FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Delta buys 49% of Virgin Atlantic (official) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1416276-delta-buys-49-virgin-atlantic-official.html)

SOBE ER DOC Dec 11, 2012 8:05 am

This is an excellent strategic move for DL and at rock-bottom pricing. The partnership with SQ never really made sense. There is limited synergies between their route networks. If DL wasn't THE TATL airline in terms of capacity and options, they are now.

Sadly, my guess is that this will mean most DL flyers will make a run on upper class seats, particularly for miles redemption, which will substantially impact award availability. I have VS miles and awards, particularly out of ORD, have come easy.

My question is whether or not DL will up their game even further on US-LHR routes. VS's premium product blows DL out of the water. If fares are rationalized and VS qualifies for MQMs I see no reason to book DL with VS is a viable option.

Cloudship Dec 11, 2012 8:09 am

I'm not as optimistic about this. I can't see DL being happy with just a JV on the JFK-LHR routes. While comparatively they got a deal, Virgin Atlantic has a lot more routes than just that one. But they wont be of much use to DL.

I see DL pressuring VS to switch more of its slots at LHR to LHR-United States routes, which will be seriously detrimental to VS. I also question how the product mix is going to work - VS's premium economy is going to really hurt DL Business Class sales, and US Airlines have issues with offering true Premium Economy.

Lastly, Virgin customers are going to be taking a hit. If they are going to be exchanging Frequent Flyer benefits and lounge access, either they are going to have to give Virgin customers better benefits, or cut back even more for Delta Elite.

ANstar Dec 11, 2012 8:15 am

Originally Posted by Cloudship (Post 19835426)
I'm not as optimistic about this. I can't see DL being happy with just a JV on the JFK-LHR routes. While comparatively they got a deal, Virgin Atlantic has a lot more routes than just that one. But they wont be of much ie.

It's not just lhr-JFK.

The JV includes all UK to US / Canda / Mexicoflying

Ie

MAN-ATL
GLA-MCO
LGW-CUN
Etc

DHG(Th) Dec 11, 2012 8:25 am

According to my email press release from DL...

looks like a done deal.

xolinlevh Dec 11, 2012 8:34 am

Done Deal, Delta bought 49% for $360m

xolinlevh Dec 11, 2012 8:41 am

Delta buys 49% of Virgin Atlantic (official)

Looks like its done According to multiple news outlets they bought 49% for $360 Million

adamj023 Dec 11, 2012 8:44 am

Originally Posted by xolinlevh (Post 19835616)
Looks like its done According to multiple news outlets they bought 49% for $360 Million

Not surprised by this deal. If you think like a corporate executive or management teams you would doing the exact same deal based on the totality of the firms involved.

It is good news all around for frequent travelers and opens up the London market to more destinations so it makes easier and better passage between the UK and USA and around the world.

With Airlines you want airlines with larger networks because it can move you around much easier with less restriction and inconvenience as long as they are well managed.

JBa Dec 11, 2012 8:44 am

I don't see that it's already a done deal. Newspaper article says

"Delta Air Lines said it will buy almost half of Virgin Atlantic"

FederalFlyer Dec 11, 2012 8:46 am

Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC (Post 19835401)

Sadly, my guess is that this will mean most DL flyers will make a run on upper class seats, particularly for miles redemption, which will substantially impact award availability. I have VS miles and awards, particularly out of ORD, have come easy.

I wonder if DL will even have access to upper class when redeeming miles. Or will this be considered first class?

tkey75 Dec 11, 2012 8:52 am

Originally Posted by JBa (Post 19835640)
I don't see that it's already a done deal. Newspaper article says

"Delta Air Lines said it will buy almost half of Virgin Atlantic"

Well, subject to government approval and such, but an offer has been submitted and accepted. DL even posted in the other thread talking about it.

UA Fan Dec 11, 2012 8:57 am

Originally Posted by FederalFlyer (Post 19835657)
I wonder if DL will even have access to upper class when redeeming miles. Or will this be considered first class?

I think it will be considered business class.

davidingotham Dec 11, 2012 8:59 am

Upper Class

I strongly suspect that Delta will give access to Upper Class. When Delta and Virgin Atlantic were codeshare partners in the 90s they treated it that way.

The bigger question is whether VA's fuel surcharges, which are on BA's scale, will apply.

ANstar Dec 11, 2012 9:00 am

Originally Posted by FederalFlyer (Post 19835657)

Why would it be considered First class? It is a business class prodcut and has business class redemptions with all the other Flying Club (Virgin FF) partners.

AA_EXP09 Dec 11, 2012 9:00 am

SQ could try and enhance *A presence in JFK though.
I'm sure many people would rather fly SQ R to LHR that can afford it and take away traffic from AA/BA (although I think that they will have a more difficult time with Y buyers due to 10% earning fares)

jdrtravel Dec 11, 2012 9:02 am

The PE looks very nice from pictures. Anyone flown it? Seems to be like domestic F, which would not be bad for a TATL.

Also---will this provide a new connection point for other Euro destinations? On Virgin or other ST carriers? An alternative to Paris AMS?