(Mostly) awesome SDC customer service

Old Nov 26, 12, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold, the rest come and go
(Mostly) awesome SDC customer service

I had a great customer service experience with Delta on Sunday that I thought I'd share, since it reminded me why I appreciate Delta so much (most of the time). I was booked on a one-way M fare LAS-BOS on the non-stop red eye (my upgrade cleared at the window mid-last week). As a newly minted Platinum I was hoping to SDC to one of the many routes leaving between 7 and 8 am. So, I woke up at 4 am (ok, I was still up, it was Vegas after all) and called in to the Platinum line. The young man saw availability on LAS-SLC-BOS leaving at 7:55 and changed my reservation, but said he wasn't able to reissue the ticket, and that I'd need to do that at the airport.

After a leisurely breakfast at the Peppermill I headed to the airport with my friend, who was returning on a United award ticket. When I got to the Delta ticket counter, the agent said she couldn't reissue my ticket; I needed to pay a $460 change fee. She saw that the phone agent had rebooked me as SDC, but said he had been wrong. She called her supervisor, Melody, who came and backed her up. I wasted a few precious minutes getting them to rebook me on the redeye (without my upgrade, naturally), then called the Platinum line again.

The young lady on the Platinum line was just AMAZING. First of all, she was able to still see availability on the LAS-SLC-BOS, and this time confirmed my seats AND reissued my ticket. I asked her to stay on the line while I went up to the ticket counter, where a different agent told me that I had missed the cutoff for check-in, since the D gates are "2 miles" from the terminal (it was now 29 minutes before departure, although I was at the airport an hour early). Since I still had the young lady on the Platinum line, I explained the situation to her and she apologized, then proceeded to search for 30 minutes for another flight. She found a connection in MSP and rebooked me AND reissued my ticket (I think she forced availability on MSP-BOS, since I couldn't see any availability). I was then able to check-in and get my boarding passes. I was even upgraded on the first leg.

Let me say first of all that my understanding is that the first agent at the ticket counter and her supervisor were correct: my original ticket was a non-stop that didn't allow a stop in SLC. However, after my first phone agent had made the original mistake of rebooking me, I was very impressed that the second agent was willing to help me get home. She absolutely made my day and I'm sending in my thanks to Delta. I didn't catch her name but hopefully my compliments will get back to her.
Old Nov 26, 12, 5:32 pm

Programs: DL PM
Be sure to write in to Delta and your comments will definitely get back to her.
Old Nov 26, 12, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Silver/MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
So DL screwed up but eventually fixed it. Glad it finally worked out but if the original agent had simply done her job properly you wouldn't have an "awesome" CS story to tell. And the folks at the airport don't sound like they exactly bent over backwards to make anything easier for you.

One could easily take the same set of facts and write a case for some miles in compensation for the numerous foul-ups and inconvenience and stress you experienced at the airport. Fortunately for DL you are a glass-half-full kind of person.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: