FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Tcon Companion Upgrades - How does it work? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1400377-tcon-companion-upgrades-how-does-work.html)

::JUJUBE Oct 23, 2012 2:55 pm

Tcon Companion Upgrades - How does it work?

Pardon my ignorance - I've reviewed some other threads but don't have a definitive answer.

On BE marketed transcon routes - JFK-LAX/SFO, how are companion upgrades handled?

Understanding ug inventory typically isn't released prior for these routes, I suppose it all goes down to the UG list, but where do I (vs. companion) stand on said list?

Say I (PM) travel with a general member on separate PNR's. At T-24, will my position on the ug list be after diamonds, before golds, and my travel companion after silvers and award tickets?

Or.. Am I dragged to the bottom with him?

Does if differ whether we are on the same PNR, or separate ones?

Thanks!!

topcat_dcx Oct 23, 2012 3:01 pm

only experience i have is when i flew ATL to SAN and back and I was last on the list as was travelling with my son (who has no status). maybe some other experienced folks can confirm/deny this...

3Cforme Oct 23, 2012 3:05 pm

The designated transcon upgrades JFK-SFO/LAX work no differently than other complimentary Medallion upgrades.

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/about_...jsp##companion

HongKonger Oct 23, 2012 3:24 pm

If you get a companion UGed on those routes, buy a lottery ticket.

Denolloyd Oct 23, 2012 3:28 pm

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10A403 Safari/8536.25)

Originally Posted by HongKonger

Ha, I was thinking the same! That being said, the occasional 767 sub does increase ones odds.

Blainux Oct 23, 2012 3:46 pm

An SWU is your best shot at getting a companion upgraded on that route. Possibly your only shot.

You and companion will be at top of UG list if using a SWU, providing you don't clear in advance. Only DM's using a SWU will be infront of you, and only other medallions using SWU will be above your companion.

rwoman Oct 23, 2012 3:46 pm

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-skymiles.html

::JUJUBE Oct 23, 2012 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by HongKonger (Post 19552221)

You'd be surprised ;) I've scored 17/17 on DL 2363, off days on LUT.

The reason I pose the question is because if I can add him as a companion and maintain my place in the queue - so be it! Rather give him a shot at it than nothing... But if not, I'd prefer avoid being dragged downward on the list!

rylan Oct 23, 2012 4:54 pm

Big difference being a plat vs a no status companion.

If he was booked on the same itinerary record, then you will be pulled down to his level, which means essentially the bottom after ALL medallions.

Since he is on a separate record locator, then you can call and request the companion upgrade and it won't affect your chances. His itinerary should then show the 'upgrade requested' status for the flights. You'll be ordered for upgrades according to each of your individual status.

GYEWorldTraveler Oct 23, 2012 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by ::JUJUBE (Post 19552400)

The reason I pose the question is because if I can add him as a companion and maintain my place in the queue - so be it! Rather give him a shot at it than nothing... But if not, I'd prefer avoid being dragged downward on the list!

As long as you are on separate PNRs, you will be in your normal place. Companion upgrades always come after all medallions and are grouped in the same category as AF/KL/AS elites.

mnredfox Oct 24, 2012 12:52 am

Originally Posted by HongKonger (Post 19552221)

+1. Though I've seen some lucky FO's UG on this route, usually it's still not 100% for DM's.

javabytes Oct 24, 2012 1:06 am

Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler (Post 19553423)
As long as you are on separate PNRs, you will be in your normal place.

+1

On separate PNRs, a companion doesn't weigh you down.

mlad1101 Oct 24, 2012 1:57 am

Originally Posted by ::JUJUBE (Post 19552400)

That may be your upgrade rate, but there is 0 percent chance of a non status companion getting upgrade on this route with the standard BE config. The only slight possibility is if they swap it with an international aircraft with substantially more BE seats at an off time.

::JUJUBE Oct 24, 2012 9:36 am

Originally Posted by mlad1101 (Post 19554795)
That may be your upgrade rate, but there is 0 percent chance of a non status companion getting upgrade on this route with the standard BE config. The only slight possibility is if they swap it with an international aircraft with substantially more BE seats at an off time.

Thanks everyone for your reply. I know the flight out is a long shot, but the redeye back connecting in MSP is operated via A332. More concerned with him being able to ride up front for that segment than the outbound.

In any case, since our PNR's are separate I've requested the companion UG. However, on the ride home both segments have him in EC, and the UG shows listed as not eligible... Is that due to his current seats in EC?

MSPeconomist Oct 24, 2012 11:38 am

Originally Posted by ::JUJUBE (Post 19556494)
Thanks everyone for your reply. I know the flight out is a long shot, but the redeye back connecting in MSP is operated via A332. More concerned with him being able to ride up front for that segment than the outbound.

In any case, since our PNR's are separate I've requested the companion UG. However, on the ride home both segments have him in EC, and the UG shows listed as not eligible... Is that due to his current seats in EC?

Having or not having an assigned EC shouldn't affect upgrade eligibility, so there seems to be something wrong.

Also, are you sure that there's a domestic flight to/from MSP using an A330? AFAIK the only A330s we see are long haul international. Could this be the continuation of an international flight with an aircraft change to a narrow body at the international gateway?