Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

***NEW***Baggage rules January 2013 — Postponed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

***NEW***Baggage rules January 2013 — Postponed

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2012, 9:18 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BER Flyer
This situation with saving ( larger amounts ) for TATL flights with an US connection by booking two seperate tickets are very common. Very often when DL/KL/AF pricing an TATL trip at 1k+ ( for example TXL-CDG-ATL-SAN ) the TATL part TXL-CDG-ATL can be booked on expedia/kayak whereever for something like $ 676 + the US connention as a seperate ticket for $ 283 ( all prices are made up by me ) saving you a couple hundred $ that way. I did this in the past and i'm certainly not the only one. And yes, i was always able to check the bags through.
It sounds like this might still be possible if both tickets are on DL. The rule isn't 100% clear about that but it can be interpreted that way.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 9:40 am

Delta needs to iron out their pricing. As someone who issues Delta tickets all day long, it's an issue, even with SkyTeam partners. For example, I just priced a one way MSP-ICN using Delta to Chicago and KE to ICN. Book both in Y. Itinerary unpriceable in any booking class, not even business class. Ticketed separately, $67.80 to ORD and $1065.60 to ICN. Meanwhile, I can issue AA to ORD connecting to KE as a through fare with fewer restrictions for $1265. On a round trip the difference is striking.. RT DL and RT KE totals $1754, while the interline through fare is $1658. Oh, and the code share? Forgetaboutit, the married segments aren't available at any price.

These aren't theoretical prices either, they're fresh out of GDS.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by cnc2002
Because if they would do this, then perhaps American would check bags through for Delta's customers when the start out on AA (perhaps from a destination not served by Delta) and finish on Delta. Reciprocity among airlines has been an important part of travel for many years.
Very likely even the same passenger on the same trip. Outbound DL then AA flight to destination (not served by DL). Return AA then DL.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:35 am

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
For the past 5 years 100% of my travel has been international. Up until recently I have been a loyal DL FF. This decision to discontinue interlining just confirms that my decision to give up DL loyalty was the right choice.

Consider my situation. DL no longer has codeshares that fly to LCA (my most common destination). Previously I would by a DL ticket to Athens (or another gateway in Europe) and a separate ticket to Larnaca. DL would interline my baggage. Flying BE and being DM, I am allowed 3 pieces of checked luggage, which DL would interline. Without the interlining, I would now have to claim those 3 pieces of luggage and recheck them with Cyprus Airways in ATH. Having no real status with Cyprus Airways, I would then have to pay for the extra 2 pieces of luggage (only one is allowed on Cyprus Airways) and the fees would be quite pricey. So the end result is that I either take less baggage on the DL flight to avoid the excess baggage charge on CY or pay a big bunch of euros to CY.

If there hadn't been other reasons to leave DL (the main one being that they no longer serve the airports I deal with or the schedules are horrendous), this one would have been the clincher.

BTW - I have switched to Etihad where a Business class ticket costs less than a DL M fare and I am certain to have a lie-flat seat among other nice amenities.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Yaatri
All U.S. airlines are required, by our very own DoT, that oeople love to complain to for every little issue, even when brought upon themselves by their own stupidity, to disclose all baggage fees when the ticket is purchased. No airline has the ability to predict which other airline you might choose to fly and what its baggage fees would be. By checking in your luggage through, the airline is accepting the liability of transporting your luggage to a destination it does nt serve, with no other charges. While the other airline may charge who knows what.
Too much whining leads to unexpected consequences.
I've never whined about unexpected fees from interlining. I fly J or F on almost all Transpacific flights. Having to recheck bags at an international gateway is a huge PITA. It's the short hop Y flights that become the problem. I buy many of my tickets 8-11 months in advance, so 2 months notice does me no good.

If I buy a ticket with F segments, and a coach component, having that latter component often makes the ticket non-refundable.

I think you don't understand what interlining is. Traveling from A to B via some intermediate stopping points using two separate tickets, is NOT interlining.
Interlining is the ability of two ofr airlines to issue a single ticket.
I was speaking of interlining luggage. This is the term and usage I've seen used on FT for many years.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 12:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The T&C on SWUs say "Travel on carriers other than DL, when permitted, must be ticketed separately." Doesn't this imply that under the new rules, one will not be permitted to check a bag through when using a SWU and another carrier on the same trip?
Old Oct 27, 2012, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Are there still some airlines which have interline agreements with DL for checked bags yet don't allow for their flights to be ticketed by DL?
Old Oct 27, 2012, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Bottom line here is that in a lot of situations....especially on international destinations.....you're scr&w$d or at least incredibly inconvenienced.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 3:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The T&C on SWUs say "Travel on carriers other than DL, when permitted, must be ticketed separately." Doesn't this imply that under the new rules, one will not be permitted to check a bag through when using a SWU and another carrier on the same trip?
Seearate tickets can be issued in conjunction, in which case, your bagage can be checked through.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 4:16 pm

Anyone?

Originally Posted by TTT
After Jan 15, 2013 the outbound (US-HNL HA connection) will also require you to reclaim and recheck your luggage. Prior to that, Delta will allow you to interline luggage to HA even on different ticket.
Ok. I guess it is a good thing that I hadn't purchased the HNL-OGG portions yet for Feb. 2013. What would be a suggested lay over time now to accomodate luggage rechecking?
Old Oct 27, 2012, 4:42 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
DoT regulation does not say that DL or any other airlines CANNOT choose to through check baggage on separate tickets, but that it doesn't have to. DoT regulation is that the airline cannot deny through check-in on a single interlined ticket or conjuncted tickets. The announcement is in compliance with DoT. The regulations actually address baggage fees that could be different on another carrier. For example, you travel in Business class with three free bags to a destination DL flies. At the other end, you have a ticket from another carrier on which your allowance is 20Kg, bcause you bought an economy class ticket. When DL issues your ticket, it has no idea that you have other plans of travelling on another airline. There is no way in the world, it can tell you in advance what your baggage fees would be. DL could face penalties for not having disclosed baggage fees, that it had no way of knowing would be imposed by another airline.
This is an unintended consequences of all the complaints people filed with DoT regarding baggage fee surprises, when the tried to check their bags with the subsequent airline on the second ticket.
This is the most helpful summary and finally explains it very clearly why this is being implemented. Just another "knee-jerk" reaction, but an understandable one, where ultimately (as is usually the case) it comes at the expense of the customer ('s convenience).
Old Oct 27, 2012, 5:18 pm
Suspended

DoT regulation does not say that DL or any other airlines CANNOT choose to through check baggage on separate tickets, but that it doesn't have to. DoT regulation is that the airline cannot deny through check-in on a single interlined ticket or conjuncted tickets. The announcement is in compliance with DoT.
I haven't heard anything to the contrary of that.

The regulations actually address baggage fees that could be different on another carrier. For example, you travel in Business class with three free bags to a destination DL flies. At the other end, you have a ticket from another carrier on which your allowance is 20Kg, bcause you bought an economy class ticket. When DL issues your ticket, it has no idea that you have other plans of travelling on another airline. There is no way in the world, it can tell you in advance what your baggage fees would be. DL could face penalties for not having disclosed baggage fees, that it had no way of knowing would be imposed by another airline.
Are there any examples of any US airline (or any other airline whose flights may be subject to US DOT jurisdiction) being hit with a penalty from US DOT for the situation you are mentioning?

I have come across zero documented cases of such so far. And that is only in part why I doubt the following:

This is an unintended consequences of all the complaints people filed with DoT regarding baggage fee surprises, when the tried to check their bags with the subsequent airline on the second ticket.
What I am certain of is that these changes have everything to do with the kind of costs DL has been hit with after a baggage mishandling situation arises for bags DL checks in on its own flights with thru-checking onto a different airline on a separate ticket. Those costs ordinarily have nothing to do with the US DOT not playing industry patsy as usual. Those costs are routine, recurring and of high frequency compared to any US DOT penalties hitting a US major. And those costs aggregated annually make most US DOT fines look like peanuts.

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 27, 2012 at 5:29 pm
Old Oct 27, 2012, 6:09 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GUWonder
What I am certain of is that these changes have everything to do with the kind of costs DL has been hit with after a baggage mishandling situation arises for bags DL checks in on its own flights with thru-checking onto a different airline on a separate ticket. Those costs ordinarily have nothing to do with the US DOT not playing industry patsy as usual. Those costs are routine, recurring and of high frequency compared to any US DOT penalties hitting a US major. And those costs aggregated annually make most US DOT fines look like peanuts.
It has always been my understanding that the final airline transporting the luggage is responsible for any liability claims regardless of the airline at fault.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 6:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TTT
It has always been my understanding that the final airline transporting the luggage is responsible for any liability claims regardless of the airline at fault.
The final airline flown by the passengers as indicated on the baggage tag is the airline responsible for taking the claim report and handling the claim.

Multilateral or bilateral interline agreements worked out how the airlines involved are to settle payments amongst themselves (i.e. amongst the airlines or contracted agents) when dealing with claims for lost/delayed/stolen/damaged baggage and paying out (to passengers) for those claims.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 6:47 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by Vuelos
KOA-CMH will have you paying KOA-HNL baggage fees on HA, collecting at the intra-island terminal and then re-checking with DL in HNL.
I think this is one of the real main reasons for the change. I would bet that previously, in the example above, there would usually be one baggage fee charged: HA's.

Now a customer has to go to the DL ticket counter, where the customer will pay an additional baggage fee: DL's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.