Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changing Prefix from Mr. to Dr.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2012, 2:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sethb
In .uk at least, the title garners respect.

Seth, Ph.D.
At one point in certain British circles, the PhD did not. If you were really good, you could have a good academic career at Oxbridge without doing a PhD so that having one was almost considered a sign of mediocrity. Now they're very careful to distinguish between Mr./Ms., Dr., and Professor titles and get them right.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Probably even more so in Germany and Austria.
As in, a professor with two PhDs being addressed as Herr Professor Doctor Doctor <name>
Old Nov 21, 2012, 2:47 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
At one point in certain British circles, the PhD did not. If you were really good, you could have a good academic career at Oxbridge without doing a PhD so that having one was almost considered a sign of mediocrity. Now they're very careful to distinguish between Mr./Ms., Dr., and Professor titles and get them right.
When I lived in the UK I found that my academic status (PhD, university lecturer) mainly helped with the banks.

Now back in Germany, the professor's title helps with MDs and banks (with MDs mainly because they all were afraid of physics at University, it seems, so they're trying hard not to screw up when explaining the measurements they are going to do and/or like to show off their machinery, which is fun). Otherwise, I think it's rather pretentious to use my title and I try to avoid it. I hate it when people call me with my title. I mean, it's a job and, yes, I am perhaps not too bad in it, but I think when I am flying, I should be treated the same as everybody else, perhaps with a little bit more care because of the amount of travel I do. I just don't see what my academic credentials have to do with this...
Old Nov 21, 2012, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
This might make a good story but it's not in the least bit accurate!

Maybe you're thinking of the convention for titles in British medicine? Physicians are referred to as Dr while surgeons are referred to as Mr/Mrs/Ms (and take great pride in the distinction).
Old Nov 21, 2012, 2:56 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
As in, a professor with two PhDs being addressed as Herr Professor Doctor Doctor <name>
Let's not forget that habilitation!

I think the order becomes Herrn Professor Dr Dr-habil.<last name>

I've also seen the following:

Herrn Professor Dr Dr-habil. Dr-h.c. (num.) <last name>

where Dr-h.c. (num.) stands for numerous honoris clausis (spelling?) doctorates or multiple honorary degrees.

Hopefully this is an Ordinarus (spelling?) or ordinary professor rather than an extraordinary professor (what we would call an associate professor is Ausserordentlich, if only I could remember how to spell in German).

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Nov 21, 2012 at 3:04 pm
Old Nov 21, 2012, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by mAAine_flyer
This might make a good story but it's not in the least bit accurate!

Maybe you're thinking of the convention for titles in British medicine? Physicians are referred to as Dr while surgeons are referred to as Mr/Mrs/Ms (and take great pride in the distinction).
No I'm not thinking of medicine versus surgeon.

One of the last examples of this might well be Sir Mervyn King, Governor of the Bank of England and, before that, Professor at LSE. Also FBA (Fellow of the British Academy) and GBE (honors from the Queen, hence the title Sir).

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Nov 21, 2012 at 3:23 pm
Old Nov 21, 2012, 6:46 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
To OP; if you are a physician and wish to be woken for a medical emergency, wonderful.

If you would rather have the choice to fly incognito, wouldn't change your title.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 9:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards, Hertz #1 Gold
The new and improved (???) delta.dumb makes it look like you can change your prefix and/or suffix on line by clicking the "edit" button. (You have to contact CS in writing to change your name.) However, at least when I tried, nothing happens. That said, I think a phone call to the elite desk or an email would suffice for changing those minor details.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 9:19 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
No I'm not thinking of medicine versus surgeon.

One of the last examples of this might well be Sir Mervyn King, Governor of the Bank of England and, before that, Professor at LSE. Also FBA (Fellow of the British Academy) and GBE (honors from the Queen, hence the title Sir).
Yes, there are very few Professors left who are not also Dr in the UK. In mathematics, GH Hardy was a prime example of someone who was proud to be a Professor with only Mr as the suitable salutation. The PhD didn't become a big thing in the UK until after the Second World War (at least as far as maths is concerned). Since the generic term for university faculty there is lecturer, becoming a professor is a much bigger deal. (For those only familiar with the US system: Assistant Professor=Lecturer, Associate Professor=Reader/Senior Lecturer, Full Professor=Professor.)

OK, back on topic. I had my title changed via @DeltaAssist within the last two years.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Awsm
If you are a physician, why would you want to change to a Dr. salutation? As BobH said, you will be identified as a medical provider and will be asked anything and everything related to medicine if any question arises on board. Believe me, they do. Do you really want that responsibility?

I have the opposite issue, I wanted to remove the Dr. but nevertheless, as long as it does not appear on my BP, I'm fine with it. Apparently, my travel agent can change it so that the BP and manifest does not identify me as a "Dr." I think your Michigan physician license is enough unless you are a 'different' doctor -- like a PhD, for instance, or a doctor of divinity, in which case, I think you better send in your diploma! Good luck.
It was especially a pain for a physio doctor that had no experience in emergency situations.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:08 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by stils
I'm trying to change my Delta profile from Mr. to Dr. but not sure how to do it and wondered if anyone else has been able to. I know you can't change it online so I called the medallion line and was told I needed to fax or mail in a copy of a government issued ID with Dr. on it.
My Michigan ID does not have a Dr. on it. My passport also does not have it. Has anyone had any success changing this? Should I send them a copy of my diploma?
I'm glad you posted. I've had this nagging pain in my right ankle lately...
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by Awsm
If you are a physician, why would you want to change to a Dr. salutation? As BobH said, you will be identified as a medical provider and will be asked anything and everything related to medicine if any question arises on board. Believe me, they do. Do you really want that responsibility?
Maybe because you went to medical school to serve other people? Or because you have a specialized knowledge that may be beneficial to others in an emergency situation? Or you just want to be addressed by your actual name? Or you want the increased respect and deference that the title confers?

As a physician, I believe it is unethical not to assist others in times of emergency. You agreed to that responsibility when you took the Hippocratic Oath: "I SOLEMNLY PLEDGE to consecrate my life to the service of humanity..."

"I WILL MAINTAIN by all the means in my power, the honour and the noble traditions of the medical profession." It is a long-standing tradition to use the title whenever you are addressed by your surname.

Maybe I'm just old-fashioned.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 6:49 am
Suspended

To Funny

Too funny that you want to be called doctor. To must live in ego city.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by DaddyRabbit
Too funny that you want to be called doctor. To must live in ego city.
Dr. DaddyRabbit, Professor of English Grammar?
Old Nov 22, 2012, 7:09 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
It was especially a pain for a physio doctor that had no experience in emergency situations.
That's exactly what a seatmate once said; he was a podiatrist.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.