Community
Wiki Posts
Search

protecting seat changes?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2012, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta 1MM, Delta SM, United Silver, Amx Plat, Delta Amx Plat, Six-T Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
protecting seat changes?

I know if there's an answer to this, FT folks will have it. so I've had THREE red-eye flights in the past week. on ALL THREE, I checked and confirmed my window seat the day before the red-eye portion and my seats were intact. on all three when I checked in at the airport kisok, I had been mysteriosuly changed to a middle seat. Not happy since I really planned on sleeping. In each case it was due to an equipment change (red coat explained this to me today/last night). So i understand that DL reserves the right to change equipment on any route at any time but my only "beef" is that it seems like they'd know this - in most cases - more than 24 hours in advance and hence it would let the traveler choose different seats. so my ? is can I do anything in the future, particualrly when taking red -eyes, so that automatic seat changes don't end up in a middle seat? I think it's fruitless to make this "Delta's issue" and expect them to do anythiung but is there anything I can do to be proactive? Thnx.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 2:54 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Not much you can do except avoid seats that don't exists on other configs. The 757s are awful for this with 8 configurations.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 3:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Unfortunately when there's an aircraft change, the software is set up to preserve the most seats for the most people. It doesn't wipe out assignments, notify pax and let people start re-selecting (a free-for all which would also be a nightmare).

Not much you can really do other than look at all configs. and figure out if there are specific seats which never change.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
If you OLCI earlier, you at least have more time to find a better seat.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by MSPNWAflyer
Not much you can do except avoid seats that don't exists on other configs. The 757s are awful for this with 8 configurations.
I applaud your pragmatism in this.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
theory doesn't always translate to reality ... they switched 757s on me a couple weeks ago, had booked 22F in EC and wound up with 29F behind the aft overwing exit (at least it was still a window on the redeye!)
Old Nov 12, 2012, 5:46 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond
Had this happen to me a few flights in a row. Happened to catch it once, had to call Delta to have them un-check me in to change seats. Only way to catch it is to happen to look at you seat assignment after OLCI.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 6:25 pm

Programs: Delta Silver; 0.75MM: AA; Alaska; Southwest
On a slightly different situation. Had chosen a window seat in the exit row for ATL-UIO. I was "upgraded" to EC. But I wanted the exit row window not an EC window. Could I have done anything to keep my exit row seat? I didn't know I had been given EC until the GA scanned my OLCI boarding pass and gave me a new one. I'm concerened it will also happen on the return and want to prevent it if I can. THX.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 7:04 pm

It may help to be sure your delta profile has your seat preference set to window. Maybe?
Old Nov 12, 2012, 7:34 pm
c_d

Programs: Feels like FO (AA EXP)
Originally Posted by Often1
Not much you can really do other than look at all configs. and figure out if there are specific seats which never change.
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I applaud your pragmatism in this.
Unfortunately this pragmatism doesn't really work. Was settled for 10H on an A332 that changed to an A333. Naturally the SWU didn't clear on a B fare. Naturally, the seat was changed although it is existent in both configs. Of course the equipment was changed T-24 after check-in and not even DLAssist was able to help because I was reissued on a 074 stock.

Interestingly, a couple on miles occupied 10H and 10J. In summary, status won't help, high fare won't help, seat similarity in both config won't help.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 7:39 pm

Programs: Delta Silver; 0.75MM: AA; Alaska; Southwest
Originally Posted by goingnow
It may help to be sure your delta profile has your seat preference set to window. Maybe?
My seat preference is actually set to aisle but on this particular flight I wanted the exit row with the extra legroom (no seat in front of me) and the window to sleep. Got the EC window but not the extra legroom.
So does anyone know how to prevent a seat change to "economy comfort" if you don't want to change?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.