Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Yikes - blowing 720,000 miles!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2012, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by jtrue28
and yet you still spend your time in the DL forum...
Did 2MM BIS on DL. Hoping they'll fire the bums at the top, and DL will go back to being a good airline for international travelers. Figure it's the least I can do for the other wretched inmates who haven't escaped yet.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by 5khours
Did 2MM BIS on DL. Hoping they'll fire the bums at the top, and DL will go back to being a good airline for international travelers. Figure it's the least I can do for the other wretched inmates who haven't escaped yet.
The first thing they could do is make minimum fare class for SWU U and I would be on DL.
Also when they fix the award calendar.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by Vuelos

Can you get 15 saver seats to Hawaii over this time on UA/CO/US?

It's asinine to compare apples to oranges
I think 5 FC to Hawaii is more like comparing Apples to Champagne. I'm not complaining about the number of miles. I knew what it was when I started collecting them.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 8:22 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Go for it

Originally Posted by Stefan Sip
Location and time are fixed, flying comfort (seating/shortest flying time/etc) is also essential. I am sensing a need to reaffirm that flying Delta is still the best option, albeit, higher miles than others.
I say go for it.
those miles can be earned back reasonably quickly.
Agreed for all these reasons above.

A couple of things

The availability may be better if you search for 1 at a time or 2 at a time
If you have KVS that tells you availability as well in medium and low, but you can get the same info on DL.

AS flights may (?will) not show on DL at times when there is a DL flight (even though miles cost is 3 times)
Search Segment by segment on DL or open an AS acct and search on AS and look at the flights and book the same ones on DL using the multicity options

180k DL IS much cheaper than 150k AA (due to better earn rates).
Don't compare numbers in pesos to numbers in $

We are going as a family of 4 to HI in Dec over the holidays and the 135k were what was available on the dates we want, to the places we want (KOA).
AA and UA had 75k/80k each way available, so were MUCH more expensive considering the ease of earn and the cost itself.

I would conserve your AA for intl trips to Asia on CX but do it soon.
150k AA will get you F class on Cx from JFK to HKG (done that- one of the best flights in my life) with about 15k left over.
so that 500k AA will get you 4 seats in F (not that Cx releases all 4 at the same time) but you can book 2 in F and 2 in C and still have a great time.

Even at a cost of 1 cpm for the miles, you are getting a great deal at 1800$ (F will be 3k, so you are getting at least 1.5c value on it)
and keep searching for lower levels and pay 150$ if needed to change for 135 or 90k DL awards.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 8:26 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
My suggestion. Fly on a different airline.

We're doing 15 of us from the East Coast to Phuket and Bali over Christmas. All in international F. No problem getting UA Saver awards (DL low equivalent) at 130k to 140k each for RT.
I agree for a different trip. For this one DL is probably the best available for now.
When KE and CZ are factored in, they may find that 120k DL may take them to China / Asia but not to HI on the dates in question.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 3:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, DL Silver
Originally Posted by AllanAtlanta
That's a great idea. I just tried it and it shows no award seats on the connection HNL-OGG. Tried multiple days around 6/30 with no luck. Delta.com will sell me a seat but not an award seat. Weird. Anyone have advice on this??
Buying a ticket from HNL to OGG may be an option - it's usually pretty cheap. But you may have to get your bags and recheck unless they can interline.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 3:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gsorob
My suggestions, in no particular order of preference:
1. For the ATL-HNL A330, fly DL coach in EC on the outbound and try to find F for the inbound. I find EC acceptable for the westbound, and the return in F will give you the opportunity for a lie-flat.
2. Look into using AS or DL in coach both ways. On the return, however, you can break up the return by overnighting in one of the AS/DL gateways (SEA, SFO, LAX, SAN, etc). You can put your head on a real pillow, get a real night's sleep and then continue your journey home the next day.
3. Look into AS F RT. If needed, break up the trip using suggestion #2.
4. Look into combining DL and HA. HA usually has F availability from JFK, PDX, and LAX and has the 4 seats you require. Get a trial subscription to Expert Flyer and search HA availability for your required dates.
Good Luck.
Thanks. Problem is if you do F on return it bumps the whole award up to high - DL won't do one way awards. And coach is not great for 12+ hours in the air.
May look into stopping on the way home, or if we use Amex points to transfer to HA and use them, we have friends in Phoenix we could see (sort of) for a night on return. Then just buy tix on SW or something (HA won't get us from our area to PHX but does nonstop from there to HNL).

Decisions decisions......
Old Oct 9, 2012, 3:44 am
Original Poster

My suggestion. Fly on a different airline.

We're doing 15 of us from the East Coast to Phuket and Bali over Christmas. All in international F. No problem getting UA Saver awards (DL low equivalent) at 130k to 140k each for RT.

I can't believe anyone still flies DL. It's kind of like competing for the Darwin Award.
I would fly on AA ideally - but have more miles available on DL (and so would rather "spend" them for now).

Don't have any UA miles.

For the most part, trying to make this a free trip - saving up for special things while there (like possibly going to Lanai for a night alone and having the kids stay on Oahu with our friends for our 20th anniversary! That will cost a lot!).
Old Oct 9, 2012, 4:58 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by happymommy
Thanks. Problem is if you do F on return it bumps the whole award up to high - DL won't do one way awards. And coach is not great for 12+ hours in the air.
DL won't sell OW awards but the outbound and inbound are still priced independently. I've flown to HI (from Europe!) twice in Y on the way there and J/F on the return. You can combine at low level provided there is availability. The best chance at getting F to/from HI using SkyPesos is with AS.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 6:43 am
mdb

Originally Posted by nystateofmind
If the children are in a different cabin than the adults and are of the age where Unaccompanied Minor service is required on Delta you will be forced to pay for that
Not true
Old Oct 9, 2012, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The requirement for unaccompanied minor service with different cabins of travel is the published rule.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 6:53 am
mdb

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
The requirement for unaccompanied minor service with different cabins of travel is the published rule.
I have never seen it enforced as long as the children are older than say 8 - from personal experience. Plus, I could not find that rule.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by florin
DL won't sell OW awards but the outbound and inbound are still priced independently. I've flown to HI (from Europe!) twice in Y on the way there and J/F on the return. You can combine at low level provided there is availability. The best chance at getting F to/from HI using SkyPesos is with AS.
Thank you! I totally did not know this.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I don't think I need to worry since my kids will be 14 and 16. If they were really much younger, I'd keep them by me anyway - my son has adhd and food allergies (he's the older one), so I watch him (well, probably hover is the correct word) when we travel, to make sure he is on his best behavior!
Old Oct 9, 2012, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by happymommy
I don't think I need to worry since my kids will be 14 and 16. If they were really much younger, I'd keep them by me anyway - my son has adhd and food allergies (he's the older one), so I watch him (well, probably hover is the correct word) when we travel, to make sure he is on his best behavior!
And also so you can watch what he gets in the lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.