Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Wrong seat, wrong flight, wrong destination

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wrong seat, wrong flight, wrong destination

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:41 pm

Programs: aa lifetime platinum
this has nearly happened to me , just once, forty years ago, at atl -delta almost took me to cvg instead of dca. no IT systems back then of course, delta actually depended on its people . remember the commercials anyone?
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:51 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
I can just imagine the blame going back & fourth.
Originally Posted by justhere
I bet they blame each other about 4 times! sorry couldn't resist
I don't think anyone else got it!
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ashill
Well, in that case, the GA typing in the seat assignment manually would not have produced an OK to board note. Obviously not excusing the GA.

+1

That's particularly impressive given that I don't think AA flew DCA-IAH in 2005 (if they ever did), which would mean this passenger was not only on the wrong flight but on the wrong airline!
Let's not forget the famous example of people thinking they were boarding a flight to Oakland (CA) and ending up in Ackland, NZ.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 2:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Let's not forget the famous example of people thinking they were boarding a flight to Oakland (CA) and ending up in Ackland, NZ.
And, of course: MHT/MAN (Manchester); PDX/PWM (Portland)
Old Oct 30, 2012, 7:16 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Zomba
And, of course: MHT/MAN (Manchester); PDX/PWM (Portland)
Or Rochester, MN vs NY
Old Oct 30, 2012, 9:28 am

and Panama City FL vs Panama City Panama.

Years ago, back when the gate agents manually inserted destination cards in slats, Eastern had lots of problems with passengers confusing those destinations
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:19 am

I could envision someone confusing San Jose CA with San Juan PR. They're both destinations that start with San J something. And isn't there another San Juan in Central America?
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:11 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
I could envision someone confusing San Jose CA with San Juan PR. They're both destinations that start with San J something. And isn't there another San Juan in Central America?
Not sure about San Juan, but there is a San Jose, Costa Rica.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:13 pm

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program
However, airport monitors tend to list the flights together as Washington-Dulles and Washington-Reagon, so it's a bit hard to not be aware that there are several DC area airports. I still call DCA National rather than Reagon, so that might be a source of confusion.
Better stick with "National" because it definitely isn't "Reagon."
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:16 pm

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program
I was on a flight from ATL-PFN when someone commented that this plane seemed awfully small to be going to Panama City. It was an ATR-72, and he was actually traveling to PTY.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 2:50 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by DLFan2
Better stick with "National" because it definitely isn't "Reagon."
LOL. That was my thought when I first read the post
Old Oct 30, 2012, 7:42 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
Every so often an FA will make the announcement before the door closes that this plane is going to (name of city) and to make sure that's your actual destination. I suppose they make these ad hoc announcements based on their own past experiences such as the ones described in this thread. Haven't seen anyone realize they were on the wrong flights after hearing these announcements, but guess it happens from time to time!
Old Oct 30, 2012, 8:00 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
I was sitting on a plane a few weeks ago headed to IAD. I could feel the plane start to descend and took my headphones off just in time to hear we were about to land at DTW. What? That's not where I was supposed to be going! With my headphones on I missed the earlier announcement that we were being diverted for some maintenance. We eventually did make it to IAD.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by jjdub86
Every so often an FA will make the announcement before the door closes that this plane is going to (name of city) and to make sure that's your actual destination. I suppose they make these ad hoc announcements based on their own past experiences such as the ones described in this thread. Haven't seen anyone realize they were on the wrong flights after hearing these announcements, but guess it happens from time to time!
If I'm especially jet lagged/exhausted or if it's an early morning flight, I always verify the destination with FAs as I board and settle in. Sometimes they laugh, but I could envision not being very awake and getting onto the wrong plane. It's scary when there's no jetway, but gates like the 54A and 54B numbering at LAX scare me too.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by fti
LOL. That was my thought when I first read the post
Isn't it RayGun....remember 1984 and SDI?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.