Old Dec 23, 2012, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Deleted

Last edited by Xeno; Dec 23, 2012 at 9:23 am
Old Dec 23, 2012, 9:40 am
Original Poster

EF earned it keep this morning by alerting me to Z for DTW-ICN. This was one day later than my first choice, but I am making that up by adding two days and now have confirmed Z for ICN-DTW (as part of the OKC-PUS ticket). These changes also saved me $400!
Old Dec 23, 2012, 9:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Very good.
Old May 4, 2013, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

I lost my PUS tickets this morning first because the DTW-ICN-DTW flights made major schedule changes then second because there is no direct flight now for KE ICN-PUS.

So I am on the phone taking DL in/out NRT and a KE award NRT-PUS. Was there another way to get at this? I don't regret the points so much, but DL said they were not co-chair on the KE flights I needed in/out of PUS.
Old May 4, 2013, 2:24 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Xeno
I lost my PUS tickets this morning first because the DTW-ICN-DTW flights made major schedule changes then second because there is no direct flight now for KE ICN-PUS.

So I am on the phone taking DL in/out NRT and a KE award NRT-PUS. Was there another way to get at this? I don't regret the points so much, but DL said they were not co-chair on the KE flights I needed in/out of PUS.
This and the loss of the ICN-NRT and VV DL flights is making me wonder what DL plans as its strategy in South Korea.
Old May 4, 2013, 2:43 pm

Wow, looks like DTW-ICN is changing to a 747 from August 20th. Flight will depart slightly later for a 6:30pm arrival in Seoul and a 12:30pm departure from ICN to DTW.

Xeno, have you considered taking the A'REX to Gimpo from Incheon and flying to Busan from there? It's only a 30 minute ride and the transfer is very straightforward, even with bags.
Old May 4, 2013, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

richard, thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I carry a lot of luggage and it is heavy as I dress in suits and change often. This trip goes for 2 weeks and coming back through NRT could also help me connect with a friend so I'll keep what I have for now.

If my original ticket had stayed in place, it would have been nice to have the 747 DTW-ICN-DTW, but this schedule change also ruined my August ticket into KUL so now I am taking ATL-NRT-SIN and a shuttle over to KUL. So at least I now get 6 747s on my Asia trips that remain in 2013.
Old May 4, 2013, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Wow the DTW-ICN moves to 6:30pm arrival? Thats crappy... too late to catch a lot of other flights now.
Old May 4, 2013, 9:49 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by ricardobtg
Wow, looks like DTW-ICN is changing to a 747 from August 20th. Flight will depart slightly later for a 6:30pm arrival in Seoul and a 12:30pm departure from ICN to DTW.

Xeno, have you considered taking the A'REX to Gimpo from Incheon and flying to Busan from there? It's only a 30 minute ride and the transfer is very straightforward, even with bags.
Where is the 744 coming from? I didn't think there was any slack in the fleet, and as of when DTW-ICN changes to 744, I'm still seeing it on NRT-JFK-TLV, ATL-NRT, DTW-NRT, SEA-NRT, and HNL-NRT (2x daily). Of course, this could be one of DL's infamous half-loaded schedule changes that we'll see the final results of tomorrow. And then what's up with parking the plane at ICN for 18 hours?
Old May 4, 2013, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by mtkeller
Where is the 744 coming from? And then what's up with parking the plane at ICN for 18 hours?
I guess to upgrade this route to 747, DL has to align with other 747 routes for efficient utilization and easier fix for irrops. All 3 747 flights (NRT, NGO, and new ICN) arrive at the same time, and leave altogether.

I love current schedule: early arrival into Seoul and late departure out of Seoul. With the new schedule, I anyhow have to take early morning flight to DTW and have a lengthy layover at DTW.
Old May 5, 2013, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by mtkeller
And then what's up with parking the plane at ICN for 18 hours?
The schedule reminds me of what UA used to have for its SFO-ICN-SFO flight. A 6pm Korea arrival and a noon return to the states. When they switched to a 747 though they changed to something similar to DL's current DTW-ICN-DTW flight.

Perhaps they're planning on doing some maintenance at ICN? 18 hours is a long time to have a plane on the ground at a foreign base.

I was under the impression that there was some slack in the 747 fleet though, and it could have more slack in the future since they were planning reductions in beach market flying (Japan-Hawaii) due to the weaker yen.

Originally Posted by bobbybrown
I love current schedule: early arrival into Seoul and late departure out of Seoul. With the new schedule, I anyhow have to take early morning flight to DTW and have a lengthy layover at DTW.
I like the current schedule as well, not to mention that a lot of very useful KE connections that were once possible with the earlier arrival are now impossible. I guess this means that the flight is working well enough for DL without the need for connections.

I hope SEA-ICN comes along sooner rather than later.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ricardobtg

Through a series of events, I am at a point that your suggestion is now of interest. My problem is that the DTW flight does not reach ICN until 6:30 pm and the last flight from GMP to PUS is 8:10 pm.

The return flight is no problem, but surely I would not catch the KE GMP-BUS flight (10/29/13) unless we landed an hour early.

Of course it is even worse trying to use KE to go from ICN to PUS via FUK/CJU/KIX.

(I am currently holding paid DL to NRT then award KE NRT-PUS-NRT.)
Old Jun 23, 2013, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yup, DL basically hosed any connections out of ICN with the later arrival now.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by rylan
Yup, DL basically hosed any connections out of ICN with the later arrival now.
Earlier DL stopped the ICN-NRT route. They must be confident of filling planes to ICN with passengers who don't need to connect further.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
PUS might be faster to clear Korean customs if it helps.
(Then again, I have an APEC card and the foreigner line seemed very short, less than 20 minutes, for a peak time after all the redeyes in ICN, observation made 19 Apr 2012.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.