PUS via NRT or ICN in 10/13?

Old Nov 9, 12, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
PUS via NRT or ICN in 10/13?

The previous thread was understandably closed despite having some useful content: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...n-fukuoka.html

But I will be buying my ticket to PUS in the next three to 4 weeks. This will be an M/SWU ticket and I an open to using either NRT or ICN to then go direct to PUS.

Of course the whole deal about DL not interlining luggage is making this much more complicated than before so are there other things for me to review?

My day of arrival in PUS is 10/29/13 and day of departure is 11/8/13.

Last edited by Xeno; Nov 10, 12 at 7:41 pm
Old Nov 9, 12, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
T
Of course the whole deal about DL not interlining luggage is making this much more complicated than before so are there other things for me to review?
Don't get separate tickets if you perceive a value in interlining bags.
Old Nov 11, 12, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

I don't remember the ICN SC having a room to rest like one finds at AMS so I take it my only option for a long nap would be one of the day rooms? As a transit passenger, are these not available on the security side or must I go out and do passport, etc?
Old Nov 12, 12, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Yeah I don't recall the ICN KE lounge having a rest area, except for quiet areas in the club. There are multiple KE clubs around. You have to go through immigration first of course, but think you can stay inside security and go to the transfer desk for your ticket to PUS so you don't have to leave.

Your best bet is probably the DTW-ICN and then ICN-PUS on KE. As you said though the interline baggage is an issue. Previously I would've said to buy the M ticket through DL for your OKC-DTW-ICN leg and then ICN-PUS through the KE website. You can get the ticket through KE for much less than what DL or expedia etc offer... typically a C seat for the Y price.

However, if you can do it as one ticket on DL then its probably worth the extra, since I wouldn't be too comfortable about having to go through getting a bag and security again. Whats the connection time, about 2hr if I recall?
Old Nov 12, 12, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rylan View Post
Yeah I don't recall the ICN KE lounge having a rest area, except for quiet areas in the club. There are multiple KE clubs around. You have to go through immigration first of course, but think you can stay inside security and go to the transfer desk for your ticket to PUS so you don't have to leave.

Your best bet is probably the DTW-ICN and then ICN-PUS on KE. As you said though the interline baggage is an issue. Previously I would've said to buy the M ticket through DL for your OKC-DTW-ICN leg and then ICN-PUS through the KE website. You can get the ticket through KE for much less than what DL or expedia etc offer... typically a C seat for the Y price.

However, if you can do it as one ticket on DL then its probably worth the extra, since I wouldn't be too comfortable about having to go through getting a bag and security again. Whats the connection time, about 2hr if I recall?
Thanks for the advice. I imagine Z will be easier to find for DTW-ICN, but I am keeping hope alive that I can jump on the ticket fast enough to find Z through NRT so I can fly the new 747. As always, price, Z inventory, and schedule are the major issues.

In terms of the layover, when I posted that particular note I was actually thinking more of the 11 hour layover I have on 9/7/13 when I start in KUL and take KE to ICN then pick up DL on to DTW.
Old Nov 12, 12, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Well looking this far ahead you should be able to find Z on a 747 through NRT, although it does seem to be easier to find Z on the DTW-ICN route though.

If the times work for connections to PUS then yes definitely go to NRT. Just not sure what times the other KE flights leave out of there and options for a single ticket due to the stupid interline baggage issue.
Old Dec 13, 12, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

I have patiently waited for the 331 day rule but I cannot find Z inventory for preferred days or travel or possible alternatives.

When I bought a 8/13 ticket for KUL 4 weeks ago, I thought the lack of Z inventory was because I had to wait so late to buy. Not only could I not get Z into NRT and fly one of the new 747s, I had to go one day early and stay one day late to get Z for DTW-ICN-DTW (and then could not ug the long flights to ICN-KUL-ICN).

My first choice of dates of travel are 10/27 outbound and 11/8 return. I cannot find Z inventory through ICN or NRT for those dates or 10/28 and 11/9. Is it the case that I am a bit too early this time?

In any event, I have set numerous EF alerts and we'll see what opens up first. I was also sorry to see the airfare bump up from when I last checked. I would be willing to deal with the lack of interlining luggage if I could get a 747 in/out of NRT.
Old Dec 22, 12, 10:19 am
Original Poster

I still cannot find Z inventory on anything USA (DTW/ATL/MSP/PDX/LAX) to NRT or ICN that are on or near my travel dates (first choice 10/27-11/8).

I really don't want to play the waiting game because I need to purchase this ticket by the end of the year. If I go ahead and lock into a BE ticket, I am putting out a record $5.5K - $6.2K for airfare and would have to pay a $400 penalty to make any kind of change.

Am I missing something obvious here? I don't want to waitlist on an M fare as even those fares are $5K.

Edited to add MSP to the list.

Last edited by Xeno; Dec 22, 12 at 2:40 pm
Old Dec 22, 12, 12:08 pm

I still cannot find Z inventory on anything USA (DTW/ATL/PDX/LAX) to NRT or ICN that are on or near my travel dates (first choice 10/27-11/8).

I really don't want to play the waiting game because I need to purchase this ticket by the end of the year. If I go ahead and lock into a BE ticket, I am putting out a record $5.5K - $6.2K for airfare and would have to pay a $400 penalty to make any kind of change.

Am I missing something obvious here? I don't want to waitlist on an M fare as even those fares are $5K.
Try flying LAX-CAN on CZ, and if you're trying to fly between KUL and ICN, try MH. Even VN, CZ, MU, and CI could be useful options. Another trick would be to fly from Asian gateway into CGK - then route with KL into KUL.

PM me, I might be able to help.

I just booked 2 tickets for my parents SIN-ICN-DTW-BNA-MSP-LAX-CAN-SIN in BE/First for my parents for this coming May.
Old Dec 22, 12, 12:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I still cannot find Z inventory on anything USA (DTW/ATL/PDX/LAX) to NRT or ICN that are on or near my travel dates (first choice 10/27-11/8).

As I see it, doing the M+ fare with SWU route is risky if you think DL might eliminate a route as in this case they will probably rebook you in coach on a partner flight. It might be worth taking the I (or S if you can find one) fare to be more assured of keeping yourself in business class when schedules change or something otherwise goes wrong.

I assume that you do not want to use miles and make this an award ticket. I also assume that there's a reason to purchase this so early, probably to take it from this year's budget and get the remaining funds down.
Old Dec 22, 12, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

MSP, among the factors pushing me now are these:

1. CFO attitude is use or lose money in my budget
2. The M fares on my route have gone up in the short time I could start checking my particular dates
3. The lowest airfare is an S for $5.5 to NRT but it requires going 2 days early plus getting a separate ticket to PUS.
4. I would buy the S today to lock in a route were it not for that $400 change fee.

I can't even price a BE ticket to PUS on the DL web so I called and was told KE has discontinued their flights ICN-PUS. This is not the case because they show up when I search for M fares. But most of what I get on DL web searching M fares to PUS are flights that require flying KE on the long flights.

BTW, I should have included MSP-NRT in the list of USA hubs that have no Z in or around my days of travel.
Old Dec 22, 12, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by currentjer View Post
Try flying LAX-CAN on CZ, and if you're trying to fly between KUL and ICN, try MH. Even VN, CZ, MU, and CI could be useful options. Another trick would be to fly from Asian gateway into CGK - then route with KL into KUL.

PM me, I might be able to help.

I just booked 2 tickets for my parents SIN-ICN-DTW-BNA-MSP-LAX-CAN-SIN in BE/First for my parents for this coming May.
Sorry friend, but I already bought a ticket for KUL and at the moment am trying to make it to PUS. Did I misread your post?
Old Dec 22, 12, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

I tried booking an award ticket just to see connections. The miles are not bad (120K up to 182K) and the connections are PEK and PVG. Unfortunately, I cannot get the DL web to imitate the entire itinerary for M and it doesn't matter any way as there is no Z at either city coming and going checking 2 days outside my first choice. (I think BE would be at least $8K).

I have not checked HND, KIX or FUK which I saw mentioned in a closed thread (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...n-fukuoka.html) that had some good information but am frustrated that I could good a decent award ticket but no Z for an M fare that costs $4.6 - $5K.

I also ran into tickets that required changing ICN to GMP but I have never done this and again no Z and I cannot get the DL web to price such a ticket the BE version for me.
Old Dec 22, 12, 5:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Can you spend a few days in Seoul? If so, just fly into ICN and take the train to Pusan. It's fairly pleasant and you get to see a bit of the Korean countryside, although don't expect a beautiful scenic ride. IIRC it's about three or four hours with several stops. Trains aren't fancy but are clean and on time. However, I don't think I'd want to do the ICN to train and especially train to ICN on the same day as a long flight.
Old Dec 22, 12, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for reminding me about the trains. BE to NRT is running at $5.5 and BE to ICN is going at $6K.

I cannot find KE award travel NRT or ICN to PUS for my dates. Expedia gives me $600 for a tight connection at NRT on to PUS.

I thought I found a solution although arrival is one day later than what I really need. I can get OKC-NRT S for $4,693 (10/27-29 then 11/8). But then I have to add $600 since no KE award available for 10/29-1/8. (The ST web shows me KE flights that I can't even find on the KE web.)

At the moment I am wondering about locking in the $4.6K M fare that keeps me on a single ticket through ICN and on to PUS. The problem is I would be waitlisted. So that means putting up $250 if Z doesn't come through in time (DTW-ICN-DTW) and I have to upgrade the fare (as DL has never waived the change fee for me in this scenario).

In the meantime, at least the M fares keep going up and I think also S and certainly all are restrictive. I have been checking 3 days flex coming and going and the only Z I saw was 11/11 going back through SEA.

I am going to a global conference but I think we are only maybe 5,000 people. I wonder if there are contracts in place with the Geneva office that are choking me?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: