Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

***NEW***Baggage rules January 2013 — Postponed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

***NEW***Baggage rules January 2013 — Postponed

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2012, 7:51 pm

Programs: Delta DM
I'm really surprised this is only being officially acknowledged as policy now.

For the past several years my request to check luggage through to final destinations have been consistently declined.

These have all been outbound from St. Louis.

Examples are:

STL-Dubai, with separate ticket from Dubai to Beirut on Middle East Airlines; FT

STL-Nairobi, with separate ticket to Addis Ababa on Ethiopian;

Dubai was a severe PITA
Old Oct 25, 2012, 8:16 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG
What?

In Feb, I need to do CMH-LIH and KOA-CMH. Was looking for an award ticket but couldn't do the Hawaii part on Delta. Just this week I booked an award on Delta roundtrip CMH-HNL. The Delta agent told me this week I could book a separate ticket on HA but have my bags checked all the way through.

If I understand this new policy, as of Jan 1, this won't be possible?
Old Oct 25, 2012, 8:23 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Even though I don't check bags, this is a truly shameful decision.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 8:35 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by jackplum
Isn't this a DOT reg that DL must follow? If so, those who decide not to fly DL because of the rule will still be faced with it on any other US airline.
Could someone post a link (or more detail on) the DoT regulation in question here? Inquiring minds want to know.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 8:36 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, DL Diamond 2MM, PriorityPass, Hilton Honors Silver
Well, the $Billion must come from somewhere!
Cheers!
Old Oct 25, 2012, 8:59 pm

Programs: DL-PM, Small Luxury Hotels & Proud Member of TSA Disparager-Gold
I always check bags simply so I don't have to schlep them through security and around the airport but in this scenario I'll be packing lighter and bringing it onboard. Thanks Delta for another downgrade in service.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by RealHJ
Could someone post a link (or more detail on) the DoT regulation in question here? Inquiring minds want to know.

Basically it's about disclosing applicable baggage fees for the entire PNR at time of purchase. The DOT is taking a dim view of pax paying undisclosed bagage fees when they recheck bags later itinerary. In particular when there's an impedance mismatch between baggage allowances between airlines. The DOT is basically saying the Airline Tariff Publishing Company (ATPCO) has had the fees database since the beginning of 2012, it's time for the airlines and ticket-sellers to integrate the information into the sales process.

You can start looking at the airline's beef here and that will lead you to the various rules in question:

http://airconsumer.dot.gov/rules/Den...on%20Final.pdf

http://airconsumer.dot.gov/rules/Not...20Dec%2028.doc

Reading the rules and the guidance doesn't specifically explain why the carriers are expanding this to interlining of separate tickets. One would assume baggage fees would have been disclosed separately at time of sale and it would fall to the ticket seller (a corp TA or consolidator most likely) to comply with the rules.

At best it seems a bit punitive, worst it seems like yet another move to make people only buy directly from the airline. I think this is going to backfire on the airlines and they are going to end up with even more rules.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 9:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
As pointed out in various other threads on this board, people stay away from posting in this forum because you are all a bunch of self-loathing whiners.

How many of you on here will this actually effect? While it may effect some work travel (think I saw someone post about Venezuela, sorry my eyes glaze over when reading people's whiny posts), it can't possibly affect you every single time you fly. The majority of the complaints I saw were for one time trips (unless you visit the quaint coast of Italy or Hawaii more than twice a year).

Will it be a pain in the butt? Maybe. But think of it this way, there will be no more threads popping up here saying "Checked my bag on xxx airlines, arrived on zzz airlines. Who's responsible to getting my bag back?"
Old Oct 25, 2012, 9:51 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by aviatorzz
(think I saw someone post about Venezuela, sorry my eyes glaze over when reading people's whiny posts)
Oh, so come in here and whine a bit, why don't you?

Will it be a pain in the butt? Maybe. But think of it this way, there will be no more threads popping up here saying "Checked my bag on xxx airlines, arrived on zzz airlines. Who's responsible to getting my bag back?"
Nope, won't reduce that in any meaningful way. There will still be interlining of bags on a single ticket, so flying OMA-DL-MSP-AF-CDG-KL-AMS all as a single ticket (maybe with DL flight numbers on the AF/KL-operated bits) will allow through checking with no problem under the new rules.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
This will affect almost every single trip I make. Yes, let's let DL and others make it as difficult to transit as possible. Will we be required to load our own luggage on the plane, too?

Last month, I flew in on a late night flight from TPE. If I would have to check in luggage with the new airline, it's highly likely I would miss my connecting flight. So I'd be out a hotel, as well as lots of wasted time.

As pointed out in various other threads on this board, people stay away from posting in this forum because you are all a bunch of self-loathing whiners.

How many of you on here will this actually effect? While it may effect some work travel (think I saw someone post about Venezuela, sorry my eyes glaze over when reading people's whiny posts), it can't possibly affect you every single time you fly. The majority of the complaints I saw were for one time trips (unless you visit the quaint coast of Italy or Hawaii more than twice a year).

Old Oct 26, 2012, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Seamless travel experience indeed.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 5:08 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
This will affect almost every single trip I make. Yes, let's let DL and others make it as difficult to transit as possible. Will we be required to load our own luggage on the plane, too?

Last month, I flew in on a late night flight from TPE. If I would have to check in luggage with the new airline, it's highly likely I would miss my connecting flight. So I'd be out a hotel, as well as lots of wasted time.
You are going to be one tenth of one percent of DL travelers then provided that you are not flying skyteam the entire journey. And eventually star and one world.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by twoner32
Previously, in cases where a passenger presented more than one ticket to a Delta airport agent at the origination point, Delta would offer to check the baggage from the origin on one Delta ticket to the final destination on the second ticket, collecting both Delta’s and the other airline’s fees.
Was the bolded ever done?
Old Oct 26, 2012, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
You are going to be one tenth of one percent of DL travelers then provided that you are not flying skyteam the entire journey. And eventually star and one world.
This practice has already come to *A: US stopped in July. AC has changed policies a few times since 2006.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 6:47 am

Another "user friendly" policy. I always use (2) tickets when flying to Hawaii since DL.crap can't usually properly price a connection on HA, forcing me to buy a separate ticket on Hawaiian.

And as for those people saying HA already has this policy in place - that hasn't been the case the two trips I've taken to the islands this year. In July I flew out of LIH on HA and changed over to DL on a separate ticket and my baggage was checked all the way through. Same thing out of OGG in January.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.