Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Can i buy to seats on a flight?? and if i do, do i get double miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2012, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska mvp G, AA Exec Plat, Marriott/SPG platinum, United Silver, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond

never tried... just wondering..
Old Dec 2, 2012, 10:05 am

Programs: AA Gold, rif-raf on most others; MBTA "valued customer"
two seats, yes. 2x miles, no.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Do you mean if you purchase more than one seat?

IIRC, a person purchasing two seats for themselves can get 2x redeemable miles (I think I've seen this posted before), but only 1x MQMs.

EDIT: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ne-person.html seems to continue the debate of whether or not RDMs are earned on the second seat...anyone have any thoughts?

Last edited by rwoman; Dec 2, 2012 at 10:12 am
Old Dec 2, 2012, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Okay, per dl.com, the answer is NO.

Mileage Credit Rules & Conditions

Mileage credit will not be given for the following:

-Refunded, void, or unused tickets, including unused nonrefundable tickets.
- Airline employees, travel agents, tour conductors, and/or other persons traveling on a nonrevenue basis or travel industry/cargo customer discount fares
- Infants (under age two) traveling without paying an applicable fare. (Mileage will be credited to the accounts of infants traveling on a ticket purchased at the applicable fare)
- Free tickets of any kind, including without limitation SkyMiles Award tickets and tickets received in exchange for a Delta transportation voucher
- Tickets purchased to carry excess baggage such as musical instruments and pets or to provide extra space for the primary passenger
- Delta charter flights
- Tickets issued at fares subject to rules that exclude the earning of mileage credit for the fare. Fares excluded from earning mileage credit frequently change, particularly on partner airlines. You should always check with Delta, the issuing carrier or your travel agent at the time of booking to ensure that the fare you are purchasing qualifies for mileage credit.
- Bookings made through some Internet sites as described at those sites, including without limitation tickets purchased through Priceline.com
- SkyMiles can not be earned on flights to/from Cuba
- Pay with Miles Tickets including MQM accrual
Old Dec 2, 2012, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Also worth keeping in mind the recent story of the cellist whose accounts were closed because the 2nd seat for the cello was credited to a SM account.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 10:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by javabytes
Also worth keeping in mind the recent story of the cellist whose accounts were closed because the 2nd seat for the cello was credited to a SM account.
However, part of that story was that the cellist in question had a separate FF account for the cello, while other cellists were being told to phone DL after travel and request redeemable miles for their cellos' travels.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska mvp G, AA Exec Plat, Marriott/SPG platinum, United Silver, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond
thanks.... seems almost illegal that you cant earn MQM if you buy 2 seats
Old Dec 2, 2012, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zerodegre
Almost illegal? Interesting expression.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 11:15 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
What law requires DL to give out any particular number of MQMs, or even have a FF program at all?
Old Dec 2, 2012, 11:28 am

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
Illegal, how? It helps you. You know how your boss cuts a deal with the hotel, and even though you're the one away from home and stuck in a hotel room...your boss picks up all the chips (rebates, points, etc) for the hotel loyalty benefits? You want your boss or company to also pick up all the frequent flyer miles when they buy you an airline seat and send you to outer east elbow? There are lots of things broken about Delta Skymiles. This rule is not one of them. The person who is in the seat should get the miles. The person who is not in the seat should NOT get the miles. Made-up persons such as cellos sure as heck shouldn't be getting miles and competing with real people for the very limited redemptions out there...

Old Dec 2, 2012, 12:35 pm

I think if you are unfortunate enough to be so large that you have to buy two seats to fly comfortably, you should get the MQM for both tickets. After all it is BIS miles. Or I guess it should be BISS.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

No company pays for my flights bro... 100% out of my pocket... If i want to pay for 2 seats... why should i not be allowed to get miles?? i do not understand any logic to the contrary. If I pay money for a ticket, I should receive MQM miles

ALSO... I am not referring to made up people.. i am saying i should be allowed to buy 2 seats in my own name if I wish and get the miles
Old Dec 2, 2012, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No company pays for my flights bro... 100% out of my pocket... If i want to pay for 2 seats... why should i not be allowed to get miles?? i do not understand any logic to the contrary. If I pay money for a ticket, I should receive MQM miles

ALSO... I am not referring to made up people.. i am saying i should be allowed to buy 2 seats in my own name if I wish and get the miles
YOU may want 2x the miles for twos seats. HOWEVER, per DL's T&C, they are only going to give you 1x the miles, even for two seats.

YOU can always take your business elsewhere if you so choose...
Old Dec 2, 2012, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
If i want to pay for 2 seats... why should i not be allowed to get miles?? i do not understand any logic to the contrary. If I pay money for a ticket, I should receive MQM miles
The logic to the contrary is this: I won the Powerball last week and decided to pay for all of the seats on a plane for all of my friends and a whole bunch of strangers to sit in. I paid for them, should I receive MQM credit for that flight x 200 seats?

Although this doesn't apply to your case of personal-paid trips, if we switched the FFP to accrue points for the purchaser and not the traveler, planes would be full of lots of unhappy businesspeople and HQ offices would be homes to 1 or 2 beaming admin assistants.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 10:49 pm

While this is a reasonable opinion, it is just not how airlines work. If this was the case, MRers would always be buying two or more seats and lots of elites would buy two seats on good fares, etc. There is some validity to your point, but the simplest answer is that is just isn't how things are done. Kind of like the rule that you must fly the flight in order to get the miles.

Originally Posted by gooselee
Although this doesn't apply to your case of personal-paid trips, if we switched the FFP to accrue points for the purchaser and not the traveler, planes would be full of lots of unhappy businesspeople and HQ offices would be homes to 1 or 2 beaming admin assistants.
This isn't what the OP is talking about. He is simply saying that the passenger that buys the extra seat next to him should be able to get the miles for both seats.

Which is quite different from saying the person/company that bought the ticket should get the miles. (there is some validty to that concept, which is why DL has SkyBonus, etc.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.