Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Service Animal?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2012, 2:07 pm

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Figgie
The concern was someone mentally ill having a psychotic episode due to the stress/fear of flying and that allowing emotional support animals to accompany them would hopefully lessen the possibility of that happening.
I have to confess: if they allowed pax to get "emotional support booze," I'd fudge a little and say I was mentally ill.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 2:22 pm

The whole "emotional support animal" thing is a bunch of hokum. Primarily, it is just a ploy by "The Entitled" to get special privileges that honest people don't. For that tiny subset of people with "emotional support animals" who legitimately have emotional issues that are helped by the presence of the animal, I think they should just stay home and quit inconveniencing others.

Whatever happened to "emotional support PEOPLE" (friends and family members). If you need emotional support, then travel with a human. And if a human won't do, then just stay home!
Old Dec 13, 2012, 2:27 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Emotional support dogs, cats, pigs, ducks and ponies are permitted, provided that the mental health professional certifies that the patient suffers from a disorder and that the animal's presence will help the patient cope.
And pit vipers! I think I feel a severe case of Acute Anger coming on, and my pit viper is the only thing that will calm me down...
Old Dec 13, 2012, 6:24 pm

Programs: Waffle House DM
I suffer from a severe emotional disorder that makes me constantly worry that other travellers are getting something I am not. My physician has prescribed a "companion frequent flyer" for me. It works very simply, I just take the trips and let my companion frequent flyer worry about all the injustices and report them on the internet. The only burden for me is I have to read Flyertalk regularly to see what unfairness has befallen my companion frequent flyer. The great news is so many of them seem willing to volunteer for this duty. I'm thinking of making them wear a small vest so other travellers know how constantly angry they are.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Slow learner
I suffer from a severe emotional disorder that makes me constantly worry that other travellers are getting something I am not. My physician has prescribed a "companion frequent flyer" for me. It works very simply, I just take the trips and let my companion frequent flyer worry about all the injustices and report them on the internet. The only burden for me is I have to read Flyertalk regularly to see what unfairness has befallen my companion frequent flyer. The great news is so many of them seem willing to volunteer for this duty. I'm thinking of making them wear a small vest so other travellers know how constantly angry they are.
Cute post, Slow learner!
But if there was no injustice, there would hardly be anyone left on FT!
Old Dec 18, 2012, 2:40 pm

Programs: DL Plat, DL SkyClub, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, National Emerald Exec
Originally Posted by Slow learner
My Evil Twin needs a job. Just might follow Slow learner's lead.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Snidely Whiplash
The whole "emotional support animal" thing is a bunch of hokum.

Whatever happened to "emotional support PEOPLE" (friends and family members). If you need emotional support, then travel with a human.
Kewl. Can I get free flights like the other emotional support animals do?
Old Dec 18, 2012, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by sethb
Kewl. Can I get free flights like the other emotional support animals do?
Do you fit on the floor under the seat in front of you?
Old Dec 19, 2012, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by 32767a
Do you fit on the floor under the seat in front of you?
How cute is the woman to whom I'm providing emotional support?
Old Dec 19, 2012, 8:50 am

I was on a Delta flight the other night where a woman had an "emotional support chihuahua" and another "emotional support dog".

She had two clearly untrained dogs--one on her lap, and another laying in the bulkhead row on some poor guy's feet for the entire flight.

Between blabbing on her cell phone, playing with her iPad while feeding the chihuahua pretzels, and adjusting her various expensive bling, it was fairly clear that she had no visible disability and was using the red vests to get her babies on the plane.

Even the gate agents laughed when they saw it, but said they could do nothing because of the red vests on the dogs.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Does an "emotional support" animal count as a carry on for the passenger?

I know if I travel with my cat, in addition to paying the pet fee, the cat carrier also is suppose to be considered a carryon.

I think if Delta reduced the pet fee to a more reasonable amount, there would be less abuse of emotional support animals.

Last edited by jamesteroh; Dec 19, 2012 at 9:06 am
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by sethb
How cute is the woman to whom I'm providing emotional support?
I didn't know you were a lesbian.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 1:55 pm

Programs: DL DM; US GP; Fairmont PL; HHonors DM; Hyatt GP Diamond; Hertz President's Circle
On my MSP-DCA flight the other night, an extremely chatty woman from SoCal boarded with an "Emotional Support Service Dog" which was, in reality, a 60+ pound Boxer which "smelled like dog" as polite society might say. There was no way this dog would fit under the seat and instead laid across the entire foot space for all three seats on the bulkhead. "Omar" kept pounding his big lug head into the seat back of my spot in F -- fortunately it wasn't anything that a little Woodford and some well practiced anger management tactics couldn't overcome.

In all seriousness, I think the whole service animal loophole is ripe for some real Sheena-works. Anyone can buy one of the vests on the internet and nearly everyone knows a doctor who will write a note. Plus, what happens if another pax is allergic to dog dander (as is my 7 year old)?
Old Dec 21, 2012, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlynGyn
In all seriousness, I think the whole service animal loophole is ripe for some real Sheena-works. Anyone can buy one of the vests on the internet and nearly everyone knows a doctor who will write a note. Plus, what happens if another pax is allergic to dog dander (as is my 7 year old)?
Passengers with allergies to animals can ask to be re-seated elsewhere in the cabin.

Emotional support animals don't need vests. And while there may be doctors willing to write a note for anyone, the requirements for an emotional support animal include a letter confirming that the person has been diagnosed with a mental or emotional disorder and that they can be helped if their emotional support animal accompanies them. While I'm sure there's some shenanigans going on, if they have the letter and follow the procedures, they're going to be with us. Might as well prepare (bring the benadryl) and get used to it.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Passengers with allergies to animals can ask to be re-seated elsewhere in the cabin.

Emotional support animals don't need vests. And while there may be doctors willing to write a note for anyone, the requirements for an emotional support animal include a letter confirming that the person has been diagnosed with a mental or emotional disorder and that they can be helped if their emotional support animal accompanies them. While I'm sure there's some shenanigans going on, if they have the letter and follow the procedures, they're going to be with us. Might as well prepare (bring the benadryl) and get used to it.
I rember the 2 blond girls in F on paid F tickets with their little dogies asking me and my wife (also in paid F) to switch a row because they were stuck in row 1 and the bulkhead is no place for the dogs
Most of this is complete b.s. and I'd love if the airlines would start to take care of their passengers with allergies (like myself).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.