Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Pre Check

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2012, 6:47 am
Suspended

I never seem to get it when I book something in advance (0%). But I'm almost 90% on last minute same day bookings. Shrugs.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 3:04 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Emerald Club Exec Elite, Air-Kayaker (former United MP)
Begging for Simple, Definitive answer re TSA Pre-Check

Been all over the TSA site, and also the general and UA Pre-check threads here on FT...several search strings, etc. Can someone please just answer this simply:

--I have *never* been selected (based in IND - fly rt out of IND at least 1-2 trips per month--so in 30+ flights this year, I'm 0 for freaking 30!
--I opted in thru the UA website long time ago when it first came out.
--Never been out of the country, all flights domestic.
--The site says no need to do GE

(side note - today I went to GOES site and started the online app, only to get to the screen where it says you have to do an interview at a GE center. There is none listed for IND. I do fly thru ORD most often, so should i just choose that and do an interview next time thru there on a biz trip? this seems pretty extreme but I'll do it if that's what it'll take).

What gives? Never been convicted of anything, pay all taxes, etc and etc...

I asked some TSA folks (supervisors) once if they knew anything (they dont)...so what's the magic bullet?

TIA
Old Nov 28, 2012, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not real familiar with the UA website, but do you have the "Edit Traveler ID" section filled in with your name, birthdate, and gender and did you make sure your name matches what's on your ticket and your ID?
Old Nov 28, 2012, 3:51 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by LBJ
Not real familiar with the UA website, but do you have the "Edit Traveler ID" section filled in with your name, birthdate, and gender and did you make sure your name matches what's on your ticket and your ID?
Name matching is not relevant here, as WhiteOut is not (yet) a GE member. I would suggest he go back to the UA opt-in page to check whether the opt-in is still shown as valid.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 7:46 pm

Did that...

Originally Posted by 14940674
Name matching is not relevant here, as WhiteOut is not (yet) a GE member. I would suggest he go back to the UA opt-in page to check whether the opt-in is still shown as valid.
...Many times...and yes, it still shows the box checked. Any other ideas?

If I have to go the GE route, is the 'interview' as simple as just showing up and answering a few questions? Since there is no office here in IND, I would do it next time I layover in ORD. Is it a walk-in thing or do i have to make appt?

Can we please just abolish the freaking TSA and HSA??
Old Nov 28, 2012, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by WhiteOut
If I have to go the GE route, is the 'interview' as simple as just showing up and answering a few questions? Since there is no office here in IND, I would do it next time I layover in ORD. Is it a walk-in thing or do i have to make appt?
You must make an appointment. At the interview you answer questions, submit prints, and practice using the kiosk.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 8:14 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott PM
Originally Posted by 14940674
...Many times...and yes, it still shows the box checked. Any other ideas?

Can we please just abolish the freaking TSA and HSA??
The interview is really just an agent confirming your information, taking your photo (which will be used on the card), scan your fingers for prints and show you how to use the kiosk. Everyone must be "interviewed" in order to obtain GE.

Yes you can try to walk in, it'll be based on the agents availability. I successfully walked-in in ATL.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 8:40 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Plat, Lifetime Skyclub
I did the interview here at MSP after completing the GOES online application. Needed to be scheduled way in advance, no way could you do a walk in. I know at least here in MSP that there were limited interview times and they were schedule a month or 2 out.

The interview itself was pretty low key. They obviously already have looked into your background by the time you have the interview. They ask a few simple questions about your travel habits and recent trips (they have all your flight info so they could tell me what flights I had taken in the last few years). They take a picture for your GOES ID, you do a set of electronic fingerprints, and they tell you how the program works (for example you get use a kiosk to expedite going through Customs). ID showed up in a few weeks.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 8:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
It appears that WhiteOut is not a DL Elite and if he's trying for DL Pre, he must either be an Elite or have GE.

I don't know what the criteria is for UA so that should be posted in the UA forum.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 8:51 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM / DM, Avis First, Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond, Hyatt Gold
Dedicated PreCheck line at BWI

Got to try the new PreCheck at BWI today. The configuration is unlike anything I've ever seen in my limited experience. You access the line directly instead of going through the elite line, getting the three beeps, and bring "invited". If you only get one beep, they slide you over to the adjacent elite line for the full Monty.

Any place else like that?
Old Nov 29, 2012, 8:03 am

Status irrelevant to Pre-Check, correct?

Originally Posted by SuperG1955
It appears that WhiteOut is not a DL Elite and if he's trying for DL Pre, he must either be an Elite or have GE.

I don't know what the criteria is for UA so that should be posted in the UA forum.
Correct - not trying for DL status, but that is irrelevant to the whole pre-check program is it not?

Apologies -- I thought this particular forum was General TSA issues...so if it need to be moved please do. Thanks.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by scm53
Got to try the new PreCheck at BWI today. The configuration is unlike anything I've ever seen in my limited experience. You access the line directly instead of going through the elite line, getting the three beeps, and bring "invited". If you only get one beep, they slide you over to the adjacent elite line for the full Monty.

Any place else like that?
ATL. They have two BP scanners before you actually enter the TSA lines. Based on your scan, they send you to the appropriate line (general, SP, or Pre), and you get TDC'd at the end of that line, just before the bins. Though if you don't get sent to the Pre line, it's usually quicker to just go back to the main checkpoint off the atrium as that line moves much quicker than the South checkpoint general or SP lanes.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 1:03 pm

Correct - not trying for DL status, but that is irrelevant to the whole pre-check program is it not?

Apologies -- I thought this particular forum was General TSA issues...so if it need to be moved please do. Thanks.
Without status, it is almost impossible to join PreCheck through an airline. You will need GE.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:45 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Platinum
Question here. Is the TSA Pre-check embedded through the airline only or linked to a person? I am DL elite and opted in the Pre-check section. Last week, was the first time I got 3 beeps. Next time, I am flying United on a domestic leg. Will my Pre-check still be valid or do I have to opt-in again via the United site (I matched to Premier Plat on UA)
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by topcat_dcx
Question here. Is the TSA Pre-check embedded through the airline only or linked to a person? I am DL elite and opted in the Pre-check section. Last week, was the first time I got 3 beeps. Next time, I am flying United on a domestic leg. Will my Pre-check still be valid or do I have to opt-in again via the United site (I matched to Premier Plat on UA)
If earned though status, PreCheck eligibility is linked to the airline. You will need to opt-in through UA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.