Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta's disgraceful walk for International arrivals at ATL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta's disgraceful walk for International arrivals at ATL

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:35 pm

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by rncolon_2010
I AGREE for all of the money and time used to build that new terminal, it IS VERY ANNOYING to have to go from E all the day the F to retrieve my luggage. Yes, there are those carts, but not that many. WHY WEREN'T MOVING WALKWAYS part of the plan to begin with. I run, 2-6 miles, on a daily basis so fitness, stamina is NOT an issue for me.
Possibly, it would have cost more and Delta was threatening to move traffic to Memphis as a bargaining chip.

http://www.memphisdailynews.com/edit....aspx?id=40430
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:42 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Originally Posted by UAAAPeter
...my mother for one would be dead from this experience...
...I have never in my life experienced such a disgraceful walk from the plane to the final exit...
...I wonder if Richard Anderson personally has it in for passengers who arrive on DL international flights. Sure as heck he is not the slightest caring about them...
...the nightmare continues...
...This is just abuse by DL and yet another example of how customer service in the US has gone to heck.
...they don't know to expect an arduous walk like this...
...trying to bring attention to a very real problem...
...it is a serious negative experience that needs fixing.

I realize I am piling on to the OP who won't ever show his face on this thread again, but I just had to memorialize the most dramatic of his quotes all in one place.

The sad thing is that there were hardly any pieces that didn't bear calling out.

[bold emphasis added]
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:45 pm

Programs: DL SM
I think you and the OP are just pure lazy. Have you ever had the pleasure of walking from the last international gate to passport control in DTW. Thats a decent walk but guess what I have and I lived. I would much rather walk in a warm building than some of the arrival procedures I have gone through in GDN and KBP. When GDN had one terminal there were a couple of times I had to walk down stairs to the tarmac in snow and walk to a horribly small passport control that was barely big enough to handle a RJ instead of the 737 I was on. KBP in the winter its getting off a 319 down stairs to one bus to take the whole plane to immigration.

I would much rather walk than freeze my *** off. I would love to see the OP in this situation.

Last edited by notyouravgjt; Dec 13, 2012 at 12:56 pm
Old Dec 13, 2012, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Pres. Circle
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
..... Wonders if the OP was ever in MIA before the train.....
Ha! That was my question too! I walked it in 93' and have since walked most immigration checkpoints in many of the western hemisphere. I was wondering how long the old Miami walk ranked.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 1:06 pm

Programs: DL:PM - Reserve, 2MM, FC, RW; HH: SILVER MR: SILVER
I AGREE for all of the money and time used to build that new terminal, it IS VERY ANNOYING to have to go from E all the day the F to retrieve my luggage. Yes, there are those carts, but not that many. WHY WEREN'T MOVING WALKWAYS part of the plan to begin with. I run, 2-6 miles, on a daily basis so fitness, stamina is NOT an issue for me.
UMMH I do not recall seeing moving walkways from E --> F at Hartsfield. I was just there last week. There are carts at the start of the trek which fill-up quickly and an escalator. did I miss them?

Old Dec 13, 2012, 1:29 pm

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
Heck, at ATL, it's a hike from the last toilet in the row, to the sink nearest the door. big planes = big airport = long walks.

OP is probably one of those who gets wheeled onto the plane during preboarding, is cured in flight, and walks off the plane. I can see where this might lead one to misjudge distances.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 1:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I advise almost all of my patients to walk 3/4 mile each day.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 1:40 pm

Programs: DL Plat, SPG Gold
I just had to walk all the way to my office bathroom and I am beat.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 1:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by TheButlerDiditt
Though I haven't flown internationally out of ATL, I'm inclined to agree with the OP and am surprised at the attacks here. I've flown in and out of ATL twice a week for the last 3 years and I absolutely despise the horrible layout. It seems to take forever to walk those long halls with no moving sidewalk, then wait on the incredibly long/slow escalator where nobody stands to the right to let you pass, just so you can get on a train and repeat the process to connect or get out. It's frustrating when you just want to get out and on with your day. Some people here say they like the walk as if that's some justification. Good for them. They should walk more outside during the day and they'll probably enjoy it a lot more. Airports should move people along quickly and efficiently. I completely agree that this airport doesn't set such a great example.
ok fine but do you think it is disgraceful, abusive, tragic, a nightmare, and that DL set out to harm you?
Old Dec 13, 2012, 1:44 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by realjd
I'd also like to point out that, if you had made this flight a year ago, the thread title would be "Delta's disgraceful TSA Checkpoint for International Arrivals at ATL" since all arriving pax, even those terminating at ATL, had to reclear security and exit through the main part of the airport.
Exactly what I was thinking. I abhorred the previous setup, requiring going through the secure area of the airport and rechecking checked luggage (with a long wait a second time for your luggage) just to exit the airport.

I was at ATL in September and had a lot of time to kill. I went to the F concourse first (landside) then went through security and walked to E. It was a little long but nothing extraordinary. I continued walking underground to where I needed to depart (B or C I think). I much prefer this setup, though I have no immediate plans to end an international trip in ATL.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 1:51 pm

Walking just 30 mintues a week, is the #1 thing you can do for your health.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUaInS6HIGo

The Atlanta airport has plenty of opportunities to implement... Afterall, you need stay healthy to use those SkyMiles!
Old Dec 13, 2012, 2:27 pm

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
Originally Posted by atldlff
Walking just 30 mintues a week, is the #1 thing you can do for your health.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUaInS6HIGo

The Atlanta airport has plenty of opportunities to implement... Afterall, you need stay healthy to use those SkyMiles!
A week or a day?
Old Dec 13, 2012, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by atl runner
A week or a day?
Yep, it is a DAY, thus the 23 1/2 hours. Thanks for pointing that out. In the study he mentions that... Lack of exercise or low fitness is the strongest predictor of death.

So now, think about how we can all utilize our time in the ATL airport to get that 30 minutes of walking in... skip the Plane Train, and even that Porsche ride! OK - Take the Porsche ride but be sure to walk later.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As a fellow "fit person" (I am a distance runner), as the OP has emphasized more than once, I for one look forward to a bit of an exertion after many hours of being relatively immobile. Unless I have a tight connection, of course, but since that wasn't mentioned, I assume that was not an issue here.

Silliest post that I have seen in a while.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 3:27 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold, UA G
Have you been to BKK? Insane walks there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.