Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

***NEW***Baggage rules January 2013 — Postponed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

***NEW***Baggage rules January 2013 — Postponed

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2012, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What notice of the changes has DL given to its customers? We only know about this because it was posted on FT by someone who is not a DL employee AFAIK.
At least it gives us something to act upon before it's too late.
It could also be a test to what would happen if DL did implement the change.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 6:02 pm

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
So we see cr*p like this announced a few months ago, but they insist that changes involving SkyMiles can't be announced in advance?
Old Oct 25, 2012, 6:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I just looked at the SkyTeam website and noticed that, while they talk about through check in and issueing partner boarding passes, the only mention of checking bags is the statement about elites getting free bags. Curious. I wonder whether this represents a recent change as I would have expected interlining of bags to be mentioned with the alliance check in advantages.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I just looked at the SkyTeam website and noticed that, while they talk about through check in and issueing partner boarding passes, the only mention of checking bags is the statement about elites getting free bags. Curious. I wonder whether this represents a recent change as I would have expected interlining of bags to be mentioned with the alliance check in advantages.
As it is I can check for interline on GDS
Old Oct 25, 2012, 6:25 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by Spent_All_My_Miles
So we see cr*p like this announced a few months ago, but they insist that changes involving SkyMiles can't be announced in advance?

One is a basic contract of carriage the other is a benefit. Thus the difference.

I can see the reasoning behind the change in courtesy:

1. Baggage rules/fees change as often as there are airlines.

2. It costs the airline money to handle baggage fees for another airline.

3. It costs the airlines money to schlep bags from one terminal to another. (i.e. partner airlines are typically co-located in one terminal)

4. Airlines would prefer you fly them from A->B->C rather fly two airlines and save money. So perhaps the inconvenience will be worth the extra $$.

Those are the reasons I can think of off the cuff. Complain if you want but the airlines are looking to reduce costs and increase profits.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
One is a basic contract of carriage the other is a benefit. Thus the difference.

I can see the reasoning behind the change in courtesy:

1. Baggage rules/fees change as often as there are airlines.

2. It costs the airline money to handle baggage fees for another airline.

3. It costs the airlines money to schlep bags from one terminal to another. (i.e. partner airlines are typically co-located in one terminal)

4. Airlines would prefer you fly them from A->B->C rather fly two airlines and save money. So perhaps the inconvenience will be worth the extra $$.

Those are the reasons I can think of off the cuff. Complain if you want but the airlines are looking to reduce costs and increase profits.
Inconvenient?
You have to clear security anyways at a connection.
And, for most connection points immigration is also fast.
(NRT, ICN, HKG)
The only problem I can see is that HKG arrivals and security points aren't exactly very close.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by ashill
Ridiculous. What about separate tickets but both operated by Delta? The policy makes no statement about that, but it's a situation I occasionally find myself in.
Think the key there is "second ticket is presented for travel on another airline. A strict reading would indicate that 2 DL tickets would be accommodated.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 6:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by twoner32
FOR MULTI TICKETS****

(October 25, 2012) -- Effective for travel on or after January 15, 2013, Delta Air Lines policy will be to check a passenger’s baggage between the origin and destination points that are indicated on a single or conjuncted ticket exclusively. If a second ticket is presented for travel on another airline beyond the destination of the first ticket, the passenger will be advised that Delta will only check the bag to the destination on the first ticket(s). The passenger must collect the baggage at baggage claim for their first ticketed destination, and then re-check their baggage with the down-line carrier for the next flight.

Previously, in cases where a passenger presented more than one ticket to a Delta airport agent at the origination point, Delta would offer to check the baggage from the origin on one Delta ticket to the final destination on the second ticket, collecting both Delta’s and the other airline’s fees. This was done on a courtesy basis but has never been part of an official policy.

The policy update does not apply to interline itineraries, wherein the passenger has an entire journey on one ticket. In these situations, Delta will continue to check baggage through to the ticketed destination as normal policy.

This clarification of policy helps Delta ensure that checked baggage service is consistent for all customers.

Below are examples of a single-ticket and multi-ticket scenarios.

Single ticket example:

Ticket 1 - ATL-LAX on a Delta flight connecting to another airline operating LAX-NRT.
Delta Policy: Delta will check the baggage from ATL to LAX to NRT.

Multi ticket example:

Ticket 1 – ATL-LAX on a Delta flight
Ticket 2 – LAX-NRT on a different airline
Delta Policy: Delta will check the baggage for the ATL to LAX flight only. Upon the flight’s arrival at LAX, the passenger must collect the baggage at the Delta baggage claim and then proceed to check it with the down-line carrier for the next flight LAX to NRT.
AirCanada tried this a few years ago and it became a nightmare for them and the passengers. (not 100% sure, but I think they even kept people from checking bags through on two connecting AC tickets). Imagine transiting somewhere on two tickets but requiring a Visa to pick up and recheck your luggage. Totally crazy. You should be able to link the reservations somehow in advance of your flight.

But that said, it creates a huge mess. Good to know. I won't be flying Delta, that's for certain.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 6:45 pm
Suspended

A couple times on DL I haven not found availability DL to VCE so I booked to MXP and then bought a separate ticket on AZ -- so now I will have to pick up my bags at MXP and re-check them for the VCE flight - even though DL and AZ are ST partners?
Old Oct 25, 2012, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by javabytes
Think the key there is "second ticket is presented for travel on another airline. A strict reading would indicate that 2 DL tickets would be accommodated.
This also seems to make clear it only applies to other airlines --

"Policy Clarification: Effective for travel on or after January 15, 2013, Delta Air Lines policy will be to check a passenger’s baggage between the origin and destination points that are issued on a single ticket or conjuncted ticket exclusively. If a second ticket is presented for travel on another airline beyond the destination of the first ticket, the passenger will be advised that Delta will only check the bag to the destination on the Delta ticket(s). The passenger must collect the baggage at baggage claim for their Delta ticketed destination, and then re-check their baggage with the down-line carrier for the next flight(s)."
Old Oct 25, 2012, 6:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
A couple times on DL I haven not found availability DL to VCE so I booked to MXP and then bought a separate ticket on AZ -- so now I will have to pick up my bags at MXP and re-check them for the VCE flight - even though DL and AZ are ST partners?
YES. Have fun!
Old Oct 25, 2012, 7:05 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by andymo99
This is counter to industry norm. Even if it was a "courtesy," it was always the expectation.

Hawaii could be especially affected by this.
Not thru-checking bags has been official policy at Air Canada for several years now.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 7:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by RealHJ
US DoT is just US, why should non-US airlines or even US airlines for international flights follow any such US DoT rules where US DoT has no authority?
Wrong.

The DOT rules apply to all US carriers operating anywhere in the world and to any itinerary originating or terminating in the USA, no matter where the carrier is based. Perfectly legal.

As to the problem DL & US have found and UA & AA will get around to, the DOT rule speaks about an "itinerary" not a "ticket". If DL accepts a bag on a multi-ticket "itinerary" the DOT rule provides for no more than the initial segment's bag fee for the remainder of the itinerary. But, if there are multiple tickets, there's no way for downstream carriers to know what the segment was without ranting customers insisting that the downstream carrier call DL to confirm.

This is yet another example of "be careful what you wish for." Just like the tarmac delay rules, customers wound up getting short-changed, not helped.

Since this won't be confined to DL, this will become a PITA for all US-based/destined pax within a short period of time.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 7:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by KenHamer
Not thru-checking bags has been official policy at Air Canada for several years now.
No, Ken. They stopped that nonsense a couple of years ago. They tried it for less than a year. I through check bags ALL the time.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 7:49 pm

Programs: Delta Charter KM, DM180, RW, DM, SC, SkyBonus; HH Diamond, IHG Plt Amb, Global Ent, TWIC
***NEW***Baggage rules January 2013

Isn't this a DOT reg that DL must follow? If so, those who decide not to fly DL because of the rule will still be faced with it on any other US airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.