Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changing Prefix from Mr. to Dr.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Changing Prefix from Mr. to Dr.

I'm trying to change my Delta profile from Mr. to Dr. but not sure how to do it and wondered if anyone else has been able to. I know you can't change it online so I called the medallion line and was told I needed to fax or mail in a copy of a government issued ID with Dr. on it.
My Michigan ID does not have a Dr. on it. My passport also does not have it. Has anyone had any success changing this? Should I send them a copy of my diploma?
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Isn't it much more fun to just correct anyone who addresses you as Mr. (in a condescending tone). "Excuse me, but that is DOCTOR Stils! Best you not forget that!"
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:24 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by stils
I'm trying to change my Delta profile from Mr. to Dr. but not sure how to do it and wondered if anyone else has been able to. I know you can't change it online so I called the medallion line and was told I needed to fax or mail in a copy of a government issued ID with Dr. on it.
My Michigan ID does not have a Dr. on it. My passport also does not have it. Has anyone had any success changing this? Should I send them a copy of my diploma?
Are you a MD, DDS or something similar and or do you have a PHd? If the latter, Delta FAs may contact you if there's a medical emergency on board and there won't be that much you'll be able to do to help them.

Bob H
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:25 pm

If you are an MD I can understand - if not why fret?
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:36 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
If you frequently travel internationally, especially to Europe, I would suggest trying to change it to Dr. no matter what kind of doctor you are. Otherwise it is not a big deal.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM HH Gold, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by fti
If you frequently travel internationally, especially to Europe, I would suggest trying to change it to Dr. no matter what kind of doctor you are. Otherwise it is not a big deal.
May I ask why it matters internationally?
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:42 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Originally Posted by stils
I just did this successfully by faxing a letter I typed up and signed. I found the number under "My Profile" on the Delta web site, 404-773-1945. I really don't remember including anything but my request and signature, but YMMV. Diploma would certainly seal the deal, IMO.

Showed up quickly, next day maybe.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:45 pm

Programs: DL Plat
Smile

If you are a physician, why would you want to change to a Dr. salutation? As BobH said, you will be identified as a medical provider and will be asked anything and everything related to medicine if any question arises on board. Believe me, they do. Do you really want that responsibility?

I have the opposite issue, I wanted to remove the Dr. but nevertheless, as long as it does not appear on my BP, I'm fine with it. Apparently, my travel agent can change it so that the BP and manifest does not identify me as a "Dr." I think your Michigan physician license is enough unless you are a 'different' doctor -- like a PhD, for instance, or a doctor of divinity, in which case, I think you better send in your diploma! Good luck.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by timmy83
In .uk at least, the title garners respect.

Seth, Ph.D.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Probably even more so in Germany and Austria.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM HH Gold, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by sethb
In .uk at least, the title garners respect.

Seth, Ph.D.
I see!

Thanks, Timmy83 Pharm.D., Ph.D. haha (I hate being referred to as Dr.)
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:56 pm

Programs: DL Diamond MM, SPG Platinum, Skywards Silver
email....

I did it simply through an email and they changed it the next day.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 1:07 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Particularly when you're on a plane with a US based crew.

Bob H
Old Nov 21, 2012, 1:23 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
I did before so many misrepresented themselves that I can't remember what DL required back in the 20th century.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 2:01 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
As was mentioned, the respect factor. Having lived in Germany and Austria for a combined 16 years (and not being a Dr.) I did see how they are respected. Problems with your flight? You might get more help than a "kettle", perhaps as much as an elite.

Apparently it is similar in the UK from one of the above posts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.