Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How to buy an upgrade (w/ skymiles) at the airport? IAD-AMS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:15 am
Original Poster

I am GM flying IAD-AMS. Delta flight operated by KLM. I have an M fare in Y, which makes me eligible for a Skymiles upgrade to business. I called the Delta hotline and asked to use my SM for an upgrade, but they said business was completely sold out and that they do not maintain a wait list because it is a KLM flight. I don't want to give up hope yet, so I'd like to try to acquire an upgrade at the airport. I've never done this before. So, a few questions:

1) It's within 24 hours of departure. Should I check-in online now and ask for an upgrade when I get to the airport? Or should I wait until I arrive at the airport and speak to the agent first before I check-in?

2) Who should I talk to about the upgrade? The ticketing agent (curbside) or the gate agent immediately prior to boarding?

3) Should I talk to a Delta agent or KLM agent? Would the KLM agent be able to access my skymiles for the purchase?

3) Do you have any tips for me that may help my chances of an upgrade?

Thanks,
SG

Last edited by Statguy; Nov 9, 2012 at 12:26 am
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-skymiles.html

Since it's KLM operated, just ask KLM agent at check in. If there's seats they may allow you to UG for a fee plus miles.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 5:24 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
KLM also regularly offers purchased upgrades at check-in, sometimes even in the range of €300 or less. Might be another option if it isn't possible with miles.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Since its a KLM flight, you have to work with KLM. If it was DL operated then I'd say no chance unless there is Z upgrade space available.

However, if there are open seats (which the agent said there aren't... but who knows) then KLM usually allows upgrades. Has to be done by the TA I believe. Not sure if a GA can do it.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 5:38 am
c_d

Programs: Feels like FO (AA EXP)
Cash upgrades:
  • KLM OLCI
  • KLM check-in kiosk
  • KLM AMS Ticketing Office (T-30/T-24)
  • KLM Crown Room Lounge
  • on-board

Mile upgrades outside of AMS are rather theoretical. You need someone (DL) to reissue your ticket and there have been reports on not always being able to do that within T-24 for miles.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 7:22 am

Programs: DL DM, 1MM, Marriott Plat, SPG gold, Hilton Gold,Avis PS
I have done same day upgrades with KLM FROM AMS, JFK, CPT, and WAW.

Just ask them at check in, or go over to a transfer desk in AMS. They can process it there very quickly.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 7:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
For KLM, it might be easier to upgrade with cash than with DL miles.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 8:11 am

Programs: DL GM
I assume that your flight is today and, for what its worth, Expert Flyer shows today's IAD-AMS flight as J1 Y0. Thus, there is only one business class seat currently available.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:12 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Statguy - are you on today's flight? Look for me -- short, glasses, FT tag on my bag. I can guest you into AF Salon if you require.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by longtimelurker
I assume that your flight is today and, for what its worth, Expert Flyer shows today's IAD-AMS flight as J1 Y0. Thus, there is only one business class seat currently available.
This looks like there could be an OPUP or two and perhaps some VDBs.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:16 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Attn KLM: I'm open to either. Final is CDG.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
Attn KLM: I'm open to either. Final is CDG.
And bingo -- they were pretty desperate for vols to take AF. So I'm on AF, upgraded to premium voyageur, and I arrive earlier. Plus a nice $600 voucher. Interestingly, its a DL voucher, valid DL/AF/KL. Works for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.