Schedule change on award ticket

Old Nov 29, 12, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO, BA Bronze, Avis Preferred
Schedule change on award ticket

Hey there all!

I booked an award ticket on KE using SkyMiles a few months ago, from LGW to ICN. I noticed today that KE is suspending flights from LGW during the period I'll be traveling. I haven't been rebooked yet (I assume they'll want to put me on the KE flight from LHR instead).

I assume I'll get a free change due to the schedule change, and being forced to change to a different co-terminal. I'm not ready to use the free change yet, as I may have to change/cancel the trip later. As such, I don't want to call Delta yet to discuss possible changes.

Anyway, I was just wondering what options people have had in similar situations. Will I have to be rebooked into another flight that has SkyMiles award availability, or can they override that? Do you think I could get DL to pay for a cab to LHR (a longshot, I assume)?

Also, if I am able to switch to a different routing/carrier, does anyone have recommendations on carriers/routings? I'd like to get the most bang for my SkyBuck. I'm scheduled to fly back from ICN via FRA on the A380, and am planning on keeping the return segments as they are.

Thanks for your insight!
Old Nov 30, 12, 12:29 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
I've not been through that drastic of a change on an award ticket. I suspect that KE will rebook everyone on the LGW flights impacted to LHR, so be checking your reservation on DL.dumb. KE is unlikely to notify you.

DL pay for a cab to LHR? Hah! I found that SWT from Clapham Junction to Feltham and then the 490 bus to LHR T4 was a perfectly reasonable way to get from Southwest London to LHR. There are lifts at both stations now, so it's easy even with luggage. Given the paucity of SkyTeam flights at LGW, I was only ever out there once…when I flew FR back from Spain during the snowstorms of 2010. The SkyTeam lounge at LHR will be a good way to forget any transport difficulties
Old Nov 30, 12, 12:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Do not sit around and wait for KE/DL to do something. Take proactive action and make sure that you are properly rebooked. Remember, a lot of other people are affected too and, as they call in, they are likely getting taken care of. The longer you wait, the less availability there may be.

Don't count on being rebooked on another carrier and most certainly don't expect DL to do anything above and beyond for you. It's easier for them to cancel & refund.
Old Nov 30, 12, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO, BA Bronze, Avis Preferred
After being unable to view my itinerary on Delta.com all day, I've been rebooked on the LHR flight. It's not really that big of a deal, I was just wondering what my options would be.

MtKeller, I'll try your Feltham route. Normally I go via Victoria to Green Park, then take the Picadilly line to LHR.
Old Nov 30, 12, 1:42 pm

Programs: Delta Ballast Medallion, Card Carrying Honorary KM
Originally Posted by PDXNRTLHR View Post

MtKeller, I'll try your Feltham route. Normally I go via Victoria to Green Park, then take the Picadilly line to LHR.
Ewwww- the tube all the way to Heathrow? Why not Paddington and the connect?
Old Nov 30, 12, 2:05 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by NWA/Deltaflygirl View Post
Ewwww- the tube all the way to Heathrow? Why not Paddington and the connect?
It's faster to get to Windsor from Clapham than to Paddington. No joke. I always hated any time I needed to grab FGW, because it meant a multi-train (or train/bus combo) schlep to Paddington. Also, I worked a 10-minute walk from the Pic, so even when work was paying for the transport, I would just suffer through the hour-long Piccadilly ride from Holborn. Easier than getting to Paddington, timing it right for the HEX or HC, transfer to T4, etc.