Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class and Coach ticket cost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2012, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Just a bit of a rant and aside from the folks who will say if you want to fly F buy F.

Was looking at changing a DTW to DCA flight and while looking at different flights I noticed the cost of First was the exact same as Coach.

If one of the perks of medallion status for being loyal to Delta is complimentary upgrades and they're selling the tickets for the same price, of course F is going to sell out and upgrades won't happen.

What's the point of the benefit?
Old Dec 12, 2012, 9:15 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
You ever get to a dock a lonnnggggg time after your ship has sailed?
Old Dec 12, 2012, 9:16 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
Guessing all of the cheap fares are gone. What is the fare code on the coach ticket? Is Delta not supposed to sell a ticket in F so you an have a free upgrade? Then buy it..then you don't need to worry
Old Dec 12, 2012, 9:18 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Search is your friend ... "first class monetization"

PS the benefit is not for you but Delta'$
Old Dec 12, 2012, 9:20 pm

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Or even the Delta First Class Sale plastered all over the Delta.com website
Old Dec 12, 2012, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by rob0225
Just a bit of a rant and aside from the folks who will say if you want to fly F buy F.

Was looking at changing a DTW to DCA flight and while looking at different flights I noticed the cost of First was the exact same as Coach.

If one of the perks of medallion status for being loyal to Delta is complimentary upgrades and they're selling the tickets for the same price, of course F is going to sell out and upgrades won't happen.

UA does the same thing.
With contracts that aren't too difficult to get you can get 50% off M and higher fares.
P fares, then, are essentially TODs at time of booking and they can be cheaper than a T sometimes.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:08 pm

Programs: DL MM Gold
... the cost of First was the exact same as Coach....
But the restrictions were significantly different, I bet if you looked closer.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:17 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors

Also see the thread about DL's profits increasing by 33% this year.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 4:45 am

I'm a lowly SM so I have a question, what is a free upgrades?! LOL Anyhow, how can anyone be upset that Delta or any other airline for selling available seats, regardless of class of service? This to me is a silly post. DL gives you FREE membership in their FF program. If you fly enough and get status you get the chance for a free upgrade based upon availability.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 5:02 am

So Delta should hold back seats for medallions to upgrade from lower coach fares and risk not being able to resell those same coach seats later on? Although F and Y (for ease of use I am using the generic moniker rather than a specific fare bucket) have the same price the rules of the ticket regarding cancellation and other changes may be different. The F ticket may also be more restrictive when it comes to SDC than the Y seat. Also just because something is marketed as F does not mean it is really an F ticket. It can be an -UP fare where there is an automatic upgrade but in the case of cancellation or other issue such as a reduction in number of seats in F you can be relegated to a coach seat with no compensation from Delta (although they may throw you a few RDM as a goodwill gesture if you complain)
Old Dec 13, 2012, 5:05 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Originally Posted by TheRoadie
But the restrictions were significantly different, I bet if you looked closer.
+1

When you buy an expensive dog from a pet store, there is an expectation that you can get your money back if you change your mind. The extra cost of the "exceptation" is rolled into the cost of the dog.

If you get a free dog (or low cost coach ticket, or low cost 1st class ticket) there is no such exceptation.

Last edited by RRDD; Dec 13, 2012 at 5:13 am
Old Dec 13, 2012, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by nystateofmind
The F ticket may also be more restrictive when it comes to SDC than the Y seat.
No.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 6:44 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT

Then bloody buy F if it's the same price. Complimentary upgrades are on a "space available" basis, meaning if there are open seats that didn't sell, Delta will upgrade Medallions to F. But I can assure you that Delta would rather sell F seats then give them away.

Even as a lowly Silver, I love the complimentary upgrades provided to Medallions by Delta, but this is exactly why they have signs at the National Parks "Don't feed the animals. They may become dependent". I see the same dependcy attitude on here. Many posters here have received enough upgrades on the "space available" basis, that now they expect them and depend on them (and in some cases demand them), despite the fact that they paid for an economy ticket.

Last edited by FlyDeltaJets87; Dec 13, 2012 at 8:13 am Reason: Spelling
Old Dec 13, 2012, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Wow, you guys are sensitive on here. I didn't state I "expected" anything.

I didn't pay attention to fare codes. This was for a SDC within 3 hours of the flight so restrictions of the ticket were probably lower on the concern of whoever was buying them.

There were a but load of seats still in coach, so what is the benefit to Delta of selling the seats for the same price? I honestly don't think they gain anything out of this except ticking off their loyal customers. Like it or not that is one of their declared benefits for people being loyal and spending their money with them. When they make the benefit worthless they may as well not have it.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 8:05 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
I didn't pay attention to fare codes. This was for a SDC within 3 hours of the flight so restrictions of the ticket were probably lower on the concern of whoever was buying them.
OP should not be surprised to find that walk-up fares (i.e., full fare Y) and discounted first cost the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.