Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How much is your time worth when SDC'ing for more MQMs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:10 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by daregale
I rarely find that it's worth SDC just to get more MQMs, as attractive as they can be, especially for someone like me who hovers between silver and gold.
that's the biggest gap there is between levels. i would think that would be the biggest reason TO actually SDC.

i did it twice CHA-BOS. was going to miss both upgrades. got on a 767 to and 777 from with BE seats. was definitely worth the extra time to experience thos and earn a few extra MQMs
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:47 am

Programs: Delta Gold
I agree it is hugely attractive in my position, but the cost of the time it would take to add 200 or 500 MQMs by switching to an indirect flight, not to mention doubling the risk of IROPs, makes the cost too high for such a small amount. If I'm only flying once a month or so, it doesn't get me so far, especially if I have to pony up to do so. Others might have fewer time constraints.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:48 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
I'm hourly so I get paid for my travel time. But, I rarely SDC these days because the flights are so full and there's a good chance I may not get on if it's a later flight. I generally only do it if I have to. Plus, I've usually been upgraded so it's pretty hard to give up an F seat to play the gate lottery.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 1:54 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by yohanson
Plus, I've usually been upgraded so it's pretty hard to give up an F seat to play the gate lottery.
Not to mention, as full as the flights are theses days, the chance of being stuck in a middle seat!!! I think I heard they actually have such a thing somewhere way back yonder!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by davetravels
Should've only been 709!

. . . . edited to add - - Unless, of course, you were on one of the higher fare classes.
double checked - you are correct
Old Oct 10, 2012, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Lots of variables in the equation. Do I already have an upgrade on the flights I am confirmed on? How likely is an upgrade on the SDC flights? Are there comfortable seats open in Y? How tight are the connections? What's the weather like at the proposed connecting points?

How many extra miles (assuming it's at least 250) and how much longer the trip will be are often secondary considerations. I usually make very good use of plane/lounge time.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Stripe
Lots of variables in the equation. Do I already have an upgrade on the flights I am confirmed on?
Agreed! Whenever I fly PIT/West Coast, I always try to fly via JFK, for the most MQMs. I have an upcoming redeye return that I couldn't get T class via JFK, so I booked via ATL. Since SFO & LAX/JFK doesn't ever do advance UGs - strictly BF, I figure that I'd be in pretty much the same UG position if I SDC as I would be if I had booked via JFK originally!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 6:41 pm

Programs: Delta: Platinum, Turkish: Gold (Star Alliance Gold); HHonors: Gold; Hyatt: Plat; SPG: Plat;

One thing to watch out when using SDC. I had booked a connecting flight once and on the day of travel decided to do SDC to a non-stop that showed plenty availability. Called GM desk, agent said sure, no problem.

Then she came back and said that unfortunately the way my ticket had been issued (thru my employer's agency) it was showing as two separate flights A to B & B to C vs a connecting flight form A to C. As such she was unable to change to a direct flight using SDC.

She had a supervisor try to do a manual re- issue but no luck.

She was able to add me to the standby list and the standby cleared at boarding.

She said that she had never seen anything like that before and she learnt something new that day and so did I.

So, just be careful when using SDC to change a connecting flight!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 7:42 pm

If I'm flying say DTW-PBI direct and don't have the upgrade... is it possible to call DL at the SDC window and ask if I SDC to a 2 segment flight (or earlier flight) if there is First Class availability that I can confirm? Do they get ticked if you try this or is that standard questioning of the GM line?
Old Oct 10, 2012, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stils
If I'm flying say DTW-PBI direct and don't have the upgrade... is it possible to call DL at the SDC window and ask if I SDC to a 2 segment flight (or earlier flight) if there is First Class availability that I can confirm? Do they get ticked if you try this or is that standard questioning of the GM line?
2 thingz . . .

First, your fare has to allow a connection. Some fares - particularly cheaper, OAL (other airline) matching fares, require nonstop travel. Usually, the system won't allow the phone agent to do the change, but it has been reported here that sometimes it does work.

Second, usually V upgrade inventory seems to go to zero availability at the 3 hour SDC time mark, so you probably won't get an UG on the first segment over the phone - you'd be on stand-by for the UG at the gate. The second segment, possibly, if V inventory is available.

I can't imagine an agent getting ticked, but you should be prepared to ask for what flights you want, knowing in advance which ones have UG availability. I wouldn't call and ask them to start checking possible alternative routings to see which ones do have it available!

edited to add . . . .

I just checked ExpertFlyer, and at the moment, the cheapest fare from DTW/PBI DOES allow a connecting flight:

1. DTT-ATL/CVG/DTT/MEM/MSP/ORL/RDU-PBI
2. DTT-PBI

However, the lowest fare isn't really cheap - - $276ish. If there's a cheaper fare, it may require a nonstop.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.