Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Tacking on a VA segment to New Zealand allowed after SYD?

Tacking on a VA segment to New Zealand allowed after SYD?

Old Nov 24, 2013, 7:05 pm

Premium economy on trans-Tasman flights

Originally Posted by mtkeller
I don't think we've had any success stories of anyone booking P instead of X since the Sabre transition. I was auto-rebooked from Z to P.
mtkeller, do you remember how long it took for you to be auto-rebooked after you ticketed your award?

I should be booking a business class award to NZ next week, and I'm very curious about getting into premium economy on the trans-Tasman legs. It seems like both mtkeller and Bikeguy had good outcomes, but it's unclear to me if getting put into premium economy for the trans-Tasman legs (on an otherwise business class itinerary) is a given.

Has anyone tried calling Virgin Australia to get moved into premium economy on the trans-Tasman legs (after booking an otherwise business class award to NZ with Skymiles)?

Many thanks.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold , National Emerald Exec, Hertz Presidents, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by erv187
mtkeller, do you remember how long it took for you to be auto-rebooked after you ticketed your award?

I should be booking a business class award to NZ next week, and I'm very curious about getting into premium economy on the trans-Tasman legs. It seems like both mtkeller and Bikeguy had good outcomes, but it's unclear to me if getting put into premium economy for the trans-Tasman legs (on an otherwise business class itinerary) is a given.

Has anyone tried calling Virgin Australia to get moved into premium economy on the trans-Tasman legs (after booking an otherwise business class award to NZ with Skymiles)?

Many thanks.
I only got UGed at the airport. Tried beforehand but only could secure seats in Y. So, you'll want to not use any boarding pass you print out before the flight and make sure you stop by the check in desk. Both times my wife and I flew, we were the only two people seated in the section that held 12.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by Bikeguy
I only got UGed at the airport. Tried beforehand but only could secure seats in Y. So, you'll want to not use any boarding pass you print out before the flight and make sure you stop by the check in desk. Both times my wife and I flew, we were the only two people seated in the section that held 12.
Thanks for the insight, Bikeguy.

When you called beforehand to try and get P seats, what did the Virgin Australia representative give as an explanation for why you couldn't?
Did they not allow it simply because you were booked in X? Or did it have to do with the fact that you had booked using partner miles (Skymiles)? Or some other reason?
Old Nov 25, 2013, 3:14 am

When you called beforehand to try and get P seats, what did the Virgin Australia representative give as an explanation for why you couldn't?
Did they not allow it simply because you were booked in X? Or did it have to do with the fact that you had booked using partner miles (Skymiles)? Or some other reason?
Don't discount getting someone at Delta to help you.

After the computer conversion in early 2013 when VS blew up our trip and did not re-book our Aus<->NZ flights, I went back to Delta and a very helpful CSR supervisor got the whole trip rebooked and re-issued by VS. On this VS was aggressively unhelpful.

That said, there ain't much to seperate coach and premium economy on those flights. A middle seat left empty was about it. The food was at United lasagna levels (despite much better food on transpac on VS), though maybe prem econ got food when others didn't.

No lounge before VS trans taz flight from Syd as VS used a terminal where they have no lounge or access. Very nice lounge in Christchurch on way back.

Last edited by Mountain Trader; Nov 25, 2013 at 6:01 am
Old Nov 25, 2013, 5:46 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else

Many thanks.
My experience is really no longer applicable. I was ticketed into Z while VA/DJ was still marketing the forward cabin on trans-Tasman flights as business. When they did the Sabre transition in January, VA rebooked trans-Tasman flights ticketed in Z into P, and DL subsequently reissued the ticket just like they would if there were a simple schedule change in a partner flight. For a new booking, I would expect that you're kind of stuck. As has been said, PE on these flights is really nothing special. I wrote up my flight in my seemingly abandoned TR if you want to have a look. (BTW, I have not abandoned that TR. I expect to finish it while on JFK-HKG in CX F departing today.)
Old Nov 25, 2013, 7:04 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by mtkeller
(BTW, I have not abandoned that TR. I expect to finish it while on JFK-HKG in CX F departing today.)
Well, it's about dog-gone time!

David
Old Nov 25, 2013, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold , National Emerald Exec, Hertz Presidents, Delta Gold

I seem to remember someone telling me all their system would allow is the seats we were originally assigned, which was like row 11.

As stated, it's no big deal and we had the first two rows to ourselves both ways, so I don't think waiting until you are at the airport to get seats is a negative.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 2:20 pm

I had no luck this week getting my Delta business class award upgraded at the airport for the SYD-ZQN segment. I did give it my best try and the ticketing agent did humor me and walk over to their service desk to attempt an upgrade. The reply from the service desk was that I needed to contact Delta for such a request, which I already knew was impossible for them to see the Premium Economy for an award.

I agree with most of the others that this first two rows of PE was rather unremarkable and probably the same seat anyhow, but they would have provided a blocked middle seat, drinks/meal and an entertainment device.

For those who are traveling coach, the entertainment is free through your own wifi enabled device (not Internet, just inflight wifi service). You'll need to make sure you download the Virgin Australia Red entertainment app from the Google or Apple store before taking off. Purchased food and drinks are offered off their inflight menu. Even sodas are for purchase at $4NZD per can. Landing in Queenstown you'll soon forget your coach worries once you see the gorgeous Remarkable Mountains (unless of course like our flight they told us on landing they off-loaded 60 bags due to weight restrictions! Fortunately, none of them ours).

Will try once again next week to sweet talk my way into the PE seats for the CHC-BNE return segment. I don't give up easily.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by TrAAveller

Will try once again next week to sweet talk my way into the PE seats for the CHC-BNE return segment. I don't give up easily.
Thanks for the data point, and for the heads up about the entertainment app.

Looking forward to hear the results of your attempt for the CHC-BNE segment.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 2:49 pm

For our return segment from NZ today, I struck luck finally. At CHC-BNE checkin, I got the usual rejection for Premium Economy as I was booked in Coach despite my same-day continuation from BNE-LAX in Business (X Class) on my Delta SkyMiles business class award. Upon further requests, the checkin agent asked the adjacent Sales Desk guy how much I could pay for the upgrade. Fortunately, the Sales Desk was within arm's length and I was able to talk directly to its agent to politely explain that I was booked on a Delta SkyMiles award in X business class but there was no longer business class offered on this Trans-Tasman flight. After a few moments, the sales desk agent was able to finagle the ticket and seat us in Premium Economy. I honestly didn’t think I had a chance at it going through. Sometimes, I surprise myself. Having flown SYD-ZQN in coach I can provide some differences between the two cabins.

While it's only called Premium Economy the service is much more than the typical domestic US first class. The first two rows are PE and have the middle seat blocked and arm rests wrenched so each seat has an additional 2-3 inches in width for comfort.

Unlike the coach seats, PE seats provide plastic-wrapped pillows and blankets, which are provided at each seat. We were the only two seated of the 8 PE seats. Upon arrival to our seats, the FA had prepared the middle tray with a pair of bottled waters, earplugs in zippered cases, newspapers, landing cards, customers & immigration Express pass cards and a menu.

After we sat, the purser kindly introduced herself to us and encouraged us to use the call-button throughout the flight should we need any drinks, food or service. We were able to order any of the items off the inflight menu which includes any of the premium drinks, soft drinks, sandwiches, chips and other assortments. The FA even brought a full tray of the menu items and encouraged us to choose as many as we would like.

In addition to the menu items, PE is also catered with a warm meal. On our 6am departure, we received an option of a meat or vegetarian entree. I ordered the steamed potatoes, scrambled eggs, sausage, muffin, and fresh fruit platter.

Shortly after takeoff, the portable digEplayers are provided that are loaded with TV, Movies, and programs (all free of charge). Additional benefits of the front cabin is the easy access to the front lavatory (not limited to PE seats) but still nice to not be blocked in by the aisle carts and being first off the plane for our onward connection. A much more pleasant experience for our 3+ hour flight.

The real icing for the PE seats, is the access to the Air New Zealand Koru Lounge in Christchurch which is surprisingly well-appointed and smartly designed.

Lots of open space even during the early morning rush of flights. Open bar and beverage center allows self-service, including an espresso machine for an assortment of barrista-style beverages. The lounge includes several internet computers in cubicles, a copier, two showers (with towels and amenities), and in-lounge restrooms. In the center is a large breakfast buffet spread with a few warm items as well.

Had we not been upgraded to PE for this segment we would not have been allowed to access this lounge despite having an onward same-day VA business class ticket BNE-LAX (I otherwise have no status with VA, DL or NZ). This is mostly why I was so persistent at checkin for the PE upgrade.

So, there you have it. My luck was 50/50. Never hurts to ask. Not that coach was that bad, it just has a lot more perks if you can politely convince the sales desk to honor your forward cabin seats. Thanks to you guys for your advice on this thread to give me a little extra push to try asking and asking and asking...
Old Dec 3, 2013, 3:13 pm

TrAAveler,

Thanks for the detailed report on your PE upgrade. Sounds like PE is significantly nicer than economy. Now I know that the sales desk agents are the right people to ask!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.