Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta joins Sprit on the "naughty" list....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta joins Sprit on the "naughty" list....

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2012, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by hazelrah
It's funny to read the disparaging comments about CR from the Delta lovefest crew

This from CR mission statement - "Consumer Reports is an expert, independent, nonprofit organization whose mission is to work for a fair, just, and safe marketplace for all consumers and to empower consumers to protect themselves".

I respect CR, but I never consider their opinions as gospel. They approach things from the consumers standpoint. I'd say most unbiased folks would say they were spot on on Delta and the poor value provided by the "flex" fare purchase.
CR is biased, sometimes unintentionally (e.g. their panel of experts almost all happen to use the same brand of sewing machine, so that brand is rated "easiest to use". Except it isn't, unless you already know how to use it.)

Which other airlines don't have the same sort of disparity between cheapest advance purchase and flexible/refundable fares? Why pick on Delta for being the one that reveals the difference in large print?
Old Nov 28, 2012, 1:19 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
I'd put DL on the naughty list for that Deltalina finger wag safety video

But not for pointing out how much more it is to buy a fully refundable ticket that is the same markup as all other airlines.

The fact that they chose that minor reason to put DL on the naughty list and not the glaringly obvious reason of their award calendar and general low level award availability goes to show that they don't have a good grasp of the industry or the consumer. They took one incident that irked one reporter and decided that was reason enough to berate an entire airline.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 1:52 pm

How about they talk about ATT or Verizon and their new mobile share plans that are ripoffs for a majority of the public?
Old Nov 28, 2012, 1:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by kvs25
How about they talk about ATT or Verizon and their new mobile share plans that are ripoffs for a majority of the public?
Here's one for you that really pissed me off (posted about it on the myFico boards). I was browsing for internet on Comcast's website. Wanted to check prices and also see about installation availability. Entered in all my info to get to the installation step which shows dates/times available. After checking that, I closed the browser and never made a purchase or signed up for service.

Next day I get an alert that they did a hard inquiry on my credit. Never did they say the would check credit, and never did I give permission for them to. Heck, I never even entered into a contract or attempted to make a purchase!
Old Nov 28, 2012, 2:00 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by rthib
For quite a while Consumer Reports has long stopped being about unbiased reviews and more about advocacy of a position.

There expert reviews are a joke of you know anything about the industry or items they are reviewing.

Most of the time they produce these lists, you can usually trace it back to some position that CR is pushing that the company listed disagrees with.

CR is junk science at its worse.
^^

I stopped using their web site 3-4 years ago. I could never seem to get what I considered a real review of a product. I think once they started putting links to 'Price & Shop' for products - that was the end of credibility for them.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by rthib
For quite a while Consumer Reports has long stopped being about unbiased reviews and more about advocacy of a position.

There expert reviews are a joke of you know anything about the industry or items they are reviewing.

Most of the time they produce these lists, you can usually trace it back to some position that CR is pushing that the company listed disagrees with.

CR is junk science at its worse.
In the last 10 years or so, CR has become yet another political advocacy group pushing the NYC-elite-centric view of how the world ought to be. They think of Americans as stupid and needing a nanny government.

At one time in a former life I interviewed with them for a job testing things. Seemed like a satisfying idea - try to break things for a living. After seeing the makings of the political view I was expected to take, I politely backed away.

So it's really no surprise that they picked Delta over this relatively minor issue. It's not like Delta didn't disclose - it tried to upsell.

I've got plenty of bones to pick with Delta over it's policies, pricing, and bait-and-switch tactics (see: price changes when you go to buy a selected itinerary on the Delta website). Had CR picked that, the award calendar, the continued advertising of AF upgrades that are unavailable, or the no-notice changes to the Skymiles program, I might well have agreed with CR's inclusion. But including DL for the upsell? Please give me a break.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 2:45 pm

Programs: Delta KM, United 1K, SPG plat
Politics has nothing to do with it. I'm a pretty liberal guy and I wholeheartedly agree that CR has become a joke. They don't take their work seriously anymore so why should anyone else?
Old Nov 28, 2012, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
What surprises me the most about that "study" is that Uninental is not scraping bottom just above Delta.

Who really cares about their attempt to collect $7xx for a "flexible" ticket. Most people would just notice the "7" at head of the figure and make a mental note as what they can do with it.

Overall customer service & satisfaction is what matters, and none of the large legacies is shinging in those areas.

Originally Posted by tkey75
Like I said, a guy with a bone to pick. Probably from MSP.
I resemble that remark.

Well-deserved.
^

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's a shame. Many years ago they seemed respectable and respected.
Shame was spelled L-e-o. They've never fully recovered from the damage he did.

They were a really nice airline to fly on when I didn't also have to participate in SkyPiles in the post-Leo years.

Seriously, I use to book as much of my domestic travel as possible on DL, even though i wasn't getting upgraded. At the same time the thought of ever trading WorldPerks for SkyPiles was just a bad dream.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
It's funny to read the disparaging comments about CR from the Delta lovefest crew

This from CR mission statement - "Consumer Reports is an expert, independent, nonprofit organization whose mission is to work for a fair, just, and safe marketplace for all consumers and to empower consumers to protect themselves".

I respect CR, but I never consider their opinions as gospel. They approach things from the consumers standpoint. I'd say most unbiased folks would say they were spot on on Delta and the poor value provided by the "flex" fare purchase.
Most consumers don't require flexibility though.
That's why they see no value.
I don't even need it too often for work travel.
But, I do understand the industries they usually report.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by generaltao
Politics has nothing to do with it. I'm a pretty liberal guy and I wholeheartedly agree that CR has become a joke. They don't take their work seriously anymore so why should anyone else?
When the bulk of your money is spent on political advocacy, there is less available for testing. When the tests are designed to bolster a particular point of view, they are no longer truly impartial. When the point of view is derived from a limited slice of the population, it will be biased.

Doesn't matter which political party you support, those hold true.

I submit that a large part of the reason that CR has become a joke is that they are no longer truly impartial with respect to the entire population they claim to serve. I walked away from the employment opportunity because I felt that being truly impartial would be a hindrance.

Yes, it has direct bearing on DL because the attempt to twist something that was a non-issue into a "worst company" award while ignoring those things that truly represent issues is prima facia evidence of the problem with CR - the failure to fully and impartially examine those that they are trashing.

I'll leave it at that.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 7:46 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by sethb
CR is biased, sometimes unintentionally (e.g. their panel of experts almost all happen to use the same brand of sewing machine, so that brand is rated "easiest to use". Except it isn't, unless you already know how to use it.)

Which other airlines don't have the same sort of disparity between cheapest advance purchase and flexible/refundable fares? Why pick on Delta for being the one that reveals the difference in large print?
I believe the answer is, that it is not per se product issue in this case, it is a process issue, i.e. trying to upsell a poor value.

IMO this is a sort of tip of the iceberg ; IMO the list of consumer issues with Delta goes on and on from weather waivers, service to small and medium cities, Frequent Flyer program etc.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
I believe the answer is, that it is not per se product issue in this case, it is a process issue, i.e. trying to upsell a poor value.

IMO this is a sort of tip of the iceberg ; IMO the list of consumer issues with Delta goes on and on from weather waivers, service to small and medium cities, Frequent Flyer program etc.
Sometimes it's not so poor a value (I've seen flex for a fraction of the base price, rather than a multiple).

Now, if CR had picked on DL for the C- high school project DL calls a "website" (leaving out the "h"), I don't think anybody would object.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by sethb
Sometimes it's not so poor a value (I've seen flex for a fraction of the base price, rather than a multiple).

Now, if CR had picked on DL for the C- high school project DL calls a "website" (leaving out the "h"), I don't think anybody would object.
Not of a T fare, though.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Not of a T fare, though.
When no T fare is available, it doesn't much matter what it would have been.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 2:14 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/1.2MM, UA Premier gold/1MM, Choice diamond, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota
I do have to wonder how they make money on these for most people...

Seems that if I a non-refundable ticket I could change it many times over and still come in under the price of a flex fare even with the potential increases in fare.
Try traveling as a contractor on a government contract. The last time I traveled to ANC on business I was forced to pay through the nose for a nonrefundable ticket, on DL, when I could have paid less than half the price for a nonrefundable ticket. The rationale was that I wouldn't have to pay to change it if needed, but I could have paid at least 3 change fees on the cheap ticket and still come out ahead. As it turned out, I didn't have to change it at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.