Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Help with Delta/partner options to Taiwan

Old Oct 5, 2012, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE

I need to buy tickets to Taipei for an upcoming trip. The client I'm going there for will pay for Business Class. They wanted me to fly on EVA Air, as two of their employees that I'll be working with are flying with them. I'd like to fly on Delta or a partner so I won't miss out on 20k+ MQMs and around 50k SkyPesos.

What are my best options to keep the pricing in the ballpark of EVA, and still have a good TPAC experience? Here's some info:

- The client employees are flying LAX to TPE on tickets in the ballpark of $4500.
- We are leaving Monday, Nov 5 (arriving the evening of Nov 6) and returning sometime on Friday, November 9.
- I don't care what airport I fly to TPE from, but I'll be originating in SLC.
- I don't need FC for the domestic flights (trying to keep the costs down).

Any help would be appreciated!
Old Oct 5, 2012, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
On those dates one can fly China Airlines, a SkyTeam airline that will get you SkyMiles MQM, in Business on the ocean-crossing segments, for as little as $5,308, SLC-LAX-TPE and return. A DL-operated routing will be ~$1000 more as a 2-stop or $2000 more as a 1-stop

Proficiency with a strong and flexible itinerary search tool, like ITA Software's Matrix II, would serve you well.

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/
Old Oct 5, 2012, 1:28 pm
c_d

Programs: Feels like FO (AA EXP)
Originally Posted by Howste
I need to buy tickets to Taipei for an upcoming trip. The client I'm going there for will pay for Business Class. They wanted me to fly on EVA Air, as two of their employees that I'll be working with are flying with them. I'd like to fly on Delta or a partner so I won't miss out on 20k+ MQMs and around 50k SkyPesos.

What are my best options to keep the pricing in the ballpark of EVA, and still have a good TPAC experience? Here's some info:

- The client employees are flying LAX to TPE on tickets in the ballpark of $4500.
- We are leaving Monday, Nov 5 (arriving the evening of Nov 6) and returning sometime on Friday, November 9.
- I don't care what airport I fly to TPE from, but I'll be originating in SLC.
- I don't need FC for the domestic flights (trying to keep the costs down).

Any help would be appreciated!
1. CI is in your price range in C. (~$4035 right now)
3. Not many gateway choices if you want ST. CI is going by LAX, so is DL with their LAX-NRT-TPE "direct". DL is giving you real lie flat at an added premium, while CI is giving you angled lie flat around $1k cheaper.
4. You need to call anyway as CI has issues booking a feeder flight in F.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

I've been using the Matrix website to search, and it's pretty good.

A few questions:
- How do I book on China Airlines?
- Can I do it through Delta, or do I go through their website and use my DL number?
- Will I still get my DM 125% mileage bonus with them?
- Is the service on CI good?
Old Oct 5, 2012, 1:40 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond

A few questions:
- Can I do it through Delta, or do I go through their website and use my DL number?
If you are booking China Airlines with Delta domestic segments you can book via Delta reservations phone line. You can also likely get an online travel agency to book the ticket.

To confirm mileage earning, check the Delta site for your ticketed fare class.
http://skymilesoffers.delta.com/airline_partners.php#CI

All Delta mileage earning fare classes on CI also earn the Medallion bonus. But make sure you check fare classes very carefully!
Old Oct 5, 2012, 2:03 pm
c_d

Programs: Feels like FO (AA EXP)

A few questions:
1./2. Phone (either DL or CI) - no online booking AFAIK. Be careful with TA as both, DL and CI, are pretty stingy when it comes to consolidator fares.
3. If you're not in a consolidator fare and in a eligible fare class yes. Don't conentrate on your 125% RDM bonus as a DM, maybe the 150 MQM bonus is more important. Who can use SkyPesos anyway?
4. The service is FANTASTIC in either coach or business. Hot meals all over, unlimited drinks, FA that actually ask whether they can do more, etc.

The hardware is much better in Y than DL's but subpar in C (compared to DL's updated cabin). Old cabins are pretty much the same. If you're lucky you get a birdie that has recently undergone a revamp. However, they still have no real real lie flat installed and they have a 2-3-2 layout. I felt like a sandwich.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. Would there be any issues if I book the CI flights as a roundtrip on their website and the domestic SLC-LAX as a separate trip on DL? Or is it better to make sure they're tied together in case of IROPS?
Old Oct 5, 2012, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
You could also fly CZ.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
You could also fly CZ.
It looks like the China Southern options available arrive on Wednesday, not Tuesday.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
It looks like the China Southern options available arrive on Wednesday, not Tuesday.
If you can make a 30 minute connection in CAN you can get to TPE on Tuesday.
YVR-CAN-(CI)TPE.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 9:37 am

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
If you can make a 30 minute connection in CAN you can get to TPE on Tuesday.
YVR-CAN-(CI)TPE.
30 minutes is not enough time, in China for international connections (Taiwan is considered an international flight). Besides the security check for transfer passengers, you also need pass immigration.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The OP might be able to fly DL and minimize costs by purchasing an M fare and using his/her miles or SWUs to upgrade.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:38 am
Original Poster

I ended up booking a roundtrip on China Airlines from LAX to TPE for $4081 and a separate roundtrip SLC-LAX on DL for $293. If I had booked the same exact flights on one PNR on Delta the cost would have been over $7000 even with mixed cabins.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:02 am

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
I ended up booking a roundtrip on China Airlines from LAX to TPE for $4081 and a separate roundtrip SLC-LAX on DL for $293. If I had booked the same exact flights on one PNR on Delta the cost would have been over $7000 even with mixed cabins.
the new thing is recheck your bags in LAX hope u have enough time
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:08 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
For next time keep in mind that you can often save a lot of time (and taxi fare) by flying into TSA (Songshan airport right in the middle of downtown Taipei, on top of a metro station or a few minutes by taxi to anywhere in city centre) vs. the inconveniently located TPE (Taoyuan airport 1h outside of Taipei and not even in Taipei county, but in Taoyuan county).

Personally I'd have taken KE via ICN to TSA or MU via PVG to TSA (CZ doesn't fly to TSA from CAN direct). The connection adds only about as much time as the taxi ride from TPE to TSA, and TSA immigration (always lightning fast) and going through it all the way is also is only some 2-3 minutes (max.) from stepping off the plane to stepping into a taxi or metro, unlike TPE where it takes quite a bit longer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.