Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

***NEW***Baggage rules January 2013 — Postponed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

***NEW***Baggage rules January 2013 — Postponed

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2012, 4:00 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by timeasterday
Your bags should be checked all the way through to ICN since they are all Sky Team.
Yes and no. They bags will be checked all the way through because the flights are on the same reservation/ticket not because they are all on SkyTeam.

If I but a Delta ticket from ATL-CGD and then and AF ticket from CDG-ATH, under this policy, I will have to re-claim my luggage in CDG and then re-check it with AF; even though both are SkyTeam.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 9:53 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG
Originally Posted by TTT
Yes and no. They bags will be checked all the way through because the flights are on the same reservation/ticket not because they are all on SkyTeam.

If I but a Delta ticket from ATL-CGD and then and AF ticket from CDG-ATH, under this policy, I will have to re-claim my luggage in CDG and then re-check it with AF; even though both are SkyTeam.
That's my understanding too.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This will bite people who do award tickets in low (including partner flights) and then purchase the domestic connections separately. For example, TPAC and formerly TATL partner flights at low are attractive but it might not be possible to find DL connecting flights to the international gateway. Hence a purchased ticket and the requirement to claim and recheck bags. Alternately, a west coast passenger could easily have an award and purchased ticket combination involving DL and AS (which isn't a SkyTeam member), again invokiing the requirements to claim and recheck bags. It starts in mid January (15th?) and previously purchased tickets do not seem to be exempt from the new rules, so that a lot of people will be caught unaware, as will those who don't understand and appreciate the concepts of a single PNR and single ticket for a single multi-carrier flight, which can be much more expensive than purchasing multiple tickets for a trip. Of course, I don't expect ticket booking websites to clearly explain the implications.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:11 am

Why do people continue making references to whether or not an airline is in SkyTeam? You should find it probative that the DL language (quoted in the first post) mentions nothing at all about SkyTeam. That is because the dispositive inquiry is not whether the segments are on a particular carrier, but rather whether they are all on the same ticket. Indeed, it is rare to have a DL ticket involving non-SkyTeam members, but tickets involving AS are one such example. If I fly DL from JFK-SEA and AS from SEA-LAX on the same ticket, my bags get checked through, despite AS not being in SkyTeam.

It's annoying, but it's not complicated...
Old Dec 6, 2012, 6:58 am
Suspended

Best In . . .

Originally Posted by twoner32
FOR MULTI TICKETS****

(October 25, 2012) -- Effective for travel on or after January 15, 2013, Delta Air Lines policy will be to check a passenger’s baggage between the origin and destination points that are indicated on a single or conjuncted ticket exclusively. If a second ticket is presented for travel on another airline beyond the destination of the first ticket, the passenger will be advised that Delta will only check the bag to the destination on the first ticket(s). The passenger must collect the baggage at baggage claim for their first ticketed destination, and then re-check their baggage with the down-line carrier for the next flight.

Previously, in cases where a passenger presented more than one ticket to a Delta airport agent at the origination point, Delta would offer to check the baggage from the origin on one Delta ticket to the final destination on the second ticket, collecting both Delta’s and the other airline’s fees. This was done on a courtesy basis but has never been part of an official policy.

The policy update does not apply to interline itineraries, wherein the passenger has an entire journey on one ticket. In these situations, Delta will continue to check baggage through to the ticketed destination as normal policy.

This clarification of policy helps Delta ensure that checked baggage service is consistent for all customers.

Below are examples of a single-ticket and multi-ticket scenarios.

Single ticket example:

Ticket 1 - ATL-LAX on a Delta flight connecting to another airline operating LAX-NRT.
Delta Policy: Delta will check the baggage from ATL to LAX to NRT.

Multi ticket example:

Ticket 1 – ATL-LAX on a Delta flight
Ticket 2 – LAX-NRT on a different airline
Delta Policy: Delta will check the baggage for the ATL to LAX flight only. Upon the flight’s arrival at LAX, the passenger must collect the baggage at the Delta baggage claim and then proceed to check it with the down-line carrier for the next flight LAX to NRT.
Best in NON-class once again.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 8:19 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This will bite people who do award tickets in low (including partner flights) and then purchase the domestic connections separately. For example, TPAC and formerly TATL partner flights at low are attractive but it might not be possible to find DL connecting flights to the international gateway. Hence a purchased ticket and the requirement to claim and recheck bags. Alternately, a west coast passenger could easily have an award and purchased ticket combination involving DL and AS (which isn't a SkyTeam member), again invokiing the requirements to claim and recheck bags. It starts in mid January (15th?) and previously purchased tickets do not seem to be exempt from the new rules, so that a lot of people will be caught unaware, as will those who don't understand and appreciate the concepts of a single PNR and single ticket for a single multi-carrier flight, which can be much more expensive than purchasing multiple tickets for a trip. Of course, I don't expect ticket booking websites to clearly explain the implications.
True. There are a few saving graces though.
. Anybody who does this likely knows what they are doing.
. They will have several hours for the connection to allow for irops
. Into the US it does not matter
. Exiting the US one has to reclear TSA anyway in many cases

Still there could be some real painfull cases. Flying Domestic->ATL->International, the bag recheck could easily add well over an hour (concourse->terminal->bags->bus to east terminal->checkin->TSA). So even with a good grace period one could be in trouble. [Though why somebody would try this ATL I do not know]
Old Dec 6, 2012, 9:43 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by exwannabe
True. There are a few saving graces though.
. Anybody who does this likely knows what they are doing.
. They will have several hours for the connection to allow for irops
. Into the US it does not matter
. Exiting the US one has to reclear TSA anyway in many cases

Still there could be some real painfull cases. Flying Domestic->ATL->International, the bag recheck could easily add well over an hour (concourse->terminal->bags->bus to east terminal->checkin->TSA). So even with a good grace period one could be in trouble. [Though why somebody would try this ATL I do not know]
I am among those who has already purchased separate tickets (DL to international locate then separate ticket) for 2013 where I was depending on interlining. So now I must pay change fees, higher fares, stay longer which costs more, etc.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by jwhite4
And for a previous comment that said this might drive more people to travel sites, I disagree. Those seemed very likely to mix carriers to get the lowest price. People who get those flights will be upset when they find out they need to pay 2 (or more) baggage fees, AND have to claim and recheck your bags.

Definitely not a change that benefits travellers.
I don’t think you understand the policy. The only thing that is changing is that bags will no longer be interlined on separate tickets. People that in the past would have bought one ticket directly from delta and one ticket from a different airline to complete their trip will now have to book a single ticket from an online travel site instead if they want their bags interlined.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 5:57 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by LAX88
Why do people continue making references to whether or not an airline is in SkyTeam?
It's annoying, but it's not complicated...
It's not just annoying, it'll be a pain in the butt on occasion. I used to interline on separate tickets about once a year. Now I'll have to figure out what to do with our baggage when I have an award and a paid ticket or two awards from different FF programs on the same trip. I know that I can normally combine flights from two or more airlines on the same paid ticket, but there are times when I prefer that they be on separate tickets - like when I'm getting reimbursed for one set of flights and personally paying for the other.

And the reason people keep bringing up SkyTeam is that you'd think that DL would make it easier for people to fly on airlines in their own alliance rather than treating their flights the same as if I booked on a OW or *A airline.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 7:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
People also bring up SkyTeam because many SkyTeam partner flights can be booked by DL on the same DL ticket as DL flights, especially if there's a codeshare. This generally cannot be done for a random airline; one must purchase the ticket from some sort of travel agent and probably pay a service fee to do so. Also, SkyTeam flight naturally arise when people have a trip that's part award ticket and part ticket paid with money. These cannot be on the same PNR, yet it can make sense, for example, to purchase MSP-IAD-MSP and take an award ticket IAD-CDG-IAD on AF (if available) using DL miles. These would seem to be the most common situations where the new policy will cause trouble.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Delta's Allison Ausband interview with Chris Elliott says:

You recently changed your baggage interlining policy, so luggage isn’t automatically transferred when a customer is traveling on another airline using two tickets. Have you had any complaints about that?

No, that issue hasn’t popped up.

Really!

http://www.elliott.org/blog/deltas-a...e-even-better/
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:18 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Delta Points
You recently changed your baggage interlining policy, so luggage isn’t automatically transferred when a customer is traveling on another airline using two tickets. Have you had any complaints about that?

No, that issue hasn’t popped up.

Really!

http://www.elliott.org/blog/deltas-a...e-even-better/
Considering the policy isn't in place I wouldn't think there would be any complaints yet...
Old Dec 20, 2012, 7:47 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
And a call to my senior Senator left me talking to a young lady who is clearly clueless on this subject
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:02 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by BOB W
And a call to my senior Senator left me talking to a young lady who is clearly clueless on this subject
Why the rolled eyes? Do you really expect a senate staffer/intern to know about the intricacies of every Executive branch regulation? (Especially ones that, being honest, don't affect a very large percentage of citizens.)

Hopefully you took the time to explain the issue to her and let her know why it is a problem - that is how you can spur action.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 7:14 am

Programs: DL DM & 1MM, AA, BA, National Emerald
Tried it find the answer in this thread but didn't.. Does this include seperate tickets on SkyTeam partners?

I have some flights in Feb. that are DL/KL into NBO then a KQ (skyteam partner) ticket connection like an hour after arrival into NBO.
If this new policy is indeed true we will have to start factoring hours to be able to get suitcases and recheck and in a place like NBO.. Ouch!
I do some DL into JNB as well and connect SOut African airways.. This will for sure hurt but JNB not as bad as some.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.