalk!
Old Dec 13, 12, 6:33 am

Programs: AA - EXP
I take a picture of wherever I land as the maps show distance to the checkpoints. It does feel like a longer walk than other airports with similar walks but I think that's because of the long hallways. There are moving walkways for at least 40% of it though so you're really not walking that far... And as others have said there are always carts (though usually not until connecting customs.
Old Dec 13, 12, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, AA Plat
Originally Posted by MichaelKade View Post
I take a picture of wherever I land as the maps show distance to the checkpoints. It does feel like a longer walk than other airports with similar walks but I think that's because of the long hallways. There are moving walkways for at least 40% of it though so you're really not walking that far... And as others have said there are always carts (though usually not until connecting customs.
If people need a card upon deplaning in most cases, perhaps they've carried to much on to the plane to begin with?!
Old Dec 13, 12, 6:36 am
TTT

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mrredskin View Post
do you guys really know how long 3/4 of a mile is? I'm thinking no.
^ I think T to D in ATL is actually 4000 feet. I can't imagine E to F is that same distance.
Old Dec 13, 12, 6:38 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
..... Wonders if the OP was ever in MIA before the train.....
Old Dec 13, 12, 6:39 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by TTT View Post
^ I think T to D in ATL is actually 4000 feet. I can't imagine E to F is that same distance.
Yeah, I've never walked it, but I've seen it from a plane several times, and it's definitely nowhere close to 3/4 of a mile

Search this Thread
Search Engine: