Wiki Posts
Search

TVs no longer free in EC?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2012, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, 1.1MM

I am confused -- Sitting in 19B on SFO-JFK Transcon. I was sure that TVs (HBO, Movies, etc.) are free in EC, but this appears not to be the case. Am I dreaming that they used to be free?
Old Oct 8, 2012, 3:53 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM 4MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat Elite, HH Diamond
TV - Yes
Movies - No
Old Oct 8, 2012, 3:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott lifetime Ti, USMC
They were free as recently as yesterday on ATL-SLC. So no, you weren't dreaming.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DL Platinum
TV - Yes
Movies - No
When did we get this great unannounced best in class enhancement?
Old Oct 8, 2012, 4:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Orion316
When did we get this great unannounced best in class enhancement?
On TAPC and TATL, certain movies, not all, were complimentary in economy. HBO movies were not free. However, now, they are free in EC.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yaatri
On TAPC and TATL, certain movies, not all, were complimentary in economy. HBO movies were not free. However, now, they are free in EC.
So they are free TATl/TPAC but not on the cross country JFK/SFO trips?
Old Oct 8, 2012, 4:19 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM 4MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat Elite, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Orion316
So they are free TATl/TPAC but not on the cross country JFK/SFO trips?
Correct. Domestic EC gives you 1) legroom 2) "priority" Boarding

International EC gives you 1) the above 2) Free booze. Movies are free for all international.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DL Platinum
Correct. Domestic EC gives you 1) legroom 2) "priority" Boarding

International EC gives you 1) the above 2) Free booze. Movies are free for all international.
Final question: when did this change? When I flew two weeks ago, I am 100% sure that HBO was free in EC on domestic flights.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 4:27 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Are you sure your ATL-SLC plane wasn't used on International?

International flights get free movies but the system doesn't change if the metal is used domestically.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by paulr
They were free as recently as yesterday on ATL-SLC. So no, you weren't dreaming.
We're comparing apples and oranges.

The OP is telling the truth and I too have been wondering what's going on.

On "regular" domestic flights with PTV's equipped with satellite TV channels like on LAX-ATL, those TV channels are free.

However on "transcon" flights which don't have satellite TV, IE LAX-JFK, DL seems to have begun charging for almost ALL television programming. The only exception seems to be the two lousy "Delta on-air" channels which loop a couple of programs.

I too recall only as recently as June getting all movies and TV shows (except HBO programming) for free whilst in EC. Last week on a r/t LAX-JFK in EC I experienced what the OP did. I don't know if this is the new norm and wish it was clear. If it is the new norm, it's certainly a thumbs down from me.

Last edited by Oakshadow; Oct 8, 2012 at 6:53 pm Reason: sp
Old Oct 8, 2012, 4:57 pm

Programs: Variety of rectangular cards with my name on it
Are you sure you are sitting in EC? I'm sure movies are free in EC for Transcon flights. Haven't sat in the back in a while though to know.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KissFlyGoodbye
Are you sure you are sitting in EC? I'm sure movies are free in EC for Transcon flights. Haven't sat in the back in a while though to know.
Thanks for your insightful comment. My seat says economy comfort on it, so I am quite sure.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 5:14 pm

Programs: DL, CO, LH, BA etc...
The JFK-LAX/SFO birds do not offer Live TV - only pre-recorded shows.

Live TV is still free (nose to tail) on flights and aircraft that offer it. The 757s on the premium transcon routes, being equipped for international flying, do not offer it.

On these planes, I have noted that TV content and movies are paid-for, throughout Y.
I suspect they can be made available complimentary when flying internationally (so crew has some discretion) - and likewise, premium content (HBO, games?) becomes accessible for free to EC as well.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by KissFlyGoodbye
Very sure been sitting in EC on the transcon flights.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 6:49 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Delta 2MM, HHonors Gold, Bonvoy Titanium

I experienced the same thing last week on my LAX-JFK-LAX flights last week. Everything in EC required payment. Definitely a change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.