Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award Booking Help

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2012, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Award Booking Help

I could use some award booking help again.. got the whole Europe side of the house figured out... not so much Asia...

Trying to get from either:

DFW or AUS

to

HKT

departing 12/26 or 12/27 or 12/28

returning

1/4 1/5 or 1/6

Spending least amount of SkyPesos as possible (economy booking)...

Any tips are appreciated!
Old Oct 23, 2012, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
You're trying to fly in a peak period, plus getting hit by both Korean Air and China Airlines blackout dates for Delta award travel - in both directions.

You might try for China Southern on CAN-HKT, or for China Eastern affiliate Shanghai Airlines PVG-HKT. CZ and MU could offer the trans-Pac segments, too, but I suspect you'll need Delta segments that will be other than Low award band to get to LAX.

Don't forget about the 4-segment limit in each direction. That may hurt since you're trying to fly westbound from TX (and everything needs a connection).

Last edited by 3Cforme; Oct 23, 2012 at 5:37 am
Old Oct 27, 2012, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
You're trying to fly in a peak period, plus getting hit by both Korean Air and China Airlines blackout dates for Delta award travel - in both directions.

You might try for China Southern on CAN-HKT, or for China Eastern affiliate Shanghai Airlines PVG-HKT. CZ and MU could offer the trans-Pac segments, too, but I suspect you'll need Delta segments that will be other than Low award band to get to LAX.

Don't forget about the 4-segment limit in each direction. That may hurt since you're trying to fly westbound from TX (and everything needs a connection).
Thanks!! So close to figuring out a flight.. getting stuck in PVG... can't find a solid flight from PVG to HKT...
Old Oct 27, 2012, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Settle for BKK as your award destination and buy a separate ticket from $172+ r/t?

Last edited by 3Cforme; Oct 27, 2012 at 3:15 pm
Old Oct 27, 2012, 4:51 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by 3Cforme

Bad advice about Shanghai Airlines.

Shanghai Airlines is not a SkyTeam member and is not available for award flight bookings. So has been confirmed by Delta very recently (earlier this month), in fact.

There is a false wikipedia entry that lists Shanghai Airlines as a SkyTeam member and some actually believe that nonsense, but so is not the case (and www.skyteam.com so readily confirms it). FM is not a SkyTeam member and is not available for award bookings. (However, now FM coded and FM or MU operated flights, as of April 1, 2012, can earn SkyMiles for revenue tickets.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.