Unions try again to unionize DL FAs

Old Oct 17, 12, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Marriott lifetime Ti, USMC
Unions try again to unionize DL FAs

Here's wishing them a total lack of success.

http://www.startribune.com/business/174493591.html
Old Oct 17, 12, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
+1

I'm sure the union leaders would loooooove to get their hands in there. Lots of revenue from dues and frivolous lawsuits to keep their lawyers busy.
Old Oct 17, 12, 10:00 am

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
AS FA's are represented by the AFA, and folks over at the AS boards seem pretty happy with the inflight team as a general rule.

And so while there are both pros, and some significant cons, to unionization for all sides: as a DL passenger, it does not - as demonstrated by say AS - mean a defacto auto degradation of the passenger experience.

Therefore, I'd respectfully submit that it's up to the FAs - and not us armchair pundits/passengers - to make an informed decision about what's best for their future, whether that be hoping that direct relations with Daddy Delta will pave the way to a brighter future, or whether it be that having union representation would better safeguard and secure their working terms and conditions.

If the FAs are a happy work group, and deliver efficient, friendly and warm service onboard to me as a paying cusotmer, I don't (and frankly shouldn't) give a rats hoot whether they do that while being members of a union, or as a non-union workforce.
Old Oct 17, 12, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Marriott lifetime Ti, USMC
Interesting point. I fly AS a few times a quarter and have been very pleased by the quality of inflight service. However, I also flew NW for years and.. well, not so much. Would a unionized corps of DL FAs be more like AS or like NW? Given how contentious prior union elections have been I am not sure of the answer; either way there will (may) be sore losers.
Old Oct 17, 12, 10:15 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta PLAT, Marriot Plat, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, A couple of other airlines - pee on
However, undoubtedly, with unions, cost of labor goes up. Delta would then have to recoup from it's customers.
Old Oct 17, 12, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by SamuelS View Post
AS FA's are represented by the AFA, and folks over at the AS boards seem pretty happy with the inflight team as a general rule.
There's no reason to be selective. Here's AFA's list of airlines:

AirTran Airways
Air Wisconsin Airlines
Alaska Airlines

America West Airlines (yes, it lives on due to lack of single contract at US)
American Eagle
Compass Airlines

Continental Airlines
Continental Micronesia
Frontier Airlines

Hawaiian Airlines
Horizon Air
Mesa Air Group

Miami Air International
Omni Air International
Piedmont Airlines

Pinnacle Airlines
PSA Airlines
Ryan International Airlines

Spirit Airlines
United Airlines
US Airways
Old Oct 17, 12, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post

Continental Airlines
Continental Micronesia
Oh yeah? Are PMCO/UA crews still segregated like DL and NW crews were for a while?
Old Oct 17, 12, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
There's no reason to be selective.
Yup, a lot of airlines.

WN FA's are also unionised, albeit via TWU rather than AFA.
Old Oct 17, 12, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by tkey75 View Post
Oh yeah? Are PMCO/UA crews still segregated like DL and NW crews were for a while?
For now they are still separated while the transition of contracts and seniority lists is worked through.

There are however opportunities for employees from both sides to "transfer" over to bases on the other, e.g. suUA FA to transfer over and work on suCO aircraft, with suCO crew, at a suCO base.
Old Oct 17, 12, 10:31 am

Unions can go take a hike.
Old Oct 17, 12, 12:00 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Dia, Avis Pres Club
What is this new drive going to cost the union??? Alot I am sure.

If I were a union F/A from another AFA represented airline I would be upset with the AFA spending money on drive that probably won't pass based on past history. Remember it is dues that make up the money being spent here.
Old Oct 17, 12, 12:37 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Originally Posted by Singleflyer View Post
What is this new drive going to cost the union??? Alot I am sure.

If I were a union F/A from another AFA represented airline I would be upset with the AFA spending money on drive that probably won't pass based on past history. Remember it is dues that make up the money being spent here.
This has been costing AFA members for many years. From an AJC article during the 2010 attempt at Delta:

The AFA is the world’s biggest flight attendant union, representing 42,000 at 21 carriers.

Friend became the AFA’s president in 1995, and a year later it started working in earnest at Delta. The union set up an organizing fund and earmarked a $1 per member per month allocation of dues to the cause. That led to a representation vote in 2002, which the union lost badly. Another vote in 2008 did better but still fell well short of a majority favoring the AFA.

Over the years, the union has probably spent millions of dollars, Friend said.

“We knew that it was going to be a long-term investment,” she said.

Full article:
http://www.ajc.com/news/business/uni...ar-purs/nQmnS/
Old Oct 17, 12, 1:03 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Dia, Avis Pres Club
I believe friend is no longer President of the AFA,
Old Oct 17, 12, 1:18 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Originally Posted by Singleflyer View Post
I believe friend is no longer President of the AFA,
Correct. As noted in the linked article, she was set to retire in December, 2010. Her comments were quoted in response to your post about how much this will cost the union this time around. Per her estimation, the fight to get into Delta has already cost them millions that came directly from member dues. Seems her mission has been carried on by the new leadership.
Old Oct 17, 12, 3:06 pm

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Well the Delta pilots (unionized) just got a nice fat 20% raise. Remind me how much of a raise the FAs got?

Search this Thread