Search

China Adoption

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Hhonors DM, SPG Plat, National EE
China Adoption

Need a little help here....

So, I rarely fly international but a ton domestic and have been banking my miles for a few years as a DM. We are going to adopt a special needs little girl from China in the next 6 months. In that we are not sure what the need that she has may be, we were banking on our not using miles for the last several years would allow us to go Business to make it easier on her.

I was hoping that with 600k miles I would be able to go business from ATL to at least HKG for 3 people, but looking at the award charts on every day for the next 9 months it is always a "medium price award." How is this possible? How can there never be a low price award for business? Am I looking at this wrong and does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance...

Last edited by aslanlab; Jan 22, 2013 at 4:01 pm
Old Nov 5, 2012, 1:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH gold
First of all, congratulations on adopting a little girl!

Assuming that you are flying from the US, I would try looking at availability on Korean Air (KE) to HKG/CAN, or China Southern (CZ) to CAN. Partner awards are always at the 'low' levels, when available, so I would call Delta with a range of dates in mind and try to book an award on a partner for at least the TPAC segments.

The Pearl River Delta is served by a lot of Skyteam airlines, so somebody should have availability around your dates.

Korean Air flies to LAX/JFK/ATL, each of which should be fairly convenient to you, and I like their service in J.

BHM-ATL-LAX-CAN (TPAC on CZ)
BHM-ATL-ICN-CAN (TPAC on KE)

Last edited by Zomba; Nov 5, 2012 at 1:38 am
Old Nov 5, 2012, 1:25 am

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
CONGRATULATIONS!

That said, I don't believe there is a guarantee of low-level award availability on every route.

Is HKG your actual destination or was it just an example?

I find ATL-PVG Biz/FC in February no problems 120K RT. Would Shanghai do?
Old Nov 5, 2012, 3:10 am

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
you are generous and brave to adopt a girl with problems that aren't even defined to you yet.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 3:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Aren't adoptions from China subject to lots of last-minute changes of plans? For example, you don't know when you'll be able to get documents to bring the child home and IIRC I think sometimes politics changes how willing the government is to permit foreign adoptions and how easy it is. This would make it difficult to travel on award tickets, although I know it can be done.

Assuming that you're planning to get an award ticket for the child, you will pay full RT miles for that one-way trip and the child will be on a separate PNR. The alternative of going as a lap infant might not work easily for a special needs child and will cost 10% of a BE fare plus all fees, so this will not be cheap.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 3:53 am

Programs: DL DM, AA Platinum (Life), Emirates Gold,GHA Black
China Air SFO/TPE. Lots of flights from there
Old Nov 5, 2012, 3:56 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by 122554
China Air SFO/TPE. Lots of flights from there
On the return, are there legal issues associated with entering Taiwan with a Chinese-born baby who might retain Chinese citizenship (maybe to age 18 or so)? Or even leaving China for Taiwan with a newly-adopted Chinese baby?
Old Nov 5, 2012, 4:23 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
FC is often easier than BC, and only 12,500 more miles. May has openings on AA trade the miles.

Last edited by RSSrsvp; Nov 5, 2012 at 6:24 am Reason: Deleted off topic remarks
Old Nov 5, 2012, 4:47 am

OP has DL miles that cannot be used for IFC award tickets. Some IFC cabins with individual suites would make it difficult to care for a child. With 46 posts, OP has no access to CC.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 4:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH gold
Originally Posted by satman40
FC is often easier than BC, and only 12,500 more miles. May has openings on AA trade the miles.
No IFC redemptions on SkyTeam partners, unfortunately.

I suspect that the OP will be staying in CAN (likely on Shamian island with a bunch of other adoptive parents). Flying in/out of HKG is also feasible, as the through train is convenient if you take an extra day in HK. The CZ 380 from LAX or KE would be my preferences if I was taking the trip, but that is certainly a decision to be made by the OP. Avoiding domestic Chinese legs should be a priority if you prefer convenient transfers, though (unless you speak Mandarin).
Old Nov 5, 2012, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Zomba
No IFC redemptions on SkyTeam partners, unfortunately.

I suspect that the OP will be staying in CAN (likely on Shamian island with a bunch of other adoptive parents). Flying in/out of HKG is also feasible, as the through train is convenient if you take an extra day in HK. The CZ 380 from LAX or KE would be my preferences if I was taking the trip, but that is certainly a decision to be made by the OP. Avoiding domestic Chinese legs should be a priority if you prefer convenient transfers, though (unless you speak Mandarin).
IME the domestic CZ flights are fine and I don't speak a word of Chinese. Doing them with a special needs young child, of course, makes the situation different.

IMO the CZ LAX-CAN nonstop would be the most convenient option, although it does require doing immigration and customs at LAX upon the return and then switching from TBIT to DL's T5/6.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 8:45 am

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
Also look at options using China Eastern (MU) - you need to fly through JFK or LAX, but low awards seem to have better availability.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 9:03 am

NW used to offer adoption fares (but not in business I think) - why not call Delta and check options - also indicate you have miles for an award/upgrade. I would assume there some agents will go the extra mile for you.

I also suggest starting looking for 2 seats and adding a third later if/when available.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Hhonors DM, SPG Plat, National EE
I cannot thank you all enough for your help. The process is tough enough without some help from you pro's.

What does CC stand for?
Old Nov 5, 2012, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by aslanlab
I cannot thank you all enough for your help. The process is tough enough without some help from you pro's.

What does CC stand for?
Coupon Connection, one of the boards here where members trade certificates and other items.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.