FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Delta flight price jumps when booking mixed carrier (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1406998-delta-flight-price-jumps-when-booking-mixed-carrier.html)

hg‎ Nov 13, 2012 4:18 pm

Delta flight price jumps when booking mixed carrier

If I book a mixed carrier itinerary on a third party site, should that be the equivalent of two one way flights? I noticed that Delta flight 2226 (ATL-FLL) jumps from $166.25 to $1063.00 when I tack on a second leg on B6. Is this Delta's doing or is this a bug on my corporate travel site?

When booking one way:
Code:

V FARE BASIS    BK    FARE  TRAVEL-TICKET AP  MINMAX  RTG
  1  *KA03A0NJ/XX3G8 K X  166.25        T31MR  3/1  -/  -  501
PASSENGER TYPE-ADT                AUTO PRICE-YES             
FROM-ATL TO-FLL    CXR-DL    TVL-26NOV12  RULE-J6YM FBRNAPV/191
FARE BASIS-KA03A0NJ/XX3G8    SPECIAL FARE  DIS-L  VENDOR-ATP
FARE TYPE-SIP      OW-INSTANT PURCHASE
USD  154.65  0501  E28MAR12 D-INFINITY  FC-KA03A0NJ  FN-   
SYSTEM DATES - CREATED 12OCT12/1932  EXPIRES INFINITY

When booking in conjunction with B6
Code:

V FARE BASIS    BK    FARE  TRAVEL-TICKET AP  MINMAX  RTG
  2  C              C<X  1063.00    ----      -    -/  -  501
PASSENGER TYPE-ADT                AUTO PRICE-YES             
FROM-ATL TO-FLL    CXR-DL    TVL-26NOV12  RULE-2000 DFR/11
FARE BASIS-C                NORMAL FARE  DIS-N  VENDOR-ATP
FARE TYPE-BU      OW-BUSINESS CLASS UNRESTRICTED
USD  988.84  0501  E08AUG11 D-INFINITY  FC-C  FN-   
SYSTEM DATES - CREATED 08AUG11/2015  EXPIRES INFINITY

roknroll Nov 13, 2012 4:38 pm

I don't know all these inner workings, but I notice the second fare is business class unrestricted...

fti Nov 13, 2012 4:47 pm

Without knowing the dates or the destination of the B6 ticket, it is hard to tell exactly how the entire itinerary is pricing. But this is one of the facts I mentioned on another thread when DL said they won't through-check luggage unless all the segments are on the same ticket. I said that many times it is possible to include all flights on the same ticket, but often it is not financially feasible, as you found out.

One of the frequent DL loyalists on the forum took issue with me (and later said we were talking about different issues, which we weren't, but he easily gets confused). Fortunately life on the forum is so much more peaceful for me since I used the 'ignore' feature :D

hg‎ Nov 13, 2012 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by fti (Post 19678163)
Without knowing the dates or the destination of the B6 ticket, it is hard to tell exactly how the entire itinerary is pricing. But this is one of the facts I mentioned on another thread when DL said they won't through-check luggage unless all the segments are on the same ticket. I said that many times it is possible to include all flights on the same ticket, but often it is not financially feasible, as you found out.

I'm not checking any luggage, and they're both direct flights. Does the delta price depend on B6 at all?

Here are the details:
DL 2226 on Nov 26; ATL-FLL
B6 277 on Nov 28; FLL-SFO

roknroll Nov 13, 2012 5:11 pm

Have you looked into why searching ATL-FLL as a one way gives you the lowest price economy (currently K fare), and searching round trip with DL outbound and B6 return is putting you in fully refundable business class? Is there something on your end you are doing or is your travel engine forcing it into C class?

Are you searching for a refundable ticket on the return on B6, that might be causing the entire trip to price as refundable?

fti Nov 13, 2012 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by roknroll (Post 19678288)
Have you looked into why searching ATL-FLL as a one way gives you the lowest price economy (currently K fare), and searching round trip with DL outbound and B6 return is putting you in fully refundable business class? Is there something on your end you are doing or is your travel engine forcing it into C class?

Are you searching for a refundable ticket on the return on B6, that might be causing the entire trip to price as refundable?

Actually it is not a round trip, it is just two segments for a one-way. The difference is the DL flight cost. The B6 cost remains the same, at least what I price (see below).

Originally Posted by hg‎ (Post 19678255)
I'm not checking any luggage, and they're both direct flights. Does the delta price depend on B6 at all?

Here are the details:
DL 2226 on Nov 26; ATL-FLL
B6 277 on Nov 28; FLL-SFO

When I run the numbers based on these flights/dates I get something similar but not as drastic as what you posted in your OP.

Individual tickets cost $185.80 with DL in K and $222.80 with B6 in R. But when you try to ticket in one ticket, it comes for me to $1,296.60 per the fare calc below. It shows for me a Fare Basis of C for the ATL-FLL flight, but it books into Y.

Issuing two separate tickets is often cheaper than one ticket when combining airlines.

ATL DL FLL 988.84C B6 SFO 197.21RH07AE2S USD1186.05END ZP
ATLFLL
FARE USD 1186.05 TAX 5.00AY TAX 88.95US TAX 9.00XF TAX 7.60ZP
TOT USD 1296.60

mattsteg Nov 13, 2012 6:07 pm

REad the fare rules. Often the lowest-priced delta fares are only combinable with other delta fares.

fti Nov 13, 2012 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by mattsteg (Post 19678596)
REad the fare rules. Often the lowest-priced delta fares are only combinable with other delta fares.

That is exactly what is happening. For the K fare:

"COMBINATIONS ARE FOR CARRIER DL/AF/AZ/KL/AS/AM/VA"