Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What's the best use for 40,000 SkyBonus Points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM; Bonvoy Ambassador

Given that I've already got lounge access... I guess... a whole bunch of beverage coupons? But those expire on December 31, right? And since the only travel I've got left this year is paid F... any bright ideas, FTers?
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:14 am

Why not continue to collect points? The earning rates for paid first/business class travel are very generous in SkyBonus.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Are you asking because you have 40k that are going to expire this year? 2013 is the first year that any SB points will expire since Delta put on the 3yr rolling expiration date.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM; Bonvoy Ambassador
Well, thank you FT, for helping me to actually READ the email Delta sent. In my (very weak) defense, the email was headlined "Sky Bonus Points Expiration." And then, when I opened it, there was a line that showed my points balance, then under that, a line that said "Points expiring on December 31, 2012." What I didn't notice was the colon and the "0" all the way to the right. Sigh. Long day.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 4:20 pm

Maybe for a future tip, I think the skyclub passes may be worth it for 30k.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 5:21 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Save them. If you are flying paid F, then they will add up quickly if it isn't originating/terminating from a major DL hub. 30 points per $ spent for those flights. I used our points to gift my wife silver. My dad's been flying paid F for his work travel, and for one of his trips I was able to save the company $500 by buying a cheap econ fare and using the SkyBonus points to get a confirmed upgrade at time of booking (125k points).

Also keep an eye out for the promos that they run (you can see them on the SkyBonus site, registration required). We got double points for paid J to Europe, which netted about 320k for that trip alone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.