Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

SCAM Alert: friend received an email for E-ticket never ordered???

SCAM Alert: friend received an email for E-ticket never ordered???

Old Jun 15, 2012, 6:49 am
Company Representative - Delta Air Lines

Programs: Delta Air Lines
Originally Posted by NYCflip
DeltaPoints posted this in his blog:

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/deltap...lert-and-more/

Hope this helps. My guess it's a phishing email.
Spot on.

And if you are ever wondering if there are phising emails trying to say that they are from Delta, please do refer to this page for any phising email updates.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
All depends. Do you want to go to Plano?
WOW!! Flying to Plano in seat 75A
Old Jun 15, 2012, 7:34 am

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Originally Posted by FWAAA
I've been getting similar spam purporting to be from AA for the last several months, usually with a zip file attached. Fortunately, I know enough to simply delete them. Lately, other Flyertalkers are reporting receipt of similar spam.

Whatever you do, never open the attachments. Ever.
I've gotten them from AA too. Since I've never flown AA it was pretty easy to conclude it was spam.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 8:15 am

Programs: Delta Ballast Medallion, Card Carrying Honorary KM
Sorry guys - I'm usually more on top of things like this.
e-mail Phishing scam

Phishing Email Alert
We have recently received reports from customers of fraudulent emails claiming to be from Delta Air Lines. As such, please be advised of the following:
We recommend you change your SkyMiles account PIN immediately and monitor your account for any misuse.

These emails were not sent by Delta Air Lines.

You should not click on the link in the email or open any attachments.
Instead, you should delete the email from your inbox.

These emails claim that you have purchased a Delta ticket, a credit card has been charged and/or an invoice or receipt is attached to the email. If you receive one of these emails, do not open the attachment as it may contain potentially dangerous viruses or harm your computer.

Be assured that Delta did not send these emails, and our customers’ credit cards have not been charged by Delta as a result of the emails. These emails did not originate from Delta, nor do we believe that any personal information that you provided us was used to generate these emails. We will continue to post updates on this page as additional information becomes available.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 8:41 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by OnTimePlease
I just hope this isn't a sign that Delta has been hacked and our customer account information released. Skymilesinsider, can you check with Delta on this?

Thanks

OTP
This is not the case. Phishers, scammers, and spammers send out stuff like this all the time pretending to be Facebook, LinkedIn, PayPal, banks, UPS, Amazon, FedEx, etc. They intentionally pretend to be someone that is used by millions of people. They do not need your account info from Delta or anyone else, they are just sending out a massive email blast to millions of people (whether they are a DL flyer or not). They only need a fraction of a percent to actually think it's from DL for them to benefit.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 9:27 am
Company Representative - Delta Air Lines

Programs: SkyMiles
Originally Posted by OnTimePlease
I just hope this isn't a sign that Delta has been hacked and our customer account information released. Skymilesinsider, can you check with Delta on this?

Thanks

OTP
As others have pointed out, more details are posted on delta.com when you click on the "advisory" from the home page. This is what you may have seen in a few media reports as well:

“Because Delta is not the source of the fraudulent email, we cannot speculate on how the addresses were obtained or how many emails were sent. Delta’s information security team is continuing to monitor the situation.”
Old Jun 15, 2012, 1:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by NYCflip
DeltaPoints posted this in his blog:

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/deltap...lert-and-more/

Hope this helps. My guess it's a phishing email.

Originally Posted by Danny_DeltaeCommerce
Spot on.

And if you are ever wondering if there are phising emails trying to say that they are from Delta, please do refer to this page for any phising email updates.
Thanks NYCflip & Danny! Try to keep readers safe and big + + for Delta quick to post at Delta.com!
Old Jun 15, 2012, 1:38 pm

Programs: DLPlat
It is indeed more than a phish and a stinky one too. DL has been scammed somehow. The scary thing is if someone hacked DLs email lists. It has a .zip file attached to it with an exe inside. If anyone opened that .exe file, their computer has been compromised if their security didn't catch it. DL never ever sends an "Order Completed" email.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Danny_DeltaeCommerce
Spot on.

Thanks for your efforts. I appreciate that. I didn't realize know that but, it was hacked email and it's not my email. I am already deleted it. When I saw on spam mail last night and I knew it was hacked email.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
I have changed my password as a precaution.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 4:13 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
All depends. Do you want to go to Plano?
If that is Plano, Tx., do they even have a commercial airport?

When I was a pup, I think they only had 2 gas stations.

Back on topic, obviously a scam, but not DL doing the scamming.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 3:14 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA (new!) Silver, AA Hater, Marriott Down to Gold, Hilton grunt
Originally Posted by skymilesinsider
As others have pointed out, more details are posted on delta.com when you click on the "advisory" from the home page. This is what you may have seen in a few media reports as well:

“Because Delta is not the source of the fraudulent email, we cannot speculate on how the addresses were obtained or how many emails were sent. Delta’s information security team is continuing to monitor the situation.”
Not that I work in Information System Security - Oh Wait, Yes I do!

This response is not a direct answer to my question. Delta customers would like to know if Delta has any indication that client accounts have been compromised. The fact that your servers are not being used to send these e-mails does not preclude the use of your customer list to increase the likelihood of targets opening attachments. I respectfully ask for an answer to my question.

OTP
Old Jun 17, 2012, 6:56 am

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
While it is entirely possible that there was a security breach, if they sent the phishing email to 10,000,000 people, some fraction of those are going to be Delta customers. Correlation is not evidence of causation.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 5:56 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Platinum
I used to do a lot of tech support helping people understand how to spot a fake e-mail.

Look at the ticket number here. It doesn't start with 006. That should give you a good indication it's not a Delta ticket and should be viewed with skepticism.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 5:25 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA (new!) Silver, AA Hater, Marriott Down to Gold, Hilton grunt
Originally Posted by DeltaFan4Now
While it is entirely possible that there was a security breach, if they sent the phishing email to 10,000,000 people, some fraction of those are going to be Delta customers. Correlation is not evidence of causation.
Yet getting strait answers from Delta can potentially alleviate a lot of damage. If I had a buck for everyone who gave me excuses or wanted everyone in their organization to just look the other way, I would be retired. On the other hand, refusing to acknowledge a breach of customer data resulting in damages can also make for a windfall.

I just search for the truth to protect the innocent user that may not look or know how to look for tell tail signs of fraud. If that's bad, just shoot me now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.